Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

NEWTON COUNTY, Ga. — A Newton County family says what should have been one of their happiest nights turned into a nightmare.

They said neighbors threatened them with guns and called the sheriff's office as they changed the locks on their new home

The Kalonji family was ecstatic when their son just closed on a foreclosed home that the whole family was moving into.

New homeowners met with gun-wielding neighbors | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
This is an obvious case of discrimination. When will it end?

If I owned the home and someone came to me holding a gun I would stand my ground. I am a licensed gun owner who also has a CCW permit. What right does someone else have to enforce anything?

The neighbors are the ones that should be in jail. Why not? What is wrong with the police in Newtown County Ga? A congressional investigation on the neighbors and police force must begin....

I am a combat wounded Vietnam Veteran; I had several guns pointed at me then fired and I am totally appalled at what occurred in Newtown County Ga..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
What's the basis for discrimination?

If any part of this story contains facts, it sounds like neighbors thought someone was breaking into the house and took matters into their own hands, instead of calling the Sheriff. Breaking in/squatting in vacant homes is increasingly common stuff, everywhere.

I am more inclined to call this an obvious case of stupidity on the part of the neighbors.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM

We citizens should not believe there is a place for a weapons holder having bad judgement. Our judgement must be undisputably true to the law. The neighbors did not act sensibly and I believe they are now criminals.

Wrongful thinking has absolutely no place in the mind of a weapons holder. It is short of saying "I viewed him as an intruder so my actions were in line with GA law and I have a right to remove what I believe to be intruders in another home"

All Police have the right to draw a weapon to protect the citizens but a citizen does not unless their life is in immediate danger so they only draw plan to use it. The homeowner that approached the new neighbor has absolutely NO human or CCW right to hold a gun to this man's head.....His weapon permit should be revoked and all of his weapons removed.

I am not black but fully understand discrimination. I know that "breaking in/squatting in vacant homes" is not common where I live. Gun laws clearly note that the weapon holder must not be stupid while owning a weapon much less drawing it on someone. If I were the person who had a weapon drawn on then forced to lay on the ground with a weapon on my head the neighbor would have a few caps in him by me. The neighbor would be threatening my life by drawing and placing a gun on my head.

This gentleman was discriminated against and the neighbor who drew his weapon should be in jail for a long time. The neighbor is really a felon now and the black gentleman should find a way to sue the police for just compensation. He now has increased PTSD and we can all thank the neighbor

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The reactionary neighbors need to be cited for menacing, at the very least.

Even better if their stupid guns were taken away from them.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM

126 posts, read 423,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What's the basis for discrimination?

If any part of this story contains facts, it sounds like neighbors thought someone was breaking into the house and took matters into their own hands, instead of calling the Sheriff. Breaking in/squatting in vacant homes is increasingly common stuff, everywhere.

I am more inclined to call this an obvious case of stupidity on the part of the neighbors.
What appears to be an interracial couple, and what one would assume were two white hicks playing citizen cop in the middle of Georgia. I'm not one to normally jump on the race train, but this sure smells of racism to me.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Breaking and entry into foreclosed homes is happening everywhere. That some may not be aware, does not mean it's not happening. Squatting is increasingly common, too.

Good for the neighbors to be concerned. Bad, bad call on the neighbors' part to approach with guns.

The race of the gun wielding neighbors and/or the sheriffs who arrested these people was not mentioned. Jumping to conclusions as it relates to limited information is prejudice in action.

Until the new owners could demonstrate their ownership, there was no factual basis to think they were not intruders.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I'm still waiting on why this is discrimination? I'm not excusing or advocating the behavior of the neighbors but I see no indication of discrimination.
1-We don't know the race of the entire family that bought the house.
2-We don't know the race of the neighbors.
3-We don't know the race of the arresting officer.
4-There is no indication anywhere that race played a role in any of the events. Only that the neighbor thought someone was breaking into the house and played vigilante.

It's good to have watch dog neighbors. They aren't even necessarily bad people. They were trying to prevent what they thought was a crime. They just went too far.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
What appears to be an interracial couple, and what one would assume were two white hicks playing citizen cop in the middle of Georgia. I'm not one to normally jump on the race train, but this sure smells of racism to me.
Why does it smell of racism? Do you have some reason to believe that if the couple trying to get into the house, (which had been vacant for seven months) and who had nothing to prove their ownership of the house, were of some other race (and which other, as there was apparently one white person and one black person) then the "two white hicks" would have reacted differently?

I'll agree that the neighbors acted foolishly, perhaps even stupidly. But I see no racism here.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM

If as you say the "two white hicks" ..."were of some other race then the two white hicks would have reacted differently" is a statement that is pure racism.

Seeing a person of another race and acting in a violent manner is an act no one needs. Then he took the law into his own hands! ! !..There is absolutely no excuse for this to happen and we should try to help adjust the racism behavior and consistent negative attitude of those that still believe there is a difference.

A man is a man; a woman is a woman and a human being is a human being. That’s it....What really cries out for help is our society in general. If one person believes that racism is not found here then we have failed to teach the real facts on why we should never treat another person on a higher or lower plain than another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate