U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 PM

43 posts, read 260,469 times
Default Suggestions on selling with cats

I'm wondering how difficult it's going to be to sell my house with my cats living here. I'm considering just renting an apartment and moving right before I put the place on the market. That way the realtor can show my house without worrying about them. Do any of you have suggestions, comments, experience about selling with pets.

I should also add that I keep the litter area very clean. The boxes are in a completely separate on a huge blanket so that litter doesn't get on the floor. I have a friend (who's brutally honest) and she's even surprised that she can't smell the litter.

I'm afraid that most buyers will be put off by seeing litter boxes in a room. It's not possible for me to take the cats while I leave and hide the boxes with every showing.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:11 AM

7,106 posts, read 13,163,583 times
At another board I go to, there were a few similar posts. I will send you the link via pm, so that you can read what others have said.

I've looked at a few houses with dogs, so far none with cats. One was a small dog that kept getting under our feet; we almost stepped on him, if you have a friendly cat, this could be the case. Worst case scenario, you'd have to worry about the pets getting out at a showing. There was a poster at the other board that had cats, he said it was very hard to show the house and ended up selling after they relocated.

Keep in mind that some people may be turned off by the animals. My hubby commented he would never buy a house that had pets, although I'm not sure, it would depend on the house / pets. When my parents sold their house, there was damage (floor rot) in the dining room due to the cat food dishes. In a house I bought 14 years ago there was a bad flea problem, my daughter (3 months old) had to live with relatives until I took care of the major infestation. It then took me no less then 2 months to get rid of the rest.

Keep in mind that pets in a house are similar to someone smoking in a house. While some people don't care, others do. We had feedback from one couple that said "too bad the house was smoked in" yet every non smoker that comes in says my house doesn't smell like cigarettes; we don't smoke in the whole house, usually in one room with an exhaust fan that gets washed down regularly. I'm pretty sure I lit a cigarette (without thinking) as I was closing the door on my way out.

If you can afford to rent during selling, it would be a smart choice. The thing is, how long can you pay a mortgage & rent? How bad is the market by you?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:34 AM

2,074 posts, read 8,082,898 times
iI think you'd have a problem finding a place to rent with 6 cats.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:03 AM

19,006 posts, read 13,328,038 times
We sold our home IN CA 6 months ago....I was into rescuing cats. Outside, on our acre lot, there were many ferals (wild cats). In my home we had 7 cats...indoor-outdoor cats. I also made sure there was no odor and my hubby is allergic to cats so I had to keep my home hair free. Not an easy task with so many cats. Not one person seemed annoyed by the cats. When I showed the house the cats went outside...if yours
are indoor cats just shut them in the room with the litter boxes while showing the house. Just tell the prospective buyers that you do own cats and this is their room. You can show the room but no need to have to disturb the cats or the home buyers. My feelings are: this is my cats home too, my home does NOT smell like cat urine, the house has been taken care of, there are NO fleas so if a person doesn't like it or won't buy it because of my pets--to bad!! Sure, if the house smells, is covered with hair, and floors and walls are scratched you would have to repair the house and probably put the cats somewhere while showing your home but if not there should be no problem. I didn't have any problems. The feral cats all but disappeared when we were showing the yard but I did still explain that I was into cat rescue and that there were infact feral cats outside. To be honest, most people were curious and happy to know that they would not have any rat or mice problems if they choose our home to buy. And if they didn't want feral cats my neighbor was more then willing to continue feeding them 2 houses away. The whole neighborhood appreciated the wild cats as it kept down the mice or rats sometimes found on these large horse properties.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 AM

412 posts, read 690,248 times
I had a friend of mine that his wife wanted a cat. They recently put their home on the market by owner and surprisingly had a buyer interested within the first week. They would put the cat in the car while meeting with the buyer, everything was going well with the negotiations. Then when the buyer was going to come back and sign the purchase agreement a few days later, the buyer spent nearly two hours at the home. The wife's allergy's started kicking in, and she asked if they had ever had a cat. My friend answered yes, in turn the buyer informed them that she was allergic to cats which killed the deal. Now, nearly 6 months later the home is now listed. They had 11 showings in the past 3 weeks, but can't figure out why there's no interest. Hhmmm.

I've also had renters who agreed in writing that there would be no pets, they moved out and I was stuck with removing carpet, sealing sub floors and replacing carpet to try to get rid of the odor of cat urine.

You may have a bit of a challenge on the selling side if your potential buyer doesn't have cats as many have a nose for them. I'm not sure if there are companies that can refresh a home before selling, but would recommend checking into the process.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,673,034 times
You may experience some difficulties in selling your home with the 6 cats still in the home. Sometimes we do not notice any odors from our pets, litter boxes, sleeping areas and such. However, others may. A vet once told me that the hair of any pet is not what causes the allergy problem, it is the dander. I would suggest that when you do have a Realtor come to your home to list it, you ask for an honest evaluation of the situation.

If it was up to me, I would suggest that you find a temporary home for your pets. If there is carpeting, have it professionally cleaned. If any furniture has been damaged, by scratching and such, have it repaired. Same with any wall or floor damage. Your pet's bedding should be removed and the area underneath checked for any damage.

Having pets is a delight to many, however, there are those that do not appreciate any pets, let alone indoor pets and are immediatley turned off by smells or any signs of pets.

I have had pets in the past but they were outdoor pets. So I do/did enjoy kitties/cats and puppies/dogs. Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to what your decision is.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 AM

7,106 posts, read 13,163,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmehappy View Post
You may have a bit of a challenge on the selling side if your potential buyer doesn't have cats as many have a nose for them. I'm not sure if there are companies that can refresh a home before selling, but would recommend checking into the process.
In one of the links I sent via pm, there's a few recommendations for the Dyson Animal vac and a brush system to keep the hair down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
...if yours are indoor cats just shut them in the room with the litter boxes while showing the house. Just tell the prospective buyers that you do own cats and this is their room. You can show the room but no need to have to disturb the cats or the home buyers. My feelings are: this is my cats home too, my home does NOT smell like cat urine, the house has been taken care of, there are NO fleas so if a person doesn't like it or won't buy it because of my pets--to bad!!
If I were not able to view all of the rooms, I would have to pass on the house. There is so much inventory that I don't have to get attached to a home where I was unable to see every room.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,752,943 times
I am a cat lover...I've rescued and owned many over the years but I'm down to two. Two is manageble, but six would be a red flag even to me. Worse...seeing FOUR very clean cat boxes would make me cringe. I really like your idea of moving to an apt while showing your house. The stress of keeping your house neat while listing it is hard enough....but taking care of litter and six kitties would raise that stress level. Be good to yourself during this transition. How you handle a pet deposit would be your business....but since you suggested a temp place to live, it must mean you can afford it. I think that's a great plan.

Plan B....a foster home for the furr babies?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM

432 posts, read 1,264,288 times
Could you move them to the garage? We had cats when we sold our last house and cleaned it well and kept them in the garage (litter box and all). We had three offers the first day, so the cats got to come back to the house quickly.

If your house is on the market longer, finding temporary homes for them is a great idea.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 PM

4,611 posts, read 7,723,267 times
We thought about this subject too. Our house isn't on the market yet but we have 2 small parrots (very messy), a small dog and a cat. Our issue is our birds have there own room. The room is actually the official office of the home but we don't use it for that, we use it as the birds room. It has a fireplace and built in bookshelves but we wanted to keep our birds downstairs (long story).
Anyways, we thought about getting an apartment when we decide to sell so our animals could just live there. It's so hard!!!!! But we love them.
When we lived on the beach, we had 2 dogs, 2 birds and a cat. Our home sold the first day to the first people who saw it (with all the animals inside the home). So I also think it could come down to the market in your area.
Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate