Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM

32 posts, read 130,091 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

my brother in-law is purchasing a house, he and my sister have been married 14 years but due to student loan debt on my sister's part, he doesn't want to put her name on the Mortgage or the Deed. They also have 2 biological kids together. What are her rights if he passes or divorces her? They live in New York State which is a an Equitable distribution state, (not sure exactly what this means).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
What her rights are depends on state laws.

She can still be on the deed so she has rights of survivorship, without being on the mortgage. Happens all the time.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM

8,544 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What her rights are depends on state laws.

She can still be on the deed so she has rights of survivorship, without being on the mortgage. Happens all the time.
Exactly what I was going to say. She doesn't have to be on the mortgage application, but putting her on the deed will be beneficial should something unfortunate happen.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 PM

36 posts, read 86,900 times
I don't know about in NY, but in Indiana 2/3rds would go to their children. I am not on our mortgage but I am a deeded owner of our property.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicia327 View Post
Hi Everybody!

my brother in-law is purchasing a house, he and my sister have been married 14 years but due to student loan debt on my sister's part, he doesn't want to put her name on the Mortgage or the Deed. They also have 2 biological kids together. What are her rights if he passes or divorces her? They live in New York State which is a an Equitable distribution state, (not sure exactly what this means).
Not being on the mortgage - yay for her! No financial obligation for the debt.

In many states she has rights to the home as his spouse if he dies. If her state recognizes "tenancy by the entirety" she's fine, don't worry.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Although the surface appearance is that the hubby is doing something "unequal" the fact is that states like NY which does allow TBE it basically means that for the purposes of ownership the "marrie couple" is one legal entity and neither party to the marriage has any ability to unilaterally sever the tenancy. The advantage that there is by not having wife on the mortgage is that should husband die the debt dies with him and is not automaatically the burden of the wife. Of course the details of insurance and estate law and even divorce / family law are too intricat for an Internet forum but the bottom line is that this is a perfect "fair and honest" way to deal with a spouse that would only hurt the ability to get the best rate on a mortgage...

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Wouldn't make any difference in NJ. Wife still gets her fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate