Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
OP - you may know the market, but you don't know the buyer. Failure is accomplished by trying, and so is success. Success on the other hand can ONLY be be accomplished by trying.
I'm not sure what that means. We have decided to take the house off the market next month at the end of the contract. We are doing some upgrades and sprucing up and if a job elsewhere comes up, we'll close the house and put it back on the market. I'll replace the quality things, like fixtures with plastic and take the good ones with me, the area rugs, replace the nice window coverings with adequate ones, take the appliances and then, the bottom feeders can come in.

I wish we would have counter-offered with a higher than what it was on the market for though as someone suggested but other than that, no regrets. Did some background checking and know it was the decision to make.

My bet is the guy doesn't buy and I am keeping an eye on that. I love being right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
You'll be right with a house that may not sell.

In real estate when someone brings you an offer you don't like, just counter with a price you do like.

Very simple.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have decided to take the house off the market next month at the end of the contract.
That's what we did, we were originally motivated to sell because the bills were kinda tight with our mortgage. But decide we were not giving our house away, so we decided to keep it. Just because it's a buyers market, doesn't mean were going to accept what every crappy offer buyers throw out there.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Here's the thing ... home values are NOT hard. There is no such thing as intrinsic value in a home.

Even if I build a home and it cost $1 million ... how much value is there in that home? $1 million? $2 million? What if the best offer I get on it is $250k and that's the highest anyone is willing to pay for anything?

I have news for you: the market doesn't care what YOU think your home is worth, it only cares what IT thinks its worth. If people think your $1 million home is only worth $250k, then I have news for you: it's only worth $250k.

Buying and selling a home is like buying or selling any other commodity, like gold, silver, oil, wood, corn, salt. If the world is running out of salt, it will bid the price way up. If the world is awash in gold, the price will plummet. Same goes for homes.

You should never see your home as a piggy bank.

It is merely some wood and plaster, insulation, maybe brick, maybe composite or vinyl, some glass, and that's it. It's a HOME.

If you can't afford to sell, don't sell. If you must move, then sorry, the market is a game run by numbers.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 AM

I surely don't consider what one potential buyer had to offer reflected the value of the house anymore than what we see the value of the house to be. I'm just not getting that. Also, it is not clear to me why they asked for items not being offered as an option at the asking price. I got the idea from something the realtor said that they would give us back some of the appliances, etc. in a negotiation but they were ours in the first place? It perplexed me on the appliances because the realtor had said not to list them as an option but I had thought listing the range and refrigerator, since our property would be attractive to entry level buyers, would be attractive to someone just starting out on a more limited budget.

There are actually other things that did not set right in the deal and how it was going down. You know when something is right and this wasn't.

I didn't mention that I don't like games of any kind and take money very seriously. So, we are content to pull it from the market.

Thanks to everyone and this has really helped us make our minds up and feel good about the decision.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM

244 posts, read 634,138 times
Wow, I had no idea people offering 25% below selling was common place. I thought my 10-12% below Listing starting offers were borederline. Apparently I have to rethink my negotiation tactics lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
My bet is the guy doesn't buy and I am keeping an eye on that. I love being right!
So what exactly were you right about?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what that means.
It means some buyers are willing to pay Way more than their initial offer, but you will never know since you didn't "fish" for a higher price other than the one you were asking.

Sprucing up the place sounds like a good idea - the last couple years in my area though, the most activity has been early spring to mid-summer - after that, spruced-up or not, things have moved VERY slow.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Is it common in your area to exclude appliances and window treatments from a real estate purchase?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is it common in your area to exclude appliances and window treatments from a real estate purchase?
Apparently it is. Most people take everything with them and leave the house totally empty which is what we plan to do eventually. Supposedly, sometimes the range and/or frig are asked for with the washer/dryer usually not staying. We were going to leave window blinds/shades which I will still do but take the expensive rods, etc. with me. They asked for the area rugs, room size also. None of this would have been an issue if not for the 25% below asking that they offered. All appliances are nice, clean and 5 years or less old.

I was told that the buyer would not be willing to go up much on price. It was best for him to also not haggle since he wanted a pretty quick possession.

Lots of people are finding it to their advantage to take just take the money they would lose on the current house and put it into improvements and repairs on the current unless they MUST relocate. In total, we would need $10,000 to $15,000 after the proposed sale to replace the house (not to mention the cost of replacing appliances, etc.) with something similar so, $10,000 to $15,000 could mean a newer vehicle or maybe a camper or a Disney Dream Vacation and still own a home with a large lot in a place where we have two incomes. So, why would have made sense to sign this sales contract?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 04-18-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate