Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Gotta admit the OP sounds like a grumpy jerk. Go live in the woods or something.

I sometimes have neighborhood kids around and they come talk when I'm outside... what do I do? Well I talk to them and I am nice to them, sorry I just don't suck at life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
I still don't get how telling the OP to go do volunteer work has anything to do with his question of how to escape unwanted intrusion/attention?

I know I wouldn't want strangers' kids to be coming around my house uninvited, regardless of whether they were ghetto or millionaires. It's a perfectly valid concern for someone who's not a particularly social/extroverted/'community' type of person - and yes, not everyone is or is obligated to be. Just as I definitely wouldn't let or want my kid to be hanging around some random guy's yard and intruding. Privacy in your own home is something everyone is entitled to. What does it have to do with class or race or whatever?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Gotta admit the OP sounds like a grumpy jerk. Go live in the woods or something.

I sometimes have neighborhood kids around and they come talk when I'm outside... what do I do? Well I talk to them and I am nice to them, sorry I just don't suck at life.
I'm always nice and polite to pretty much everyone, because I just can't bring myself to be rude even if I really don't feel like talking to them. However that doesn't mean I enjoy unwanted conversation. As an introvert, I get extremely uncomfortable with random small talk or conversations with people I don't know and/or have nothing in common with. People are different.
Jeez, it's not like the OP is beating off toddlers with a baseball bat or something...

Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Un-freaking-believable.
A young man that has no interest in kids at this time of his life and has no desire to become the neighborhood babysitter when he's outside and he gets all this crap?
Yeah, the kids are looking for some attention and you can feel sorry for them but that doesn't make them your responsibilty.
Be brief but firm and not nasty and don't feel obligated to answer every question...IOW, then pretty much ignore.
6/7 year old kids will get bored and decide you're no fun and should eventually go away.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Funny. I've accrued an enormous amount of rep points from my post.
Where is everyone?

Also gotta say "mulching" and "grilling" are...um...unusual activities for college students.
Volunteer work is not.
Give back to the community!
I repped the OP. He has every right to have privacy from bothersome children who latch onto him at every possible occasion.

He lives in a house. Why exactly should he NOT "mulch" and "grill"?

Who are you to tell him how to spend his time?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
His concern is not being accused of something, except if you want to factor in racism and self serving comments such as "I voted for Obama"...please.
I am pretty sure that the OP is not racist, he voted for Black president. Unfortunaately for many Blacks not to be considered a racist a white person has to approve of ghettos, single mothers on welfare, cars blassting music and gold teeth.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just as I definitely wouldn't let or want my kid to be hanging around some random guy's yard and intruding. Privacy in your own home is something everyone is entitled to. What does it have to do with class or race or whatever?
Nothing. Other than a fact that he lives in a black ghetto and simply based on crime stats is scared. Rightfulyy so.
Most of those kids have no families and no parents telling them what is right or wrong.
To the OP: move as soon as you can.
Kids are simply scouting for information and trying to figure out how much pushing you will take. Once this is done you'll get robbed and you can't win with the entire neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 36,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Exactly, I look down on 26 year old men in college, whose parents have enough money to buy a house for him while he is in college. Why didn't he graduate at 21 or 22? I guess he's probably a community college failure! Lol.
Actually I had a two year vacation abroad from age 20-22 courtesy of my parents as well...eat that! Hence the two year delay. I'm no community college failure either, I'm dean's list and I said before I'm heading to grad school.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 36,839 times
Quote:
And judge others.

Spare me that the people in the neighborhood think you are "well off".

YOU are not well off! You are a student. You family is well off! Not only do they own the place that you go home to on holidays, but they own investment properties!

One of which you live in. For free!

To many Americans, that's well off! And you are judging the cars these people drive??? Their cars for gosh sakes!!!

No one says anyone needs to do volunteer work, but I think it's part of a wholesome and compassionate lifestyle.( It also looks good on grad school apps.)

Every president in the US has encouraged volunteer work - from President Obama to George HW Bush to JFK. Community Service. It's a good thing.

No one is suggesting that you invite minor children inside of your home.
We did, but that was a long time ago. We were also cautious and did not enter their homes.

No, not everyone can be a Big Brother or Big Sister you do have to pass a background check - although I'm no one terribly special, no Mother Teresa; my house mates and I all performed community service, and grew from those experiences.

Believe me, I know the type of area of which you speak. You seem to like cleaning - how about a neighborhood cleanup? Pick up the wrappers, the beer cans and cigaret buts. Use gloves.

Let the kids help! Then excuse yourself to study.

You just might feel better about yourself!

It also occurs to me that a job - like one that pays money, although you don't need it, would get you out of the hood you so greatly despise.

And another thing, did you ever think that the kids come around you when you are grilling because they are hungry?
I work as well, I take home about $40k per year even while going to school full-time, don't assume you know everything just because my parents have paid for some portions of my life.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Exactly, I look down on 26 year old men in college, whose parents have enough money to buy a house for him while he is in college. Why didn't he graduate at 21 or 22? I guess he's probably a community college failure! Lol.
Yeah. Make it his fault. Why do Bklacks walkways bklame somebody else for a faillure to raise or in this case supervise their own kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate