Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Hi group,

I have a piece of property with a house on a double lot, and one option is to sell the existing house and build on the adjacent lot.

On the one hand, selling the entire property as is puts the property into another (higher) economic bracket, which may rule out a certain segment of buyers, and breaking the property up will invite additional buyers due to the reduced price. Given the state of the market, I think this is probably a significant factor.

On the other hand, selling the house and building on the adjacent lot may deter potential buyers who won't want to put up with the noise/disruption next door.

How much more difficult of a sell is the house to a potential buyer knowing that they will be living next to a construction site for six months or so?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi group,

On the other hand, selling the house and building on the adjacent lot may deter potential buyers who won't want to put up with the noise/disruption next door.
I wouldn't buy that house if I have other choice.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
I wouldn't buy that house if I have other choice.
I would IF I was getting a significant discount to 'compensate ' me for the noise, dust, etc. And, if course, if I loved the house. In the end, this plan ALSO reduces your potential buyer pool.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far . . . totally understand where you're coming from.

My other option, of course, is to list it both ways . . . both with and without the adjacent lot, and see what happens.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Are you legally required to disclose the fact that you are considering building a home on the 2nd lot?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Do you need to get a zoning variance to split the property? If so, that needs to be disclosed. Do you know what the legal description of the property is?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Are you legally required to disclose the fact that you are considering building a home on the 2nd lot?
Not sure about legal, but I'm morally obligated to do so.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Do you need to get a zoning variance to split the property? If so, that needs to be disclosed. Do you know what the legal description of the property is?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
No zoning variance required; it's already split up as two separate properties.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
I bought in an unfinished development. Construction is temporary.

I would be less concerned THAT something is being built next door and more concerned with WHAT is being built next door. Show the buyers your plans, renderings and construction schedule.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
I bought in an unfinished development. Construction is temporary.

I would be less concerned THAT something is being built next door and more concerned with WHAT is being built next door. Show the buyers your plans, renderings and construction schedule.
Absolutely, that is my intent . . . the good news for the potential buyer is that they would know exactly what is being built next door to them, and just as importantly, *who* will be living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate