U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 3,146,821 times

Advertisements

I don't think he's a racist but he is comes across as really snobish. If he is so unhappy living in an urban area with people who are not as well off as his parents, perhaps he should transfer to a secluded campus in the woods.

Try paying his own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM

2,709 posts, read 3,146,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Exactly, I look down on 26 year old men in college, whose parents have enough money to buy a house for him while he is in college. Why didn't he graduate at 21 or 22? I guess he's probably a community college failure! Lol.
^^^ THIS! That is why the OP is so annoying!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,150,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
My approach to conducting myself in public is that I do not speak to anyone whom I have no business with. I've learned to tune out "excuse me" and "hey you" as I walk down the street because I don't have any business or reason to talk to any stranger. I tune out panhandlers, religious weirdos, salesmen by using this tactic because no one else would have any legitimate reason to engage a stranger.

New story: just now I am walking the dog on my street and two white kids (yes white kids, 100% Aryan quality, I don't like them either see i'm not racist) on their bikes start yelling "hey, hey," "excuse me," and just basically harassing me as I'm minding my own business. I pretend to play with my cellphone but they keep doing it. They eventually block my path with their bikes so I went around them ignoring them still. They had no valid reason to engage me in conversation so I had no duty to acknowledge them. Eventually I realize they've followed me about half a mile and I'm almost home, so I turn around and say "hasn't anyone taught you not to talk to strangers?" I really hope they tell their parents so they can feel like the losers they are for letting their kids go up and talk to anyone.

As far as hurting the girls development or whatever, I'm sorry but it's not within my responsibility to nurture her self-esteem. There's no law that says I have to be friendly to kids that come up to me. And I didn't want her to help mulching because like other people have mentioned, I'm a single male adult and I don't want anyone thinking I have some weird friendship with the kids. An old lady could allow neighborhood kids to help garden but I'm not ok with it.

I don't see kids as magical and I certainly don't "enjoy the sound of child's laughter" or whatever like some weirdos do. Parents need to realize that not everyone thinks their kids are a gift and those who do are plain selfish to impose their spawn on everyone.
I'm begging to see that you are likely part of the problem. Why do I waste my time on these forums?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM

21 posts, read 28,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I'm begging to see that you are likely part of the problem. Why do I waste my time on these forums?
How am I "part of the problem"?

I am ignoring them whenever possible pretending that they don't exist. I am trying to distance myself from them as far as possible.

Quote:
I don't think he's a racist but he is comes across as really snobish. If he is so unhappy living in an urban area with people who are not as well off as his parents, perhaps he should transfer to a secluded campus in the woods.

Try paying his own way.
You can't really transfer when you're 9 credits from graduating. Also, I don't have a problem with living around people who are not well-off. My problem is that "being less well off" around here involves behaving like complete trash and letting your children run wild around the neighborhood.

I guess daddy didn't pay for your schooling...too bad.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,150,440 times
Quote:
beginning, not begging oooops.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 AM

8,265 posts, read 7,198,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
So, you still didn't answer my question. Why don't you move? The investment that your family wanted to make is still there - they can rent it out to someone. If you are so uncomfortable where you are living, why don't you move somewhere that fits you better?
That isn't the question that needs to be answered. He has every right to live in his property without being harassed by neighborhood kids. Maybe there is a local food bank/big brother in the area he can point them to the direction of.

Are you suggesting that someone who is bred from lesser means, would be ok with it?

The answer to the OP is to tell the kids to get back home to their mothers and to leave him alone.

WHO lets their kids wander around the 'hood? Offer to help some random dude toss some mulch down?

He should ask for babysitting fees.

I don't care if one makes $1.2M a year or $12K a year. Mind your children, keep them to yourself, know where they are....get a clue.

And what kind of neighbors does he have who let their kids, unsupervised, in contact with him?

The neighbors who didn't get that being a baby mamma isn't a good thing? By the 5th round? The neighbors who are so stupid they let their kids roam?

WHO does that?

WHO?

TRASH.

That's who.

White, black or otherwise. It adds up to nothing other than trash.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM

8,265 posts, read 7,198,639 times
Quote:
beginning, not begging oooops.
Spelling police? Really?

While you don't think parents should reign their kids in off the streets...know where they are and who they are annoying? That person who they are annoying should move b/c he is a student who happens to have parents with foresight? He's not used to living in the projects so the ghetto mentality he's dealing with should be embraced?

I missed where ghetto ANYTHING is a PLUS?

If that ain't a damn stretch and a half, I don't know what is.

Yes, let's teach those who run the streets like animals that it's a good thing, and all should embrace them.

WTF?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM

7,613 posts, read 17,695,258 times
To the OP, I've been there and it's not fun and it doesn't have to be in a ghetto-like setting. I lived in a quiet TH community for 3 years, when a family with 4 daughters moved in next door. Every teenage male with out of control raging testosterone suddenly hung out next door. Daddy wouldn't let the kids in, so they sat out front, in their yard and mine. I'm an avid gardener (Hosta collector) with plants I've had for decades, cuttings from previous homes. Well, up to 2 dozen kids, mowed down my bedding fence, broke off most of my plants. Oh, and what do kids usually have on them? Skateboards, basketballs, soccerballs, dart guns, airsoft guns and anything else they can come up with.

These crowds grew, because the older kids were told to watch the younger kids, and now we had a range in age from 6 to 18. I now had to set my car alarm off to tell the kids to get off my car.......my 18 year old got disgusted too, and soon was doing the same with his car. His car received body damage, and seeing it sat in one place for 1 month, it was kind of impossible to be anything else but the kids. All of the neighbors received similar treatment, some eggs to their houses (for calling police)......damaged cars, window shot out, total, utter, disrespect. Being pleasant did nothing. Hiring one of the kids to mow my lawn (and paying him well) did squat.

Talking to the parents did no good. When I said something to one of the fathers after his son admitted to being the one to break my 24 inch planter with heirloom seedlings, "it's a free country, the kids can play where they like." Calling the police because these kids were outside my bedroom window at 1 AM worked for that night, but not for the next. The one time the police were called for a gun being spotted, they handcuffed one of the kids and the mother begged the police to take him because she couldn't do anything with him. That's when we found out they had airsoft guns.

At one point, my two sons installed exterior security cameras and I invited neighbors to view them on a website. Let's just say, while they have since been taken down, they were used as evidence in two separate (serious) situations and the neighbors (nothing to do with the cameras) have since moved. Miraculously, overnight, all the kids within a 2 mile radius have scattered.

To those calling you racist, keep on walking, there will always be those that play the race card. Just as there will be those that do not take responsibility for their children, nor do they show respect for others. Being of a particular race does does not entitle anyone to get away with this crap, ever. You should not have to be the one to move because of the actions of others, but I fear if you want your sanity, it may be the price.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,817,786 times
^^^I feel you... Thus why I love it rural, chose rural in the end...
Tons of space & acreage between properties (fewer population, fewer problems & vice versa.. more dense the population, more the problems) where even walking to your neighbour's takes some effort to do (hence you better have some business else its probably bothersome (timewise even) to try to "visit" via walking anyways).

Rented that kind of "community"... never ever will buy any "community" where my children is even forbidden to be out playing due to the hood (sorry can't have my DD mix with the mid-later teen skater crowd o' "loiterers" {where my HOA specifically posted a sign for people not to do at the common area, yet these kids still do} that could potentially add to the teen prego "scenario" plague of America) and kill any of the future.

Yes, I am one parent that do not mix well with another who will willingly let another person babysit their own kid so they don't have to do their job as a parent or let that child run "wild" unsupervised. That ol' "community" have quite a few sexual "predators" on file too... (city data the best man... tells quite a bit o' info).

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,817,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I do have to say, if this is how you handle the situation with kids, you're contributing to the problem, not solving it.
With adults it should work, but is only going to further the kids interest in you.
Your aim should be be to bore them, not pique their interest.
^^^Great tip!
Yah... bore the kids with some made up super boring story that you "keep repeating" every time you see them again (like you don't remember telling them) will probably have them kids running from you before you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate