Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,695 times

Advertisements

First, do you like tennis, play any at all, and the price of 75 thousands seems way to high, pending what your intentions are to do. I play lots of tennis, so would be of great interest to me, but sounds like you do not play, and to somewhat maintain or keep the clay in good condition is a ton of work and a great garden is also with tons of maintenance. So do what you enjoy the most and the future would not be my concern about future buyers as no matter your choice, there is always buyers for the both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
First off, there's no rush; you have time to think about what you want to do.

There have been times and places where a tennis court has been a benefit to the market value, and you may live in one of those places, but tennis is far less popular than it was 40-50 years ago, so I would think that more potential buyers would think of it as a burden rather than a benefit.

If your clay court is in bad shape it will probably cost a lot to get it up to playing condition, and a lot to maintain it. You can get estimates, but it's only worth it if you're going to use it a lot.

If you enjoy gardening it seems reasonable to remove the court and replace it with a garden, but of course that also takes a lot of work. If you like gardening well enough to relish the idea of putting in and installing a tennis-court-sized garden, do it. you don't have to do it all at once. I went on a garden tour last summer and many of the gardens we saw were beautiful and started out very small. You might try this, starting with something you think you like and building on that.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
First, do you like tennis, play any at all, and the price of 75 thousands seems way to high, pending what your intentions are to do. I play lots of tennis, so would be of great interest to me, but sounds like you do not play, and to somewhat maintain or keep the clay in good condition is a ton of work and a great garden is also with tons of maintenance. So do what you enjoy the most and the future would not be my concern about future buyers as no matter your choice, there is always buyers for the both!
Agree. If you don't play and don't really want to learn to play tennis, then why have a court?

Honestly, IMO, it's as simple as that. I have been looking for houses and when I see a court, I'm OK with it, because I would play some basketball or have my little one play some sports on it (maybe he will like tennis), but I wouldn't want to pay $75K for something I didn't use. A garden (especially a low maintenance one, unless you like to spend your spare time gardening) would be best IMO, unless you are a tennis player.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I second this. Aren't people tired of living according to what future potential buyers might like? This isn't a flip it's your home and it sounds lovely. Put in the garden it that's what you want and enjoy it.

I third this.

I am so sick of people saying that they will do this, or that, because of selling, meanwhile they haven't even moved into the house.

Ugh, my house, I do what I want, I don't give a rats arss what I think a potential buyer somewhere down the line, (if ever) will want....

When I moved into my home, trust me, it wasnt updated, and I'm glad, I didnt want to pay for someone elses taste.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Do the garden and do it nicely! Hire a LA and have them design something nice with seating, maybe a patio area incorporated into it? Hard to know without knowing what your whole yard looks like...

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Garden & outdoor living space, possibly consider an orangery with dressing area for the pool. This would give you more months of outdoor living than building a cabana or strictly a garden alone.

Orangery, Orangeries, Orangery Design, Hardwood Timber Orangeries | David Salisbury

Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 AM

60 posts, read 98,211 times
hi guys so about how much does it cost to build a hard court? with and without lights.

I am searching for my new house and I am also thinking about maybe building a court with it. So do you need a permit? Noise level distance etc to your neighbors? how big of lot do you need and how much does it cost? also if you have additions to your house like new porch, extra bathroom etc it will add value to your house...but maybe not for tennis court since it's not common? maybe will drop the house's value or people won't even consider buying your house coz it got a court? anyone got experience in this? thanks for your help

Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
The only worry I would have is that it might cost a lot to remove the entire tennis area and install soil suitable for a garden. The soil under the clay surface is no doubt pretty crummy for growing plants, and you would need to bring in many truckloads of suitable soil. An alternative is to talk to a hardscape expert, as there might be an attractive way to remove a few sections of the hard surface, bring in less soil, and use the remaining clay as either patio or walkways.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suiken01 View Post
hi guys so about how much does it cost to build a hard court? with and without lights.

I am searching for my new house and I am also thinking about maybe building a court with it. So do you need a permit? Noise level distance etc to your neighbors? how big of lot do you need and how much does it cost? also if you have additions to your house like new porch, extra bathroom etc it will add value to your house...but maybe not for tennis court since it's not common? maybe will drop the house's value or people won't even consider buying your house coz it got a court? anyone got experience in this? thanks for your help
Talk to someone in your local market who can answer your questions, since these depend 100% on how your local market participants will treat these items. Hopefully, a real estate professional such as an appraiser, familiar not just with the city, but the specific neighborhood where you are looking. No one here can even give you a hint.....believe me.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
Never decorate YOUR home for OTHER people.

And to add to that. Is there a way you can hide the court itself so that maybe in the future it can be uncovered and refurbished? Dump 8" of topsoil on it and plant grass, then in the future that can be scraped off if someone wants to? Or get rid of the white lines, have a faux finisher make it look like patio pavers, then use planters, raised beds, square foot gardening around and through it? In other words, turn it into a garden area without actually ruining the clay court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate