Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 14,794 times

Advertisements

My ex-wife stayed in the house with my two kids after a final divorce. I let her stay for the benefit of my children to have a house where stay. But the morgatge is in my name. She stop making the monthly payments damaging my credit history. Now she don't pay neither want to get out.
What can I do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM

494 posts, read 812,644 times
What does your divorce decree say? If she wasn't given the house to live in from that it seems you could get the police to remove her for you as she is tresspassing. You could also ask your divorce lawyer the best way to get her out of the house.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 hours ago)

43,048 posts, read 76,581,655 times
You should contact the attorney who represented you in the divorce and seek help there.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,318,205 times
You might have to start with the process of eviction like how a landlord starts with someone who is not paying rent, but check with your divorce lawyer first. That can take up to months before she can be kick out. Check with your county or city for the proper steps. Laws varies from state to state, county to county.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM

10,901 posts, read 21,860,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You should contact the attorney who represented you in the divorce and seek help there.
This.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM

609 posts, read 2,234,848 times
Is she paying in "kind". Just checking....

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM

8,526 posts, read 13,913,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
You might have to start with the process of eviction like how a landlord starts with someone who is not paying rent, but check with your divorce lawyer first. That can take up to months before she can be kick out. Check with your county or city for the proper steps. Laws varies from state to state, county to county.
If she was paying the mortgage, that could be considered paying rent. The check didn't come to you directly but essentially she paid you rent and you turned around and used that to pay the mortgage.

My guess is the law would consider her a tenant and you will have to go through the eviction process. The IRS may at some point also be curious if you haven't paid any income taxes on this rent as well. Real estate is local as they say and I would recommend talking to a local attorney.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,599,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis duran View Post
But the morgatge is in my name. She stop making the monthly payments damaging my credit history. Now she don't pay neither want to get out.
I know she is not on the mortgage, but is she on the deed?

Like the other poster mentioned, what does your divorce decree say happens to the house after the divorce?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,036,960 times
If your divorce lawyer is not around, contact (Your City) Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service for a low-cost initial consultation in the area in which you need advice - in this case: landlord-tenant or real estate.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,750,191 times
There is something wrong or 'pieces missing' from the picture here. My suspicion is that your wife is also listed on the title as a joint owner ... and she and the children were given the house, under the divorce agreement, with the specification that she was to pay the mortgage?? If so, to whom is that payment made and what is your liability if it is not made? Also, what is your legal financial responsibility under the divorce decree? Where are you living? Are you paying child-support? What about housing expenses (electric, phone, groceries, etc).

You may not like how things are going, but, these issues (particularly when children are involved) are almost always covered under the divorce settlement. Therefore, your question on this forum: "How do I evict my wife?" ... is a legal question that is subject to your court settlement, rather than something you can resolve here by simply getting someone's 'opinion.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate