Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--can remember the broiler pan from my earlier years--and you are right it has been long time since I dealt with a stove's oven...although my daughter's house (same vintage as this one but not remodeled) still has one and she and SIL cooked a great Thanksgiving dinner with just one oven and 3 3 working burners...

I guess I don't have as much patience with bad design/functionality
I want things to work right
My daughter says that the guys who own this house and planned the remodel do lot of cooking and it wasn't even the first kitchen they have redone--
so it might just be preference
maybe they cook with more fresh food from the fridge

My current kitchen has walk-in pantry that has a window (love that), is about 8 ft wide and 4 ft deep with shelving (non-adjustable :-( though), and no electrical outlets (a mistake)
plus all the base cabs in my kitchen have roll out shelves...with drawers under the gas cook top
it is really a great kitchen...
now when I go other other people's houses I notice how user-friendly mine is
think part of that comes because owners who built the house had mother/MIL living with them who used wheelchair and they modified some of the house to make it user friendly for her
my d/w is also raised so you don't break your back putting dishes in/out...
If you want a pantry like you have now, you are probably gonna spend a ton of money on a huge home or else build a custom home, or remodel an existing home and spend $$(that you might never make back) for the perfect kitchen and you might have to take away a bedroom to make a pantry that large .

Or settle and know that you have a wonderful kitchen in your current home and the kitchen in the vacation home isn't as nice as the one in your current home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 AM

57 posts, read 75,979 times
Same town-yes but same neighborhood NO. Too close to give the space & privacy needed. Being close is a great thing but being next door= too much.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
5 year old thread. I wonder if she ended up buying next to her daughter? If so, how did it work out?

Would be nice to get the end of the story

Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
OP is still an active member here - hopefully she will see this and come and give an update!

I would not want my parents living right next door full time, but for a vacation home, I can see lots of advantages. And with my mom now widowed, I could also see where having her very close by is helpful. She's only about 15 minutes away, which isn't bad, but still means a half hour plus however much time if I need to stop by to help out with even something minor. I think a block or so away might be better, but I have a friend who shares a duplex with her parents and she thinks it's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate