Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM

21 posts, read 36,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I completely understand where the OP is coming from. It doesn't have to be about race or class - just some people are more private and value their personal space more than others. Becoming a Big Sister/Brother to less-fortunate kids is amazing and all, but it's definitely not for everyone. I don't see why the OP should be obligated to entertain the kids just so he's not judged as 'cold' and 'self-involved' - he has a right to his privacy and not having people intrude.
To the OP: I would definitely make sure you don't do or say anything that could be seen as rude, or it might get you in trouble. Always act polite and friendly - but 'cold-friendly', kwim? Always try to look rushed or busy, give brief, curt replies if they ask something, or even just respond with a nod or shake of the head without saying anything, always with a little smile to show you mean well but at the same time discouraging further interest. If they see that you're not going to be a source of entertainment for them, they'll eventually get bored and go away. I don't know much about dogs, but maybe next time you could say that he gets agitated/scared around strangers and politely ask that they don't call him over. I would think if you take the dog out of the equation, there wouldn't be much keeping the kids interested in a guy who doesn't talk much, and they'll move on...
My dog is my kid right now basically in that she's about as important to me as a child would be to their mother or father. She's a full member of my family and is treated as such. She's not going anywhere. I guess I've have to go around saying she's dangerous even if she's only 20 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Funny. I've accrued an enormous amount of rep points from my post.
Where is everyone?

Also gotta say "mulching" and "grilling" are...um...unusual activities for college students.
Volunteer work is not.
Give back to the community!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Putting neighbor back into neighborly.

What I find amusing is that the OP will likely be complaining in a few years, when he's living with people he's accustomed to, you know his social class, that no one just stops and visits because they're too busy or whatever.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Putting neighbor back into neighborly.

What I find amusing is that the OP will likely be complaining in a few years, when he's living with people he's accustomed to, you know his social class, that no one just stops and visits because they're too busy or whatever.
Exactly, I look down on 26 year old men in college, whose parents have enough money to buy a house for him while he is in college. Why didn't he graduate at 21 or 22? I guess he's probably a community college failure! Lol.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
My dog is my kid right now basically in that she's about as important to me as a child would be to their mother or father. She's a full member of my family and is treated as such. She's not going anywhere. I guess I've have to go around saying she's dangerous even if she's only 20 lbs.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you get rid of her, just that you come up with a good reason to let the kids know they shouldn't touch/call her. Say she's not feeling well or gets scared and might attack or something.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Funny. I've accrued an enormous amount of rep points from my post.
Where is everyone?

Also gotta say "mulching" and "grilling" are...um...unusual activities for college students.
Volunteer work is not.
Give back to the community!
Where does it say that everyone has to volunteer?
Especially someone who has school or other things to do...
Volunteering should be something you do because you sincerely have a passion for it and enjoy it - not because someone on the internet told you to...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Where does it say that everyone has to volunteer?
Especially someone who has school or other things to do...
Volunteering should be something you do because you sincerely have a passion for it and enjoy it - not because someone on the internet told you to...
Dude also doesn't have to live on his parents cash, especially at 26.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
And judge others.

Spare me that the people in the neighborhood think you are "well off".

YOU are not well off! You are a student. You family is well off! Not only do they own the place that you go home to on holidays, but they own investment properties!

One of which you live in. For free!

To many Americans, that's well off! And you are judging the cars these people drive??? Their cars for gosh sakes!!!

No one says anyone needs to do volunteer work, but I think it's part of a wholesome and compassionate lifestyle.( It also looks good on grad school apps.)

Every president in the US has encouraged volunteer work - from President Obama to George HW Bush to JFK. Community Service. It's a good thing.

No one is suggesting that you invite minor children inside of your home.
We did, but that was a long time ago. We were also cautious and did not enter their homes.

No, not everyone can be a Big Brother or Big Sister you do have to pass a background check - although I'm no one terribly special, no Mother Teresa; my house mates and I all performed community service, and grew from those experiences.

Believe me, I know the type of area of which you speak. You seem to like cleaning - how about a neighborhood cleanup? Pick up the wrappers, the beer cans and cigaret buts. Use gloves.

Let the kids help! Then excuse yourself to study.

You just might feel better about yourself!

It also occurs to me that a job - like one that pays money, although you don't need it, would get you out of the hood you so greatly despise.

And another thing, did you ever think that the kids come around you when you are grilling because they are hungry?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Oh get over it, it's not your money! Jealous much? Did daddy and mommy not pay your way?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And judge others.

Spare me that the people in the neighborhood think you are "well off".

YOU are not well off! You are a student. You family is well off! Not only do they own the place that you go home to on holidays, but they own investment properties!

One of which you live in. For free!

To many Americans, that's well off! And you are judging the cars these people drive??? Their cars for gosh sakes!!!

No one says anyone needs to do volunteer work, but I think it's part of a wholesome and compassionate lifestyle.( It also looks good on grad school apps.)

Every president in the US has encouraged volunteer work - from President Obama to George HW Bush to JFK. Community Service. It's a good thing.

No one is suggesting that you invite minor children inside of your home.
We did, but that was a long time ago. We were also cautious and did not enter their homes.

No, not everyone can be a Big Brother or Big Sister you do have to pass a background check - although I'm no one terribly special, no Mother Teresa; my house mates and I all performed community service, and grew from those experiences.

Believe me, I know the type of area of which you speak. You seem to like cleaning - how about a neighborhood cleanup? Pick up the wrappers, the beer cans and cigaret buts. Use gloves.

Let the kids help! Then excuse yourself to study.

You just might feel better about yourself!

It also occurs to me that a job - like one that pays money, although you don't need it, would get you out of the hood you so greatly despise.

And another thing, did you ever think that the kids come around you when you are grilling because they are hungry?
Get off your high horse already geez!

Not everybody is mother Teresa like you donating their time and having to tell other's how much of a sacrifice they have made

Get enough rep points yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate