U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM

65,905 posts, read 67,194,540 times

Advertisements

when all the soft costs of ownership are added up through the years you may very well have had a better deal renting.

we had no mortgage on the 2nd home we went to contract on last week.

adding up the extra costs like the snow plowing, the gardner ,the preventative bug guy, restaining the deck every few years from the harsh winter all add up to big dollars.

this season we opened the house up and had a huge expensive hornets nest to remove. had to cut 2 dead trees, a huge tree limp came down knocking the electric service off the wall.

its always one expense after another but as time goes on we seem to forget how much dough ownership really costs us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,172,970 times
It is both. If you aren't taking value into consideration when purchasing then I don't think you are buying wisely. Even if you are buying thinking you will stay there forever and never sell, you don't have a crystal ball to tell you that is what will happen. You may have to sell for whatever reason, therefore you should always look at the purchase of real estate as an investment.

Buying real estate to make a profit is a good good thing. Making a profit honestly is always a good thing. If it is done in the real estate world it is super fun and helps clean up neighborhoods and provides jobs and is just plain yummy. People that don't like profit are bad!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM

65,905 posts, read 67,194,540 times
investment or rentall properties i agree , the home you live in we may have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM

6,268 posts, read 9,596,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
So my question is, why do the majority of people look at houses as an investment rather than a family home? Do you think it's risky business to think like that?
I think it's definitely risky business to consider your home as an investment. I have heard so many horror stories of families buying homes as "investments" listening to their real-estate agents and renovating the house to "seller" standards instead of their own wants and needs and then not being able to sell the house anyway when push came to shove. When I purchase my first house, I'm renovating and upgrading it to my standards. I'm only listening to myself because I know what is best for me and what works for me. I also know that I'm the one who is going to be living and dealing with the house at the end of the day so the changes I make are going to be made to suit me and my family. Not the next one. That's why I'm not even planning on moving when I buy this house. My first house is going to be the family house and it's going to be a permanent buy.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

32,445 posts, read 39,749,010 times
What's funny to me about the investment piece is that a lot of real estate agents in this area drank that bathwater and bought way overpriced properties. Many are now stuck with very highly leveraged properties that they can't sell for what they paid nor rent for anything even close to covering their nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate