Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Believe me, I would love to but the house really fits are needs and no other like it is available-time is not on our side. Of course, we will see what comes up between now and contract signing.
But you have handed earnest money over, no? If you walk you will give that up. If the house is right for you, then simply abide by the contract you originally signed.

Many, many times there are big problems getting from the contract acceptance to closing. You've put out one fire. Just keep the original contract and you will be OK. If you make an addendum to your contract, both parties have to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But you have handed earnest money over, no? If you walk you will give that up. If the house is right for you, then simply abide by the contract you originally signed.

Many, many times there are big problems getting from the contract acceptance to closing. You've put out one fire. Just keep the original contract and you will be OK. If you make an addendum to your contract, both parties have to agree.
This is a common misconception. It may vary from state to state, but you do not lose your earnest money except under very special circumstances. We had a buyer walk the week before closing. We put a deposit down on a rental, notice to my job, donated all our old furniture we were using to stage. We didn't get to keep any of the money.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,038 times
Hi there ...

Boy, here is a subject on which I bet everyone has an opinion that differs only by which side of the sale one is on. So, maybe the people involved in the sale then are not in the best possible position to decide what to do and how to proceed with no prejudice.

Every state has a real estate licensing authority of some kind. Real estate salesmen need a license in every state. Someone in each state enforces those licenses. And, as far as I know, every state has a place to go to file a complaint against any real estate salesperson and that action can possibly result in the revocation of the sales person's license. This is the place to go with this kind of complaint.

Also, most areas of the country have a county "Board of Realtors" or maybe a group of counties have a combined Board. This is a professional organization whose purpose is to maintain the standards of practice for anyone calling himself a "Realtor". This group has a complaint process also.

My feeling is that it is appropriate for anyone with a question regarding any real estate transaction to contact the authoritity and ask a simple question such as ... "Do I understand correctly that it is proper/improper conduct for a salesperson/Realtor to ...then insert the situation". In most cases, once a complaint has been filed, it must be answered in some manner within a specific time frame. Things differ greatly from state to state so it is hard to be much more specific than that. But, if you have trouble finding either the real estate licensing agency in your state or the local Board of Realtors, contact the Attorney General's office in your state capital and they will have the information.

One of the first lessons I learned in the real estate business is that a Realtor doesn't have to like the customer or what s/he does, and a customer doesn't have to like the Realtor and what s/he does, but they both are bound by the law and they both have to follow it. If one of them is off base or out of line, there is a place to go to get a situation resolved.

JW

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,475 times
If there has been a violation of law, then by all means file a complaint. But if you start dealing with a gov't agency when you aren't sure if a situation is legal, then you are unnecessarily bringing liability onto the professional and that can affect their ability to obtain e&o insurance.

The better option is to do your own research as to what the law is without contacting a gov't agency. Or else, you may find that professional reversing the roles on you and contacting various gov't agencies (maybe the IRS or child welfare services) just to 'ask a simple question' as to whether or not your behaviors are legal, or not. Be careful what you ask for.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,038 times
Let me see if I understand this right ....

"If you are buying or selling a house, and your Realtor does something that you think is suspicious, be careful who you talk to but especially don't contact a regulatory agency to get the answer because you might aggravate the Realtor who might then whisper in the ear of the IRS and/or worse yet a Child Welfare Agency and they might investigate you instead and make your life miserable just because you asked a simple, little question."

Is that about it?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,475 times
Since when do you get real estate questions answered at a licensing authority? Yeah, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate