U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Frustrated sellers seeking information on home selling strategies, agent not giving all feedback from home showings, for sale by owner

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 AM

331 posts, read 1,802,547 times

Advertisements

Well my showings picked up...and No, it isn't because my purple wall is gone

Anyway we have had 3 showings in three days. We had one on on Thursday and Friday night. The Friday night one was a two hour window. So we had to drive around with our dogs and kids for awhile. I understand this is part of selling a house..and don't get upset over it. But it is extremely frustrating to get a showing <finally after it has been so slow!!> , clean and make the house look perfect, grab the dogs and kids and go drive around for hours..to come home and hear the feedback .."beautiful home...buyers have to sell home first". I feel like my time was wasted for people who are window shopping. As for Saturday's showing..we haven't gotten the feedback yet.

My agent has called, but hasn't heard from the other agent yet. Out of curiousity, why do some agents not give feedback? I know I want to hear all the feedback , in case it's negative and there is something I can do to remedy the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM

412 posts, read 909,909 times
Jenne, wow 3 in 3 days, that's excellent. I'm not sure if you were saying the buyer was in your home for 2 hours, or just a window of when the agent would arrive? I guess if it was just a window your agent should have called you when the were 15 minutes away from arrival. If it was infact a 2 hour showing there must have been some interest.

As for the agent not giving feedback, we'll give em the benifit of the doubt that it was a weekend. But some agents just aren't good at feedback which is both frustrating to the seller and us agents as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM

261 posts, read 950,170 times
I feel your pain, jenne03. Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Agent calls to block off two hours, I clean up, buy fresh flowers, get the dogs in the car and drive around for two hours only to get the following feedback.
"Oh the buyers absolutely loved the home. I even got some decorating tips for my own home. However, they are just starting to look and this area is a little further away from the area they really want to be in." Whaaat! Then why the heck were you looking in my area if you really want to be in another area. Maybe all the homes in "the area they really want to be in" will really suck compared to mine and they will come back and put in an offer. That's how I'm choosing to look at it rather than get upset. I even had one guy come see my home (two story colonial w/basement) say to his agent, I really want a rancher so that when my parents visit, they won't have to climb the stairs. Again, why are you looking at my house. This is what sellers are tired of...time wasters!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,041,852 times
jenne- we know you are venting and understand. You have to understand (and I know you do) that this whole process is hell....no other way to get around it. Expect the worst to make a bad situation not seem as bad.

Keep on your realtor and if you're not getting the feedback you deserve, call the buyers agent yourself..its what I did

Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM

No Zme, I wish it was that they were in the house for two hours. It was a 2 hour window of when they would be coming..that doesn't bother me, if they were going to buy a house. It is just frustrating because they have no intent to buy yet since their house is still on the market.

We haven't gone looking at houses as buyers yet, because we don't want to get someone's hopes up with a showing when we have no intention of buying yet.

Yea I am sure it could be the weekend. I was just curious as to why some agents aren't good at the feedback. I would think it would be highly important to learn why someone didn't choose your home(for both the seller and agent). So I am baffled at agents who don't return the phone calls to give feedback.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 AM

8,654 posts, read 16,484,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
No Zme, I wish it was that they were in the house for two hours. It was a 2 hour window of when they would be coming..that doesn't bother me, if they were going to buy a house. It is just frustrating because they have no intent to buy yet since their house is still on the market.

We haven't gone looking at houses as buyers yet, because we don't want to get someone's hopes up with a showing when we have no intention of buying yet.

Yea I am sure it could be the weekend. I was just curious as to why some agents aren't good at the feedback. I would think it would be highly important to learn why someone didn't choose your home(for both the seller and agent). So I am baffled at agents who don't return the phone calls to give feedback.
Well one reason might be that the buyers didn't have any feedback on your home. If the realtor was showing them 12 - 15 homes that weekend (or more), they may not be able to give their agent specific feedback on each and every home. Would you be able to if you just looked at that many homes this weekend? (Give an itemized feedback list?). I don't think I could.

Sometimes a home just doesn't feel "right", but you have no idea why. In fact, my wife and I have gone to our local "Parade of Homes" (for homebuilders), and only liked 1 or 2 of the 20 homes we'd tour. We have no idea why we didn't like the others, but sometimes it's just not quantifiable.

I know it might be frustrating, but hope that helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Yea Magellan, I didn't think of that. Sometimes I get frustrated and lose my mind and don't think of those things

Jack, I never thought of calling the agent myself and thanks for letting me vent. I get quite frustrated with people looking at houses when they can't buy.

Well I heard feedback from one of the showings after pushing my agent. I guess she forgot to forward me the email..These potential buyers are from out of town and haven't quite figured out if my town is where they want to be. They liked the house though. That's at least positive. I went to a bunch of areas when I moved here also and came back to my town.So hopefully.

My contract expires this week though..I gotta figure out what to do.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM

612 posts, read 2,471,935 times
I feel for you. But, you never know if one of those people will tell someone else and you may have found the perfect buyer right there. It's all about the numbers, the more that come see your house the better your chances. When I was selling my house at the end of last year, my previous boss came to see it, I knew she wasn't in any position to afford it, but she told her sister who was, and we had a contract within a week of that.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM

940 posts, read 1,247,150 times
Jenne03, I do feel for you, I go thru the same my kids are older, but they can be very hard to get going same with the dog. This weekend I had showings also and I got a 3 and 4 hour window, so what I do now is tell the agent to please call when they are entering my community so I can get my dog out(he is old and does not take too good to Florida heat.), so far this has worked out well and nobody has every complained. This should work even better for those with small children.
Just to add--- I have two stories, my feedback was from one couple--------they don't want two stories---------well DUH!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,659,851 times
I just have a couple of comments:

First, selling a home is very frustrating, no doubt about it. I feel your pain. Think back to when you were buying. Especially if you were coming in from another area. You wanted to check out several neighborhoods/areas. what will my money buy me here, what will my money buy me there. Even though you may have had an area you *thought* might be perfect, you still didn't want to "rule anything out". Buyers today are like that to the 10th power!!

Second, as for "they decided they really wanted a ranch". I'm pretty good about qualifying my clients and asking questions about what is important to them. Then I willl send a lot of listings via email to get response to them, good and bad. then I will ask for them to give me their top 10 picks. then we go out to see them. In the middle of showing these top 10, I hear: You know we really like ranches and all we are looking at is 2 stories. Uh, Yeah!! that is what you picked to look at!! ::surprise:: I truly don't like to waste your time, my time or the buyers time, but sometimes it takes getting out there for the "real" answer to come to them. Really!!!

I know it is frustrating. I also have taken couples to homes that they were only so / so on, they walk in and LOVE IT. It is the home for them, so you never know. I would just grin and bear it, I know it is hard, but the sooner you get an offer, the sooner you can go back to a normal life.

Good luck.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate