Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM

165 posts, read 329,273 times

Advertisements

We may start looking for a new home soon and we'd need a buyers agent to help us out. How do I go about finding a good agent? We don't know any in this area so I guess we'd have to interview some. What should I ask? What should I look out for?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM

198 posts, read 464,382 times
When you find one let me know, I have asked this question before.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Do a CD search on that topic. Someone recently posted a great list of questions to ask. You can meet them by going to open houses, dropping in on some of the offices locally (but then you are at the mercy of who is working the up desk), but best of all ask your friends/colleagues who they recommend.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Go to the city or state on C-D and review posts from local, knowledgeable folks. Then call, or email or DM and interview several that you feel would make a good match.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Interview at least 3. Ask a couple of friends who have bought about their agents and if they'd recommend theirs or not. Look on the internet and see who has done a good job marketing.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 AM

244 posts, read 634,138 times
We were very much self starters, did a ton of internet research and started calling some agents who were selling houses we were slightly interested in. Then after meeting a few we found one that we just clicked with.

She was never pushy with her own properties, always willing to be flexible with our timeline, loved that we did a lot of research on our own and we had good rapport with. It worked well for us.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 AM

71 posts, read 157,631 times
If you already have a lender, ask the lender for recommendations/referral for an agent. If you do not yet have a lender, do an internet search for your local board of real estate agents/realtors for top agents. Schedule an appointment and interview them. You may want to check the National Association of Realtor's site for tips on how to interview an agent and what to look for in an agent. As the previous poster, you should "click" with the agent. Some employers have relationships with real estate professionals, you may want to ask our HR department. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
What area of MA are you looking in? I tend to travel quite a bit for clients who ask me to help them and so I've worked with a number of different agents around the state. I may be able to give you some names to get you started.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Read, research... don't forget the reviews & ratings.
An agent who have a high number of closings with a 5 star & actual people making an effort to write that positive note about them is always a good starting point.

Oh... a busy agent (= already established & do not have to pull too much contacts), an experienced agent (plus, plus) who is not a part-timer are good too... they will be too busy out showing many many properties... with no extra "loitering" time to solicit.

(Yes... there are the good ones who gets all the business... and really they don't have that down time to even be here.
They will be trying to spend some precious moments with their family if they actually have some down time.)

Best is to treat it all business... because it is just that. Business.

Even as an investment for you that "personal" home buyer... it is best to take that emotions out.

Remember, emotions shows "weakness" especially when making a sale... have no place in any good advantageous business dealings.

Make it quick & efficient for that buyer's agents... this way they know you "know" what they know on the surface (since there is so many homes) yet you know in depth since you have done all necessary research, compare prices etc... so time spent are all "quality" time... nothing wasted.
(Time is money, in respect for both the agent, but should be even more so to YOU that buyer, because sometimes... that quick efficiently executed decision is what will get you that "timing" for that steal).

Takes 2 to tango.
*YOU* (primary) should be the one that *KNOW* (research ** homework **) what you are getting into.
Agent is that accessory only that aids the ease of the process.

Seriously, cannot be lazy about any money.... especially when making it or trying to make it (not talking about the agent here although it applies... but anyone who is in that position searching for that "returns").

P.S. as a past buyer... do have patience with busy agents (if they are on the phone closing on another house = very good sign). Do not take it personal that it should be your time *only*. You have to look past that as a positive... it is because they are that good that they actually are that busy. That good that they actually closes on homes even if in a buyers market without many interested or qualified buyers = they know (and with experience) what they are doing.
My time with my agent is just that... short & sweet. With many many showings of homes (however many I chose to see). She just needs to open that lock box for me & I decide & do homework for the rest.

~IMHO.

Last edited by hueyeats; 06-05-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Mental note:
Observation.
I saw how my agent worked (busy). I know I may find her reviews & ratings on the internet, but I know, she is way too busy to be here.
Seriously... even e-mails take her quite a while.
And she barely even have time to grab that bite to eat... (mostly drive through quick meals; yeah.. I peeked into her car which is quite fancy I might add).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate