U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,748,625 times

Advertisements

Without digging into too many details, I am facing the prospect of being homeless. In 2 days I am going to move to New York City, I had an apartment lined up and ready to go, as it was going to be paid ahead of time, but it seems that the person renting might back out in the last minute leaving me without a place waiting when i get there.

So, since I will be arriving in NYC with nothing more than a backpack, 1 mid size luggage with most of my important stuff, $2,000 in the bank. How should I go about it?

My plan is to:
1)get a storage unit to hold my stuff
2)immediately get a job using a PO Box address
3)sign up for membership at a 24 gym to get stay clean and actually get buff with all my free time
4)Work about 2 jobs/network save for the next 2/3 months then get my own place.

Basically I'm going to be temporary homeless. It would be around 2 to 3 months but maybe even just 1 month. Anyone here been homeless?Anyone got any advice to give? Any tips?

Any help or tips at all would greatly be appreciated, but going back home to Florida is not an option.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM

19,620 posts, read 53,379,842 times
No contacts in the city? No couch-surfing possible? Maybe walk around the neighborhood you were going to live in and look for "For Rent" signs in windows.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,748,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No contacts in the city? No couch-surfing possible? Maybe walk around the neighborhood you were going to live in and look for "For Rent" signs in windows.
no
and
no

I think the problem with me trying to get a place to rent is the fact i have no job waiting. Everyone I've sent emails to displaying interest in renting a room or apt either dosen't reply or dosen't want to rent since I have no job.

I am not worried about finding a job, I've got 6 years continuous work experience and I've never had problems finding a job, I found 2 jobs at the height of the recession back in 08/09. I am fine with being a janitor if I need to. The hard part is convincing someone I'm going to pay rent on time, etc..

I mean, if you were looking for a roommate, and I replied I don't have a job but trust be I'll get rent to you on time, let's be honest, you'd send that email straight to the trash. I have enough money to cover 2 months of rent and a deposit, but still, despite that, people are hesitant to rent to me.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM

20,459 posts, read 15,369,084 times
I have no idea how things work in NYC...if they do some things the same as other cities...

Are there any month to month rentals? I've found them in Seattle and Miami. I know, those are not NYC, but it's worth a shot to look for?

One I found through someone who worked at the company I worked in and the other I found on Craig's List.

What about hostels? Do they have those in NYC?

Hotels?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM

13,733 posts, read 31,509,727 times
Since you don't have a job, why can't you just postpone until you have a rental?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,237,722 times
I think you are way overestimating how easy it is going to be to get a job.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM

43 posts, read 69,130 times
Maybe consider a UPS box instead of a PO Box, because you will get a actual "street address" rather than a PO number, at least in my area. This will look better on your credit report (if you have credit accounts), and I suppose job hunting. I was homeless once, and I called to follow up on a interview and the lady said they never considered me because of my "PO Box mailing address".. give me a break

As for going to the gym to "get buff", lets be realistic. To do that you will need to eat well, and food is money especially in an expensive city like New York. Then again, this could depend on your genetics; for me, 50% of my diet is just as important as the weightlifting.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,615,433 times
2000 won't pay the deposit on an apartment in NYC. That would be one of the worst places to be without a job.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:12 PM

504 posts, read 1,301,927 times
If you're young enough and fit the requirement (some have strict requirements and others don't - check ahead of time), you might be able to get away with using a hostel for a short while. Typical age cut off is 26, but some hostel allow older people in. Not as nice as having your own place, but hey like the other poster said "it's New York City". Not much is going to be cheap there.

Cheap New York Hostels - Search all Hostels in New York at Hostels.com

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 74,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
If you're young enough and fit the requirement (some have strict requirements and others don't - check ahead of time), you might be able to get away with using a hostel for a short while. Typical age cut off is 26, but some hostel allow older people in. Not as nice as having your own place, but hey like the other poster said "it's New York City". Not much is going to be cheap there.

Cheap New York Hostels - Search all Hostels in New York at Hostels.com
There is a hostel my co-worker (mid 50's) stays in all the time somewhere around N 130th St, across the street from the Subway. She recommends it to anyone, and there aren't any age restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate