U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM

943 posts, read 833,904 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure it is as attractive to locals who want to live in town.. we are in a pastoral setting. We will put it on the market w/ a realtor if there is no activity otherwise. Basically we are hoping our neighbors will sell first.
their home has been on the market since january with FSBO. I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart and stick up a sign in our yard too.
I would want to be respectful and not competitive. So attempting to sell it quietly and undercover for the moment is a good way of inching in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,582,866 times
yeah i think that sort of thing is discouraged.

the only way you could get a house sold here is to put it on the local forum.

they would probably move it to the classifieds, which means the "local" people would miss it... so you're out of luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM

197 posts, read 196,788 times
Take a look at the actual replies on the classifieds...mostly 0's. I put my property in VT on there a couple of times and there just does not seem to be even much viewing interest compared to the rest of the forum. I made a free website on webs.com as well as putting it on craigslist with a link to the website and I do get some traffic there. Good Luck! I do wish city data would have a classified section under each state and maybe there would be more traffic.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Default interested in moving to virginia

On the virginia forum (I think it was..) there were a few people talking it up about moving to VA..
my guess is they may peek in on my house too, or someone who has yet to arrive on City Data who gets curious, and who knows, they might just arrive in kismet.
Odd things happen all of the time in life.
Someone wins the lottery.
I DO recognize its a longshot, really, I'm not wearing rose colored glasses, just that I want (need) to inch my way in for my own sanity.
My husband and I have our grandson living with us, and he's only 3,
and we are looking at retirement. (Can you say tired, exhausted, head spinning??@&*%$!).
I cannot begin to explain how difficult it is to meld all of this together.. we have sold many other houses in the past with realtors, and there are ups and downs that we are not ready to submit ourselves to just yet. In the long run we likely will, and will likely be quite grateful, but for now i just can't jump in with both feet first until my neighbor sells.
THey have overpriced their house and are trying to sell it themselves.
THey will likely fetch a good amount in the end and that will help to elevate things for us...
so I watch and I wait and I think if I get a small amount of tire kickers through City Data I might get lucky. and if not I'll bite the bullet.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,442,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I was hoping not to.. (w/ a realtor)
I say you be better off listing your house on something like Craigslist or backpage. The ads on the city.data classified are all over the map. I seriously doubt any one seriously looking for a house is going to search though all those ads to look at your house. Have you considered a site like FSBO?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Tech Gromit..

Correct me if I'm not mistaken.. (cause I haven't checked the numbers lately)

FSBO takes either 2.5 or 3% of your sale, and that's if you sell it yourself,
however often a realtor will bring in a buyer after seeing your house there on FSBO, thus you give them their 3%, as well as FSBO's cut.. Ultimately you might as well have gone with a realtor and let them handle all the extra.
I had sold a house through FSBO and it wasn't a bad experience.

Basically tech, I haven't hopped the fence yet, hook, line, and sinker to
hand over the keys to a realtor. Because we've sold several houses (6 or 7?) and used a realtor all times but once, we have had our disenchantment override our pleasant experiences, so I think I have to summon up the courage, do a mental rally, before I am ready.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM

...also,

I am pretty creeped out by craigslist..

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,339,284 times
Quote:
Tech Gromit..

Correct me if I'm not mistaken.. (cause I haven't checked the numbers lately)

FSBO takes either 2.5 or 3% of your sale, and that's if you sell it yourself,
If that was true FSBO.com would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Hmm, well that's a very good point.

I haven't looked into it, and I'm not so sure I would go that route.. but I was under the assumption that they took some of the profit. .. and it may just simply be fees. I hadn't done my homework, as the horse hasn't yet led me in that direction, but thanks for the enlightenment. Well taken

Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM

19,782 posts, read 31,727,676 times
Quote:
...also,

I am pretty creeped out by craigslist..
"Creeped out" seems reasonable.

But, Craigslist gets eyeballs.
You just need a disposable email address, and then sift through the junk that comes your way.

There are plenty of creepy pervs looking at homes on Realtor.com, Trulia, Z, etc.
And IDXs. And newspaper ads. Etc. Etc.

Dwell on the buyer you want to attract, not the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate