U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM

2,629 posts, read 4,144,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Spelling police? Really?

While you don't think parents should reign their kids in off the streets...know where they are and who they are annoying? That person who they are annoying should move b/c he is a student who happens to have parents with foresight? He's not used to living in the projects so the ghetto mentality he's dealing with should be embraced?

I missed where ghetto ANYTHING is a PLUS?

If that ain't a damn stretch and a half, I don't know what is.

Yes, let's teach those who run the streets like animals that it's a good thing, and all should embrace them.

WTF?
Uhh, I believe Zyngawf was correcting him/herself, likely on a typo. So self policing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 AM

34,967 posts, read 43,112,873 times
I may have missed it, if someone already suggested this, but they play classical music outside of some businesses around here in order to deter young people from hanging around. You could try that.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 PM

21 posts, read 29,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I may have missed it, if someone already suggested this, but they play classical music outside of some businesses around here in order to deter young people from hanging around. You could try that.
What about getting a device that only plays frequencies that kids under 18 can hear? And it hurts their ears to get near it?

The Mosquito Device, Mosquito Teen Deterrent Device, Mosquito Ultrasonic Sound Anti-Loitering Device

This thing is 100% legal and I considered getting it before.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM

10,309 posts, read 16,831,436 times
So what are you waiting for?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,532,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
It's just a bad idea, I think for an adult male to talk to any kid he doesn't know and opens up the possibility for a trashy mother to accuse me of something to deflect from her own bad parenting. Strangers lure kids with puppies and I don't want to be mistaken for trying to do that just because the kids come up to me and initiate it. So, be accused of something or be a jerk, pick one. ****, if I saw an 18 wheeler about to hit a kid I'd just sit there rather than be accused.
You're being really paranoid. You can let the neighborhood kids pet your dog without worrying about being accused of being a child molester. Your dog probably loves the attention after being stuck in the house all day while you're at school. Also if you saved a child from being run over by an 18 wheeler you also wouldn't be accused of being a child molester.

It basically sounds like you're in a neighborhood that you don't really fit in to, but since you aren't willing to leave because you're mooching off your parents there you'll just have to deal with it.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM

17,766 posts, read 21,950,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I wonder if OP hadnt mentioned the kids are black, if he'd been attacked like he was. One of the worst posters can even read minds and stated he lives in his parents home for free, and that college students dont do yard work or grill. Are you for real?

I'm a older lady and know what this young man is going through, but the kids I delt with were hispanic. So go ahead and blast me too. I had moved in with my mom after my dad passed and 4 yrs later she passed. Here I was grieving and trying to pack up the house, and these kids had me unable to go out front. I have 2 dogs that were young at the time and since my moms cats were out back, I'd put the pups in a large pen in front.

I got the same doggy questions as Op, and every other one you can think of. I was NICE to them, but tried my darndest to get them to go home, home to the parents who were enjoying THEIR free time. Months of this, and 2 talked me into letting them come in. Well those "nice" kids became fast fingered little thiefs right before my very eyes! If my son hadnt shown up when he did, I would have lost several of my mom & dads possesions.

I couldnt make them give them to me, but they were scared of my son and he made them empty their pockets. It was like be double teamed. One went one way, the opposite for the other. Me, who had ran day cares and been a nanny for over 30 yrs, couldnt keep these brats from stealing. My son scolded me for letting them in, and went to talk to a neighbor that he knew had had trouble with these 2 families kids.

Guess what? Stole from him also, and he said the parents were in on it. That was also the last day my pups and I could enjoy going out front. After that, I had a group of about 12 kids kicking at my babies. All that "friendly-ness" was a act to get to stuff. So while you get on your high horses and judge the OP, just realize you're lucky to have decent kids around you, the kind I have now that I've moved. Trust me, I can tell the difference now.

And it is NEVER a good idea for a man that isnt a family friend to be around kids alone. It just isnt a smart thing to do, and either the kids can be hurt or the mans reputation forever. Last time I heard, you have the right to do what you want at your own home, and Op shouldnt be blasted for wanting to do just that. And any jabs about his or his parents wealth is just jealousy.

I did not attack him.

In fact, I went to college in a similar area to that. Loads of poor, unsupervised, board kids roaming the streets. They were also madly curious about what we did.

Very friendly too.

I was younger than he at the time and we chose to handle it in a very different way. We saw it as an opportunity.

We all came from wealthy families. No big deal.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM

32,275 posts, read 39,549,529 times

2013 Hyundai Sonata "Why" - YouTube

Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM

8,013 posts, read 22,665,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
You're being really paranoid. You can let the neighborhood kids pet your dog without worrying about being accused of being a child molester. Your dog probably loves the attention after being stuck in the house all day while you're at school. Also if you saved a child from being run over by an 18 wheeler you also wouldn't be accused of being a child molester.

It basically sounds like you're in a neighborhood that you don't really fit in to, but since you aren't willing to leave because you're mooching off your parents there you'll just have to deal with it.
I don't think he is as paranoid as he sounds. I think he is using the whole "I don't want to be accused" as an excuse because it is more socially acceptable than "I don't like kids". Not liking kids definitely has a stigma attached to it that you must be a horrible person. Trust me, I've been one who has said my entire life that I don't intend to have kids (for many reasons, but flat out not liking them is definitely among them), and I have caught a lot of flak from family, friends, coworkers, and even strangers for it. But I've gotten past the point that I care about that. I have as much right to NOT like kids as someone else has TO like kids. But I have also accepted the fact that there are always going to be people who will dislike me because of that.

OP, I guess my bottom line suggestion is that you learn to live with it. This is something you will have to deal with for your entire life. If it isn't the neighbor's kids, it will be your nieces and nephews, or your coworkers' kids, or kids of people you don't even know. It isn't acceptable behavior, but it is common behavior. If the parents aren't any help, and the kids ignore your "I'm too busy to talk right now" and "I don't need any help" comments, there really isn't a lot you can do except tolerate them.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 AM

13,524 posts, read 15,176,119 times
Hmm, I can't of see both sides. The OP clearly has some issues with being anti-social, but some kids these days. I remember being in high school and having a pack of older elementary school students try and jump us for our bikes. I mean, there's six of them and two of us, but they're in elementary school... What exactly do you do? I mean, sure we used to harass the older kids too, but there were lines. If you crossed them, you got your arm twisted behind your back until you screamed uncle and a slap upside the head. Pull that nowadays and you're liable to get jumped by a bunch of twenty- or thirty-year-old bangers. I saw that happen repeatedly growing up. Obviously different set of concerns for an adult, but not all that dissimilar. There's none chance I'd let some kid I barely knew into my house or backyard. Next thing you know they make up a story about how you touched them inappropriately. If they just want to play with my dogs when I'm walking in the park, I don't care about that. One of 'em is a shelter dog which is psychotic but likes children, so any chance to socialize her I jump at. Sometimes the neighborhood kids will stop by when I'm in the garage, especially when I was restoring an old motorcycle last summer. Honestly, it was annoying. I had to keep an eye out that they don't get in trouble while trying to balance a carb... no thanks. Fortunately, they were better behaved and took the hint and took off after a few minutes. If I'm truing a bicycle wheel, sure, that's fine... but I don't want to have to watch out for them crawling under a car while I'm changing the oil or the like.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM

36 posts, read 73,858 times
We have a family of 6 that moved in to a single wide mobile home across from us. Parents are 100% disabled (yet can do yard work, lay sod, pavers, etc). Kids are 6 & 7 year old girls, an autistic 10yr old boy, & a 14 year old boy.
The younger girls used to come over constantly when we are on our porch.
No social graces whatsoever. The girls come over in dresses & sit with there legs wide open. I had to tell them not to sit in front of boys like that. It took a couple times of me & my wife telling them, if they act in certain ways, they can't come over. Their parents must have heard cause they stopped coming over so often.
But, they never miss an opportunity to say hi.
Now, they come to the bottom of the steps & ask politely if they can visit or see the dog.
My 14yr old daughter just got rid of all her childish toys. We thought it would be nice to give them to the girls. They are very poor.
There were tears in their eyes when they saw all the collections of toys my daughter was giving them in one fell swoop. Felt like Christmas.
There are a lot of children out there that just don't have any structure in their lives.
Sometimes they just need someone to be nice to them.
OP, kids will be kids.
We all were at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate