Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
If you read my original post, you can see that the same house with the identical contract (including price) yielded 2 different appraisals. $30,000 difference and all that was different was the appraiser...

The contract price is relevant as one data point. USPAP requires appraisers to consider all the terms and conditions of the contract.
The contract itself is relevant for consideration of seller concessions. The price itself is not.

I can list and sell my house for $500,000 and somebody may be willing to pay that. But that doesn't mean that the market will bear that price and the lender won't loan that kind of money on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM

143 posts, read 385,929 times
I will probably regret wading into this, and I don't really have a dog in this race. But isn't the very definition of what "the market will bear" that a buyer is willing to pay the price? So if a buyer is willing to pay $500,000, doesn't that mean by definition that the market will bear $500,000?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points in this thread Annemieke. I'm just confused about that part of it.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
I will probably regret wading into this, and I don't really have a dog in this race. But isn't the very definition of what "the market will bear" that a buyer is willing to pay the price? So if a buyer is willing to pay $500,000, doesn't that mean by definition that the market will bear $500,000?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points in this thread Annemieke. I'm just confused about that part of it.
"The Market" is not one sale. If the bank takes over the house they aren't going to be selling the house back to the same person who bought it at the same price.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
If that buyer is paying cash and is willing to pay $500K for the house, that's his business.

If that buyer needs to use other people's money to finance the purchase, that $500K has to have some basis for reality.

If it was your money, would you lend the buyer $500K if one or more apprasials said the market value is substantially less than $500K and for example, the unsold inventory remains high and values continue to decline which is how it remains in many parts of the U.S., right now. The unsold inventories in local markets is the best near term crystal ball.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 39,997 times
Appraisals are not that objective. In my case, there was a $30,000 difference between 2 appraisals done within a couple weeks of each other based on which comps they used and how much was adjusted. Since that is the case and lenders can't take a "range", the contract price seems relevant. If there is an acceptable range that can be within 5-10% of purchase price, why can't the appraiser look at the fact that the buyer is willing to pay that much as evidence to support the higher side of the acceptable range.

Unsold inventory is important but in our case, according to our buyers, all the available inventory nearby in a similar price range was in much worse condition than ours. The appraisal process gives some weight to condition but I bet it is less than some buyers would.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
Appraisals are not that objective.
It is a violation of both federal and state laws and comes with both civil and criminal penalties to be less than objective. It is stated specifically that an appraiser cannot be an advocate and that an appraiser cannot be biased. Crossing that line is, at a minimum, cause for revocation of their license and the appraiser can incur fines amounting to as much as $10,000 per day from the time the report is filed to the time the bias/advocacy is discovered. These laws are found in the individual states statutes as well as in Dodd-Frank Act and the Truth in Lending Act.

Outlandish, you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about and are spreading lies and misinformation. Please quit it as you are misleading other readers. Share your own experiences and allow others to read into it what they will. But please do not make misleading statements that are presented as facts. Others may not know how little you know or how misinformed you are.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
It is a violation of both federal and state laws and comes with both civil and criminal penalties to be less than objective. It is stated specifically that an appraiser cannot be an advocate and that an appraiser cannot be biased. Crossing that line is, at a minimum, cause for revocation of their license and the appraiser can incur fines amounting to as much as $10,000 per day from the time the report is filed to the time the bias/advocacy is discovered. These laws are found in the individual states statutes as well as in Dodd-Frank Act and the Truth in Lending Act.

Outlandish, you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about and are spreading lies and misinformation. Please quit it as you are misleading other readers. Share your own experiences and allow others to read into it what they will. But please do not make misleading statements that are presented as facts. Others may not know how little you know or how misinformed you are.
Moderator cut: personal remarks

Everything I have stated is a fact. I did not say that appraisers do not try to be objective. I did not say that appraisers are biased. I am saying that appraising in general is not that objective. Case in point, the $30,000 difference by 2 appraisers in the span of 2 weeks--same property, same contract. Explain how that can occur if appraising is so objective.

If you spend any time on the appraisal forums you will see that appraisers themselves acknowledge that it is an opinion of value and that there is not one number that every appraiser will settle on. Many appraisers would rather give a range than a specific number (even an appraiser in this thread acknowledged that).

I was stating my opinion that since there appears to be an acceptable range (judging by my own experience with 2 apparently reputable appraisers), that the appraiser could use the contract price as a data point (as long as the contract price is within that range).

Please enlighten me as to what lies and misinformation I am spreading. Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 04-18-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 PM

By the way, regarding my not having a clue, I was able to put together an appraisal appeal that got the lender to order a field review. I did this after thoroughly researching many different resources, including USPAP and appraisal forums. I'll say it again, it's not rocket science. Even among appraisers, there are differences of opinion on many different aspects of appraising.

Your profile says that you are a residential real estate appraiser, so I guess I understand better why you are so upset.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
anytime you state that "Appraisals are not that objective." you are both lying and spreading misinformation. Just as there are those cops who use their authority inappropriately, the great majority are are honest hardworking public servants so are there appraisers who are not impartial. But the overwhelming majority are. so please, quit lying because you are frustrated.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM

143 posts, read 385,929 times
The opposite of "objective" is not "biased." It is "subjective." Objective means there is no judgement involved. For an appraisal to be completely objective, it would need to be based 100% on measurable factors, which are agreed upon by all parties and weighted the same way by everyone. The result would be the same every time, given the same property and market, no matter the appraiser. That is demonstrably not the case. It is not an insult to appraisers to say it's somewhat subjective. In fact, I'd say it's more of an insult to say it's totally objective, because the hard-earned judgement they bring to the table is what makes a skilled appraiser valuable, isn't it? If all they're doing is plugging numbers into a known formula, to get a totally objective result, anyone who can type can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate