U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-15-2012, 11:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,789,172 times
Default Visiting New Home models without real estate agent?

Hi All, I have a question for the professionals. As I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I'm working with my realtor for buying and selling. She was my buyer's agent for my previous house and has worked with my family for many years. Last weekend she took my husband and myself out to look at houses. We spent about 5 hours driving around and looking at houses and new developments. I was very grateful as she was showing us houses about an hour outside of her "normal" area.

From looking at these houses and cities we decided that we didn't want to live that far out. As we were in from out of town (although we are from this area and currently own a home in the area), we wanted to make the most of our trip so went out looking again the next day. We spent most of the day at new developments, and actually ended up at the development that we currently own a townhome in but rent out. Of course, we fell in love with a SFH that is an inventory home.

We got home later that day and called our agent and told her what we found and how we were in love and it was our dream home lol. She then proceeded to tell us that she couldn't help us or something along those lines because we went there without her. I don't understand this. We didn't want to drag her around another day when we were just looking and went out spur of the moment. We assumed she would have other plans or wouldn't be available last minute.

So what does this mean? Will she really not receive a commission? She has been communicating with the builder for us and trying to negotiate a contingent contract for us and I would hate that she would do all this and not receive compensation if it all works out.

I didn't see a sign stating I needed to be there with my agent, but then again I wasn't looking for it. Does an agent always have to go to a new builder community with a client?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:01 AM

3,354 posts, read 6,587,875 times
Something doesn't sound right. Did you tell the new home site, the one with the spec home that you were working with an agent? Most of the builders co-op or work with Realtors and most allow you to register your Realtor on your first visit.

What transpired in your conversation with the builder's rep?

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:35 AM

16,617 posts, read 13,830,338 times
Some (lesser) builders require your agent to be with you when you first come to their model home for your agent to get the commission. Your agent may not be able to help you if the builder is trying to get out of paying.

You should have your agent call the builder and discuss if they can still represent you. Most GOOD builders like buyers to be represented by good agents. It helps you understand what's going on and the transaction go smoother.

If the builder is not willing, it says a lot about how they do business. Go find a better builder. I do a lot of new construction and good builders appreciate what your agent can do for you.

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM

15,268 posts, read 19,539,493 times
There may not have been a sign. As Rakin said, some builders, even if you have an agent, have a policy that if you first look at one of their models without your agent physically present, they won't pay the agent (and some go to the extreme that you can't have your agent represent you - think about what that says). But they don't publicize this very much, for reasons that are no doubt obvious. Most agents know who these builders are in their area.

Did you "register" at the builder's? If so, was there a place on the card to indicate if you have an agent and, if so, their name and contact info? Did you tell the builder's representative that you are working with an agent?

I agree, have your agent contact the builder about their policy. If the policy is such that if you have representation, the builder won't pay a commission, you have two choices: move forward with no representation against a professional, or tell the builder that due to that policy, you will be looking elsewhere and that they are losing not just a commission but an entire sale, and see if the policy changes. Or, of course, there's a third choice - pay your agent's commission yourself and add that to the cost of the house, whatever that ultimately ends up being.

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM

18,181 posts, read 26,206,357 times
"Jane Doe is my real estate agent. She can be my agent here, or she can be my agent over at Whatever Farms. Which works better for your company?"

Most builders will make the right decision.

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,236,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Jane Doe is my real estate agent. She can be my agent here, or she can be my agent over at Whatever Farms. Which works better for your company?"

Most builders will make the right decision.
Mike is correct.

Let the builder know they have two choices.
  1. Your Way (with your agent), or
  2. the Highway (bye bye uncooperative builder)

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone. I think I'm understanding this better. I did fill out one of those cards, but I didn't put her name on it. I checked that I owned a home in the community, BUT I did tell the consultant that I was working with an agent. That's where I made my mistake. We honestly didn't think we liked the houses and left, saying no to seeing one of the spec houses they had. Decided down the street that we should see it since we were there, turned around and fell in love.

She has been in communication with the builder trying to negotiate a contract for us, so I'm assuming they will accept her. She was my buyer's agent there a few years ago when I bought my townhome and we went there first without an agent and she ended up receiving compensation. I believe they are a decent builder and will let us work with our agent. If not, your right there is another builder down the street who we love their houses as well so we will see. I wouldn't want to work with a company that acts like that. Thanks for all the info!

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Something doesn't sound right. Did you tell the new home site, the one with the spec home that you were working with an agent? Most of the builders co-op or work with Realtors and most allow you to register your Realtor on your first visit.

What transpired in your conversation with the builder's rep?
Yes I did tell them, but didn't put her name on the card. I didn't think we were interested at first.

On a side note I see you live in NOVA, that's where we are looking/moving back to.

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

16,617 posts, read 13,830,338 times
Some of the worst builders in our area actually discourage you from working with an agent. They will tell you it's to save money.

In reality, it is because the experienced agents know who has a bad reputation for building a bad product, poor service and non existent warranty work.

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM

4,281 posts, read 3,727,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Some (lesser) builders require your agent to be with you when you first come to their model home for your agent to get the commission. Your agent may not be able to help you if the builder is trying to get out of paying.

You should have your agent call the builder and discuss if they can still represent you. Most GOOD builders like buyers to be represented by good agents. It helps you understand what's going on and the transaction go smoother.

If the builder is not willing, it says a lot about how they do business. Go find a better builder. I do a lot of new construction and good builders appreciate what your agent can do for you.
I would not use the term lesser builders but as you are a real estate agent I can understand, but do you understand that the remark is very self serving and very indicative of issues/practices of your business that many do not like?

My last two homes were new purchases direct from the developer/their on site agent, so I do have some experience with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate