U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,394 posts, read 39,676,919 times
Reputation: 40978

Advertisements

If the neighborhood is as bad as you say I wouldn't leave the house empty for you to use when you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
 
21 posts, read 29,059 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the neighborhood is as bad as you say I wouldn't leave the house empty for you to use when you visit.
one of my brothers will probably live here, it won't sit vacant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
 
400 posts, read 461,309 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
You could just move. No point in living in a neighborhood that you're too good for.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,658 posts, read 31,438,646 times
Reputation: 26766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
Why don't I move?

- because moving sucks, it's stressful and I would have to devote time to relocating, moving stuff, and all the trouble that comes with that. Since I'm currently going to school full-time Spring, Summer, & Fall that would be too much of a disruption.

- why should i have to leave because others can't respect my right to privacy and sovereignty over my own property? they're the ones who need to change, I don't bother a single person.

- no rent to pay right now. no expenses whatsoever besides those that I incur myself. my living situation is 100% free. My parents pay for electric, gas, water, taxes, and any repairs if necessary. All I have to do is maintain the property. As long as I am a student, my parents will cover my expenses...and I'd do the same if I had kids.

- and I plan on moving in less than 12 months anyways. I am graduating in Fall and continuing my education elsewhere. I will still stay at the house though whenever I visit I suppose.
Sounds like first-world problems to me.

My advice is suck it up until you graduate, then move. Simple. And it only aggravates you because you allow it to aggravate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
 
62 posts, read 161,653 times
Reputation: 20
I don't know if the OP is racist, but he's certainly not the brightest lightbulb. As far as the kids, kids of all races are like that. They don't suck at social skills like you yet, but they will one day. If you can't wait till then, you might need to talk to adults who actually understand terms like "trespassing." I can't believe you really expected a child to know what that means in the first place... If talking to the adults doesn't work, move out. It's not your place and if you're well off you should be able to get your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
 
3,402 posts, read 4,169,006 times
Reputation: 2399
I think this thread is in the wrong forum. It isn't a real estate issue, but oh well.

The only way that children know any boundaries is because they are taught and some are not taught this. My guess is that this neighborhood operates that way and no one really considers their yard private from anyone else. A cultural difference maybe. I don't really understand why some of you think that the OP doesn't deserve any consideration just because his family is of means. All people do regardless. If it were me the next time I walked my dog I would just walk slowly, be friendly, but not stop walking. At other times I would just say I can't talk to you right now I'm resting, working, whatever and keep doing what you're doing. They should never be in your house and I would keep my doors locked at all times. For you it's temporary. When you graduate, move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
 
21 posts, read 29,059 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1beebs View Post
I don't know if the OP is racist, but he's certainly not the brightest lightbulb. As far as the kids, kids of all races are like that. They don't suck at social skills like you yet, but they will one day. If you can't wait till then, you might need to talk to adults who actually understand terms like "trespassing." I can't believe you really expected a child to know what that means in the first place... If talking to the adults doesn't work, move out. It's not your place and if you're well off you should be able to get your own.
I do consider myself somewhat bright...I'm in college after all. I know plenty of stupid people find their way to higher education, but what indication do I give that I'm any less bright just because I don't want neighbor children running up on my yard and invading my privacy and talking to me every time I walk by? I don't lack social skills, I just don't freely talk to strangers because I was raised that way.

I mentioned race because there are differences between cultures and maybe someone would have said it could account for the show of "disrespect." I believe that the people in this neighborhood have the (false) idea that yards and driveways are public property.

Yeah and I posted this in parenting first to the poster who remarked on that, someone moved it to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
 
3,402 posts, read 4,169,006 times
Reputation: 2399
If you are the minority it puts you in a tough spot. I lived in a neighborhood for a couple of years that we did move from and the neighbors were one of the reasons. I came from a larger city where people keep to themselves more and this was a smaller town neighborhood with everyone in everyone elses business. To add to that our house was right in the center of a bad neighborhood feud that had been going on for years with both sides trying to get us to join one side or the other. There's even more to it, but the point is that neighborhoods are what they are and sometimes it isn't a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,020 posts, read 22,713,936 times
Reputation: 9247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
I do consider myself somewhat bright...I'm in college after all. I know plenty of stupid people find their way to higher education, but what indication do I give that I'm any less bright just because I don't want neighbor children running up on my yard and invading my privacy and talking to me every time I walk by? I don't lack social skills, I just don't freely talk to strangers because I was raised that way.
I actually find from my experience that the more educated people from higher income families are the ones who will feel as you and I do, that children should not be allowed to run loose and pester the neighbors, especially without supervision. Less educated, poorer families are the ones who tend to think it is acceptable behavior. On average. There are obviously exceptions on both sides, but as a general rule.

I certainly was never allowed to terrorize the neighbors when I was a child. And if someone told me they were busy, or didn't act like they wanted to talk to me, I understood that meant "go away, please" because my parents taught me that it did starting at a young age. They also taught me it is rude to talk to an adult without being spoken to first, or to go on their property without an invitation. Good lord, next I'm going to start spouting "In my day, children respected their elders". But that isn't true. In my day, the same as now, some children were taught respect while others were not. Those children have grown into adults now who don't teach their children any respect at all, for anyone or anything. Unfortunately, those people also seem to be the ones who have the most kids.

I didn't see anything in your posts that indicates you are not bright, or that you are lacking in social skills. I totally agree with your basic premise in this thread. Letting children run wild and invade someone else's space after being asked to leave shows a lack of parenting, and getting no help from the parents shows a lack of respect and class. I wouldn't want to live in your neighborhood either. My small neighborhood has a bunch of kids, and not once in 9 years have any of them ever spoken to me without their parents around. If I'm working in the yard, they may watch me work, but they do it politely, from a distance, and wave back if I wave at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,452 posts, read 18,752,329 times
Reputation: 21228
Some of the replies in this thread pretty much explain why those neighborhood kids act like they do.
Sounds like some of their parents are on this forum while their little darlings are out bugging the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top