Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,453 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a house on a private road (a cul de sac). There are 5 homeowners on this private road (4 houses and 1 vacant lot) and I don't know any of them.

I'm interested to hear your experiences with regards to living on a private road shared with others. When it comes to the time to fix roads, maintain street lightings etc....how do you work things out? There's no HOA. The town does provide curbside trash pickup and snow plowing even on this private road.

Is it something that I should avoid at all costs? It's a good house and at a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Couple of things.

#1 You wont be able to get a FHA loan. FHA requires private roads have a maintenance agreement, usually an HOA to maintain the road before they will fund the loan. So you will have to go with a conventional loan.

#2 Many towns are stopping the maintaining of private roads, especially as budgets tighten. According to many state laws its illegal. Cities are not supposed to spend public funds plowing/maintaining private roads except in emergency cases, such as a house fire in the winter, it was legal to send a plow down a privately owned road so the fire trucks could get in. Even if the town has maintained the road for 50 years.

#3 Many times, it usually comes down to one person doing all the work. Filling in potholes, etc. If you need plowing, and the other people refuse to pitch in, the last person at the end of the road pays for plowing.

PS. You mention streetlights. I dont see how a private road could have streetlights without an HOA. The monthly electricity bill needs to be sent to someone.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 AM

thanks 399083453!

#1 won't be an issue for us but could be an issue for subsequent buyers when we are reselling
#2 yikes!
#3 my main concern is such. the road is in a bad shape now so at some point, it'd have to be fixed. the house that we are interested in is at the end of the culdesac....so "last person at the end of the road"....well, that's gonna be us if we do buy the house *eeeks*

PS think there aren't streetlights...my bad.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM

244 posts, read 634,097 times
My friend lives on a private road and boy is it a mess. Like 40 plus houses on it and potholes every other foot, you have to drive in such crazy zig zags. No idea how they don't fix it.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Like 40 plus houses on it and potholes every other foot
Lazy, lazy, lazy people. They should get off the couch, stop watching dancing with the stars and fill the pot holes in themselves. They should throw a block party, have the women cook hot dogs and the men fill in potholes. It would only take 1 weekend to make huge improvements. Just think if each of the 40 residents filled in 1 pothole.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Lazy, lazy, lazy people. They should get off the couch, stop watching dancing with the stars and fill the pot holes in themselves. They should throw a block party, have the women cook hot dogs and the men fill in potholes. It would only take 1 weekend to make huge improvements. Just think if each of the 40 residents filled in 1 pothole.

Hey, 399 (ya knows I luv ya, but) - why don't the men cook the hot dogs? Isn't that a man's job, to work the barbie? Let the kids fill in the potholes. Great block party that way.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Feel free to pitch in or customize it. Personally, I just know my wife would much rather cook and feed the men than fill potholes with asphalt, sticky messy tar and heat it up with blow torches.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:06 PM

i don't mind filling all the potholes if i have to do them myself. is it that simple to do it? thing is...it ain't a super long road and there are only just 4 houses on it. i see mainly 2 big holes.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
LOL 399, just giving you a hard time. I much prefer to cook, but I sure hope the men can feed themselves, cuz all my kids and grandkids are growed up and I am done doing the feeding thing.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Yeah, pretty simple. Just look on youtube about filling potholes yourself or pothole repair DIY, etc. Sometimes you need to just suck it up and do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate