U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,271,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Dude also doesn't have to live on his parents cash, especially at 26.
Why not? Its his parents choice not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,971,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yeah. Make it his fault. Why do Bklacks walkways bklame somebody else for a faillure to raise or in this case supervise their own kids.
After managing to translate this into English, how do you know what blacks "always" do? Do you know all blacks? Obviously not, because if so you would know how ridiculous that statement sounds. There are just as many unsupervised white children running barefoot through the trailer parks of America pestering neighbors for attention, , but somehow, that stereotype isn't applied to "all whites" is it?

Your statement alone is proof that their are "some" whites that are as ignorant as the ones they try to point their finger at.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 28,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
After managing to translate this into English, how do you know what blacks "always" do? Do you know all blacks? Obviously not, because if so you would know how ridiculous that statement sounds. There are just as many unsupervised white children running barefoot through the trailer parks of America pestering neighbors for attention, , but somehow, that stereotype isn't applied to "all whites" is it?

Your statement alone is proof that their are "some" whites that are as ignorant as the ones they try to point their finger at.
Exactly, if I lived in Appalachia instead of the NE United States, I'd likely be complaining about the unsupervised primarily white trailer park kids. This is an issue of CLASS not RACE. I don't like being around people who act like trash.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,761,084 times
I guess my final question would be... if your folks can afford the home you live in and a vacation abroad for 2 years, why in the world are you living in a neighborhood that makes you so uncomfortable? Isn't there somewhere else (another home, on campus housing, a rented apartment, etc...) that would suit your needs better? Sounds like you are making a fairly good income, and it sounds like your parents are more than willing to help... why are you living where you are?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,271,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

I feel sorry for poor black or white kids living in traditionally poor rural areas. Have no such sentiment for poor living in centers of the richest cities in the world. Have no sentiment for those who turned cities like Newark, Camden, Gary into thirld world setlements. That turned big parts of our best cities into thirld world ghettos.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,498,372 times
I wonder if OP hadnt mentioned the kids are black, if he'd been attacked like he was. One of the worst posters can even read minds and stated he lives in his parents home for free, and that college students dont do yard work or grill. Are you for real?

I'm a older lady and know what this young man is going through, but the kids I delt with were hispanic. So go ahead and blast me too. I had moved in with my mom after my dad passed and 4 yrs later she passed. Here I was grieving and trying to pack up the house, and these kids had me unable to go out front. I have 2 dogs that were young at the time and since my moms cats were out back, I'd put the pups in a large pen in front.

I got the same doggy questions as Op, and every other one you can think of. I was NICE to them, but tried my darndest to get them to go home, home to the parents who were enjoying THEIR free time. Months of this, and 2 talked me into letting them come in. Well those "nice" kids became fast fingered little thiefs right before my very eyes! If my son hadnt shown up when he did, I would have lost several of my mom & dads possesions.

I couldnt make them give them to me, but they were scared of my son and he made them empty their pockets. It was like be double teamed. One went one way, the opposite for the other. Me, who had ran day cares and been a nanny for over 30 yrs, couldnt keep these brats from stealing. My son scolded me for letting them in, and went to talk to a neighbor that he knew had had trouble with these 2 families kids.

Guess what? Stole from him also, and he said the parents were in on it. That was also the last day my pups and I could enjoy going out front. After that, I had a group of about 12 kids kicking at my babies. All that "friendly-ness" was a act to get to stuff. So while you get on your high horses and judge the OP, just realize you're lucky to have decent kids around you, the kind I have now that I've moved. Trust me, I can tell the difference now.

And it is NEVER a good idea for a man that isnt a family friend to be around kids alone. It just isnt a smart thing to do, and either the kids can be hurt or the mans reputation forever. Last time I heard, you have the right to do what you want at your own home, and Op shouldnt be blasted for wanting to do just that. And any jabs about his or his parents wealth is just jealousy.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I guess my final question would be... if your folks can afford the home you live in and a vacation abroad for 2 years, why in the world are you living in a neighborhood that makes you so uncomfortable? Isn't there somewhere else (another home, on campus housing, a rented apartment, etc...) that would suit your needs better? Sounds like you are making a fairly good income, and it sounds like your parents are more than willing to help... why are you living where you are?
Because at the time we picked out the house, my input was that I wanted to be a short commute from campus...and college campuses often are located near ghettos. I had rented for 18 months prior to that in a apt. complex that catered to college students and young professionals, it was ok but I wanted the freedom of having a house and my family was looking for an investment as well so it all worked out.

There were similarly priced houses located in the suburbs, small 2 or 3 BDRM ranch types but those were 30 min away from campus. Also, the difference between affording a 2 year vacation and a house is that the house was a one-off payment in full of $80k while the "vacation" (I actually worked and volunteered, [yes I have done volunteer work] during this time) was cost of flight plus a small monthly allowance.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,761,084 times
So, you still didn't answer my question. Why don't you move? The investment that your family wanted to make is still there - they can rent it out to someone. If you are so uncomfortable where you are living, why don't you move somewhere that fits you better?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,813,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I wonder if OP hadnt mentioned the kids are black, if he'd been attacked like he was. One of the worst posters can even read minds and stated he lives in his parents home for free, and that college students dont do yard work or grill. Are you for real?

I'm a older lady and know what this young man is going through, but the kids I delt with were hispanic. So go ahead and blast me too. I had moved in with my mom after my dad passed and 4 yrs later she passed. Here I was grieving and trying to pack up the house, and these kids had me unable to go out front. I have 2 dogs that were young at the time and since my moms cats were out back, I'd put the pups in a large pen in front.

I got the same doggy questions as Op, and every other one you can think of. I was NICE to them, but tried my darndest to get them to go home, home to the parents who were enjoying THEIR free time. Months of this, and 2 talked me into letting them come in. Well those "nice" kids became fast fingered little thiefs right before my very eyes! If my son hadnt shown up when he did, I would have lost several of my mom & dads possesions.

I couldnt make them give them to me, but they were scared of my son and he made them empty their pockets. It was like be double teamed. One went one way, the opposite for the other. Me, who had ran day cares and been a nanny for over 30 yrs, couldnt keep these brats from stealing. My son scolded me for letting them in, and went to talk to a neighbor that he knew had had trouble with these 2 families kids.

Guess what? Stole from him also, and he said the parents were in on it. That was also the last day my pups and I could enjoy going out front. After that, I had a group of about 12 kids kicking at my babies. All that "friendly-ness" was a act to get to stuff. So while you get on your high horses and judge the OP, just realize you're lucky to have decent kids around you, the kind I have now that I've moved. Trust me, I can tell the difference now.

And it is NEVER a good idea for a man that isnt a family friend to be around kids alone. It just isnt a smart thing to do, and either the kids can be hurt or the mans reputation forever. Last time I heard, you have the right to do what you want at your own home, and Op shouldnt be blasted for wanting to do just that. And any jabs about his or his parents wealth is just jealousy.
Sending hugggs & I feel you (and I was prego, can you imagine how "secure" I felt???? Good thing I didn't lose that baby from all that stress & random "knockings" by these kids even into the night & how afraid I am to open the door JIC the "gang robber dad" were to show up... good thing I had that "look-out" in my door)... and thanks for sharing the story (rep you).

"If" there is no gang dad & its these "kids" that have stolen from me...

I wonder as that generation pass on... with these 4 different kids already having multiple kids of their own... how would that crime behaviour also be passed unto their children (especially since they gotten away from committing that sin) & then their children's children... what "good" ways that should be totally "encouraged" by their parents, their community & the american public... yah!!!

(Tis a downward spiral... that vicious cycle, just like our "society" how we are "supposed to" put up with things else be dubbed "racist" or worse... become public enemy #1 like poor OP).

Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
So, you still didn't answer my question. Why don't you move? The investment that your family wanted to make is still there - they can rent it out to someone. If you are so uncomfortable where you are living, why don't you move somewhere that fits you better?
Why don't I move?

- because moving sucks, it's stressful and I would have to devote time to relocating, moving stuff, and all the trouble that comes with that. Since I'm currently going to school full-time Spring, Summer, & Fall that would be too much of a disruption.

- why should i have to leave because others can't respect my right to privacy and sovereignty over my own property? they're the ones who need to change, I don't bother a single person.

- no rent to pay right now. no expenses whatsoever besides those that I incur myself. my living situation is 100% free. My parents pay for electric, gas, water, taxes, and any repairs if necessary. All I have to do is maintain the property. As long as I am a student, my parents will cover my expenses...and I'd do the same if I had kids.

- and I plan on moving in less than 12 months anyways. I am graduating in Fall and continuing my education elsewhere. I will still stay at the house though whenever I visit I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate