U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 03:08 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,138,299 times

Advertisements

Tax records are often wrong because they are recorded by government employees that are impossible to fire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Had it been unpermitted? Did the county want back taxes? Or did you just leave it as it was?
Silverfall called it. Was a new home in a semi-custom development.

When I was selling it, I just wanted it listed on the MLS as to the sq ft it was no matter what the county had it listed at.

Not sure what happened on taxes. County never asked me for any additional. I sold it and moved on.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,909,639 times
Quote:
A house built about ten years ago is listed as being about 50% larger than what the county records show (3000 sq ft instead of 2000). The explanation is that the original floorplan was 2000 but they didn't follow the plan when building. (I was expecting a different explanation - like a typo, or that they had accidentally included the garage. I have not seen the house in person, only online.)

I realize not all counties do things the same way, but in most counties wouldn't this be discovered during some inspection? Or wouldn't it be important for tax purposes?

Also, for the agents: if you discovered that a house you were listing was this far off of what county records show, is it something you would be responsible for reporting?
Counties do typically depend on accurate square footage, but remedies depend on where you live. Since you didn't tell us what state you live in, it's hard to comment further. (see sticky post in this forum).

Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Counties do typically depend on accurate square footage, but remedies depend on where you live. Since you didn't tell us what state you live in, it's hard to comment further. (see sticky post in this forum).
Since I'm not buying it or selling it, and I'm not an agent, it's more of a general question. The two houses I've mentioned are in two different states, and I'm interested in how it's done in any state.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 AM

181 posts, read 347,726 times
Quote:
Since I'm not buying it or selling it, and I'm not an agent, it's more of a general question. The two houses I've mentioned are in two different states, and I'm interested in how it's done in any state.
To answer your question and for anyone else looking at homes, if the exact size is important to you do NOT rely upon what anyone tells you or upon any one source to be accurate.

Instead I would suggest that you measure it.

Why? Many of the county records in my area are wrong. Also many times the MLS listings are wrong or the listing agent does NOT list an exact size. Not 2 weeks ago I was at a meeting at the MLS and we were discussing making the approx SF a required field in the MLS. We have a field for approx SF and a field for SF range. The SF range field is required, the approx SF field is not.

I voted no because it creates too much liability for the listing agent. I usually do not put an exact size unless the home was measured by an appraiser and I have a copy of the appraisal on file. I like to shift the liability to someone else instead of my clients or myself.

Last edited by Mark Brian; 06-11-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM

6,958 posts, read 18,532,188 times
I'm in CA where prop 13 says the home is assessed for whatever you pay for it. When the assessor came out to look at our house he noted that there were two additions on the property since it was built (without permits I might add). He just measured the additions and added it to the square footage.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,805,737 times
Interesting read.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM

25,817 posts, read 49,712,454 times
I know one entire 200+ home subdivision in Alameda County built in 1960 where the square footage is off by 25%

The problem is due to the county going paperless.

The original home calcs done by the Assessor list square footage totals for the home, garage, porches, patios and rumpus room...

The rumpus room is only valued at 50% of the home square footage which is counted at 100%

When the files went digital... there was no provision for rumpus room and the space was not listed... I bought one of those homes and it is 2300 living space on the hard copy and almost 1800 on the online format.

I highly recommend anyone owning taxable property visit the assessor's office in the county where the property is located and purchase a copy of the 3 or 4 pages of data... if for nothing else, to have on hand should a question arise.

Several times I have had to answer for discrepancies... and EVERY time the original hard copy field report from the Assessor was correct and the digital version was wrong.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,019,001 times
in our area (RTP in NC), we were told by our RE agent that insurance companies are not paying out for unpermitted areas of a home. re: insurance -- you might think you are insuring 3000 sq feet, but if something happens, they will only pay for 2000 sq feet.

This is affecting buyers/sellers making sure that all sq feet are permitted areas and have a CO.

so around here, sq footage discrepancies are being scrutinized more than they were before. with unpermitted space, you risk buyers walking away from houses with unpermitted room additions b/c of the steps required to get it permitted after the fact can get expensive (bringing room up to code, opening walls to get inspections done, etc).

I am told if you buy on the NC coastal area, unpermitted areas (eg: 1st floor space being turned into livable space) have to be ripped out and not occupied. So you might think you are buying a 1400 foot bungalow only to have 600 sq feet have to be ripped out now that they are no longer turning a blind eye to this.

No idea if these are issues in other areas of NC other than the coast and RTP area.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Not just coastal NC. That's everywhere and is driven by the federal flood insurance program. Basically they got tired of paying out claims over and over for the same properties for the same damage.

When Isabel went through here and wiped out a bunch of houses the people were given the choice of rebuilding the way it was and no longer being eligible for coverage, rebuilding and losing their 1st floor and keeping the coverage or accepting a $30K-$60 grant to raise the entire house. All but one person took the 3rd option. The one that didn't dithered and dawdled so long that he missed the window for the grant. He had no flood insurance to begin with because his wife had decided that $600/year was outrageous (house was assessed at $500K), He ended up spending his own money to raise the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or