Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,978 times

Advertisements

Would like to know how to reduce the 'Living Area' from the Appraised Value. Living area is the main unit for calculating taxable value of a home.
My second floor is not at all using. So how can i remove the media room, bedroom, closets from the Living Area calculation?
Is the City will allow to reduce the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Your questions would have a better chance of being answered in the real Estate forum
http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM

61,641 posts, read 87,001,838 times
They don't care if you use them or not. That's your choice. All those areas are finished, insulated, intended for human occupancy and heated by a conventional, permanent heating system.
They have walls, floors and ceilings of materials generally accepted for interior construction.
They are directly accessible from another finished area. That means a finished room accessed through any unfinished space cannot be counted as finished square feet.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWebster View Post
My second floor is not at all using...
media room, bedroom, closets from the Living Area
maybe you should just rent that space out...
and then be money ahead.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Simple. Just removes those rooms from your house.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Simple. Just removes those rooms from your house.
If i say i removed it, City/County will allow me to do that?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
You likely will need a demolition permit, inspections, and I would suggest you select an excellent general contractor.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
maybe you should just rent that space out...
and then be money ahead.
If i rent it, who has to give the property tax for that second floor? So again shall i have to give the income tax for rent?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Its a good question. I've pondered that question before.

As the baby boomers retire and want to downsize but the younger generations have no jobs, no money. The boomers will have no one to sell their house to and will be looking for ways to reduce the cost of staying in the oversized house.

I'm not aware of any "regulations" that pertain to how "finished square feet" are to be determined. However, there are "standards of practice" that apply.

Typically in order for something to be considered as part of the 'finished square feet", the included spaces need to have the walls covered and finished with some sort of wall covering such as paint, wallpaper, wood paneling, etc. The ceilings are the same...and those usually mean "painted". Also, the floors need to be finished, not concrete...and not painted concrete. Usually, floor coverings like wood or carpet needs to be there.

Additionally, to be counted as a bedroom, a room must have a window and a closet. If it doesn't have one, the other, or both, it's not considered a bedroom, but still could be included into the finished square feet calculations. You could have all the windows removed and boarded over.

Maybe you can just remove the heating system upstairs. Maybe you will need to remove the sheetrock to the studs then get it reappraised.

I have no idea, just guessing.

Other tips would be making your property look like hell. Then when re-assessment comes up again, you could argue the comparables to get a lower tax rate. Downside is you live in a dump. As boomers try to keep taxes down with limited income, I foresee allot of run down properties next to really nice houses to keep taxes down.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWebster View Post
If i rent it, who has to give the property tax for that second floor? So again shall i have to give the income tax for rent?
You are, and yes you will.

Why are you trying to weasel out of your property tax responsibility? We all have to pay ... If you don't want to pay such high property taxes, sell your current home and buy a smaller one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate