Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candib View Post
I have a home that is technically a 4 bedroom 2 bath. The 4th bedroom is really just one be loft with a closet and not a true bedroom. Here is a link if you would like to view for yourself

***http://www.homedatabase.com/FX6497458*** (broken link)

My agent has listed this as a 4 bedroom but I am wondering if people might feel let down when they come to view the house. I have tried to ask my agents but they keep dodging the question and switch the subject by telling me to repaint the outside of the house a more neutral color.. I am not buying that my house is not selling because it is green. Seriously though, if I could get some professional opinions on 3 or 4 bedrooms for the listing that would be great! Thanks everyone.

FINALLY! someone with color in their home. I LOVE your home including almost all of the colors including the outside color (of course that's because mine is a similar color - a little lighter though, here's a picture of the back of my house).

Okay now on to the 3/4 bedroom question. personally speaking i would not consider the lofted area a bedroom even though it does have a closet and if i was in the market for a 4 bedroom home i would be a little upset/bothered that it isn't a true 4 bedroom home. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 26,165 times
Thanks so much, the paint job was done 2 years ago and ran me about 5K as I had many rotten boards replaced in the process. The colors actually go well in one of the only contemporary neighborhoods NOVA has to offer. Are you really put off by the colors or did you just think a fresh paint job would be a good selling point?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Thank you so much, it makes me feel good to have some reinforcement on my color choices. I believe after reading everyone's post I will indeed change my listing accordingly.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
Does the loft have a window and a true heat source (not a space heater or anything like that)?

Yes the loft has 4 big windows and receive HVAC centrally just like the rest of the house.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candib View Post
Thank you so much, it makes me feel good to have some reinforcement on my color choices. I believe after reading everyone's post I will indeed change my listing accordingly.
i do believe changing your listing is the best thing to do. The important thing about your exterior color is does it work with your neighborhood? i forgot to show you the colors on my home (it used to be extremely dark brown and red - dh picked those colors, i picked these). actually this picture is of my shed (the house has the same colors but with regular black shutters - dh made the ones for the shed).
Attached Thumbnails
Should I list as a 3 or 4 bedroom home?-shed.jpg  

Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I don't think the color is bad at all. The only concern I would have is how dark the trim is since sun tends to play havoc with dark colors. It wouldn't stop me from buying it since that is an easy fix. It's nice to see a house that isn't just like all the rest.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM

105 posts, read 400,406 times
i am also agreeing with some of the other people...i think its the trim that makes the paint look dated-even though its only 2 years old. A lighter beige, tan etc might really make the house pop....all those windows will really pop out and be highlighted by a lighter color in a neutral family.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Our current house is exactly what you describe,and it's listed as a 3 bedroom with a bonus room that is possibly a 4th or media room. It has a closet,heat,window but tax records show 3 bedroom. I think it's devious to list it any other way. Having been sued a few houses ago because I followed what my agent said knowing it was most likely shady I found it's not worth the risk to be anything but above board.
You got sued? What was the outcome?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I ended up having to pay the buyer around 6k and my attorney 2k. The agent got off scot free since my attorney said it would cost more to go after him than it was worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate