Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that perhaps I don't understand the "Counter Offer" game. I think it wasn't something people did so much until the market became so slow but the market is picking up and looking better every day. At this point, we are wondering if we can afford to sell. Many properties have been pulled from the market because sale prices dropped. We had an offer that was almost 25% below our fairly (seriously we know the market here) priced home and on top of that they wanted all the newer nice appliances, ALL window coverings and we had offered SOME, the expensive 8 x 10 area rugs from each room and a closing date that was firm with no wiggle room. In the past, we did counter on a couple other places but this time, we didn't. I felt that we were too far apart. I told the realtor that I was surprised they did not ask for our dog! She said they asked for so much so that they could be in a position to negotiate. So, they didn't want to give up more cash so they took the appliances, etc. and slide them over to their side and were going to offer these back to us to bring down the price? I don't think she was particularly happy with us. I was not particularly happy with her either. So, I would only counter something that seemed reasonable to start out with and this wasn't it. The house will most likely come off the market next month. I wished her luck in finding them a house like this for the little money they had to offer - small town and I know the market. I see the market improving so anyone that can wait is probably in a better position now than before and I watch the market in a few other areas, cities and states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You are overthinking it. What is the harm in making a counter offer? Sounds like you are letting your emotions get in the way. This is business.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are overthinking it. What is the harm in making a counter offer? Sounds like you are letting your emotions get in the way. This is business.
Yep.

Often in negotiations, he who races to say "No" first, loses.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Make a counter offer you think is fair. Continue to counter until you don't think it could possibly work.

Buyers are all "looking for a deal". They don't understand that fair market value right now can be a real deal, with prices lower than they've been in many years. Our market appears to have stablized, multiple offers on well priced homes in good conditions. Many buyers don't get that.

FYI, I have found that buyers that come in super low, then work their way up in the counter offer process often end up using the inspection period as a way to bring the price back down. Beware and be prepared to say no if they are asking for unreasonable repairs/credits.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
When we sold our house last the offer we got was waaay off to start, so my first counter I took a bit of a cut, then they barely moved on their counter, so I did the same. After 18 counter offers we actually had a deal...I was surprised. My wife was very emotional and told me she wanted to quit negtiations about halfway through the process, she felt slighted. At that point I took over the negotiations and got what i felt was a fair deal, that now looking back 2 years was great for us. I always counter, but i am not a pushover.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We had an offer that was almost 25% below our fairly (seriously we know the market here) priced home
basically your whole thread is predicated upon the belief that, "seriously, you know the market there."

Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
OP, just curious as to what data you are using to assume that you know the actual market so well and why you believe prices will go up.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
The buyers are doing their completely predictable job. Your job is to get to the best deal you can both agree upon. It takes give and take until you get to that point. Now, rejecting an offer outright can be a legitimate 'negotiation' tool but it runs the risk of shutting everything down before you really get started. It's your call. It could be that your buyer isn't really qualified to buy your property and they are reaching. If that's the case, you are probably wasting your time but you can't discover that without a counter offer. As others have said, don't take it personally...it's a process.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
OP, just curious as to what data you are using to assume that you know the actual market so well and why you believe prices will go up.
Because he SERIOUSLY KNOWS the market there!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I bought my first house in 1964 and there were offers/counter offers back then. You can always counter with a $1K price drop, no inclusions, to see if they are really willing to negotiate; or more $$ if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate