Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 AM

210 posts, read 402,351 times

Advertisements

I'd like some honest opinions please. My wife and I both in our mid 50's found a house for sale orig 60k, dropped 5k in 3 months. We want to offer 45k, put up a 25%dp with 36 payments of $938.00 and monthly rent of $400.00 for the same 36 months, contingent on home inspection and deed/lien search. Owner bought in '88 for 36k and is now 92 yrs old, so we will structure payments to her and her estate with no pre payment penalty and no balloon. We will also pay property taxes/ home insurance, and maintain property with no major alterations to structure untill full sale complete. This will give her a lump sum and monthly income, and we will not be paying closing costs and assoc. banking fees. Anu opinions onthis and is there anything I left out to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 AM

84 posts, read 132,190 times
Hi Union,
Where is the lump sum? A woman of that age most likely wants the cash, all the cash now. You should do a life estate. Buy the property from her for a fair, but discounted price and let her live in the property until she dies or can no longer live there(Nursing Facility etc.) You still pay for all expenses. When she passes, the property is yours. Make sure she has her attorney review all docs.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack3902 View Post
I'd like some honest opinions please. My wife and I both in our mid 50's found a house for sale orig 60k, dropped 5k in 3 months. We want to offer 45k, put up a 25%dp with 36 payments of $938.00 and monthly rent of $400.00 for the same 36 months, contingent on home inspection and deed/lien search. Owner bought in '88 for 36k and is now 92 yrs old, so we will structure payments to her and her estate with no pre payment penalty and no balloon. We will also pay property taxes/ home insurance, and maintain property with no major alterations to structure untill full sale complete. This will give her a lump sum and monthly income, and we will not be paying closing costs and assoc. banking fees. Anu opinions onthis and is there anything I left out to be concerned about?
Typically when an owner takes back a mortgage they should be getting at least full market value because they are essentially taking an annuity.

We have no idea what the market value of that house is, so no one can tell you if 45k is a fair price. However, what the owner paid in '88 has no bearing on the current value of the home.

Here is what I think you are spelling out in the terms

45,000 purchase price
-11,250 down payment
33,750 balance paid in equal payments for 36 months

937.50 x 36 = 33,750 so you are suggesting paying this balance off in 36 months without interest. However there is a 400/month rent, which is unusual.

400/month rent. Are you going to live in the home and pay her rent? If you own the home (with a trust deed to her benefit) then you won't pay rent. To pay rent requires a lease of some sort. That 400 should be in the payment so that the mortgage payment would be 1,337.50. That way if you don't make that payment she can foreclose.

She is 92 years old. Where is she going to live when she has to move from her home?

Today she owns the home free and clear. Why would she want to sell the home that she owns free and clear, and has been in for 24 years.

If I were going to do any type of transaction with a 92 year old lady, I would make sure she had a trusted family member or her attorney involved so she has the guidance to make an educated decision.

To structure a transaction like this without her having family or legal guidance could come back to haunt you if one of the family members later comes forward to declare that she did not have the mental capacity, nor proper representation, to enter into a binding contract to sell her property.

Recently I was called by a lady to list her home for sale and help her buy a smaller place. When I looked into the smaller type unit and location she was mentioning, and the reasons she stated for moving, it just did not make sense.

Then over the next few days during conversations and stories she told me, it seemed to me that she may be affected by dementia. The way I saw it, this lady was much better off staying where she is than to make the type of move she was describing. She is in a nice community with good neighbors.

Since there was the appearance of dementia, I told her that I would like to talk to one of her sons, who live in the valley, so they could give us some assistance in this matter. (I was not going to enter into a listing contract with this lady to sell her home, "suspecting" that she did not have the mental capacity to make that decision.)

She said she would have one of her sons call me, but so far neither of the sons has contacted me. I doubt if they will, because at the moment she is much better off than she would be if she made the type of move she was discussing with me.

So my suggestion to you is to get some legal advice before entering into the transaction you describe.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
No telling how long that 92 y/o might live. There was a famous case in France, where private reverse mortages are common, where the lady lived to be 116 and her "buyer" had already died. Talk to an attorney about structuring it for your benefit. Make sure her heirs agree to it or you can and likely will be sued later.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:33 PM

210 posts, read 402,351 times
the house is a 112 yr old 2br 1300 sq ft victorian on .17 acre intown. Comps show 51k is market price however a house comped at 115k recently sold for 40k. And of course a r.e atty will write the documents and make any addendums required by either side, including her atty if she wants. The city this is in has been in it's own "recession" ever since the coal mines closed yrs ago, but the town is filled with victorians in various states of being from "stately to falling down".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate