U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,284,194 times

Advertisements

If you want the house make an offer for what you are willing to pay. How "they" split the money is of no interest to you. I would put a rather strong house inspection clause in as the seller is willing to accept such a low price, there could be issues.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

8,844 posts, read 17,437,561 times
Lots of great comments on this thread. Sometimes the best way to sell a house quick is to clean it up. What kind of condition issues and expense are we talking here?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
so if a client asked you to cancel a contract and you hadn't done anything yet, what would be your response?
It would be a mute point because my contract already spells out the split between agents and that if a buyer is unagented that portion isn't due. I would just represent the seller and take it contract to close.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Lots of great comments on this thread. Sometimes the best way to sell a house quick is to clean it up. What kind of condition issues and expense are we talking here?
Or to discount it steeply for the investor crowd.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,004 times
Hi all,

Thank you all for your help. you have definitely answered all my questions. I would like to clarify a couple of points, just to make things clearer.

I have not met the realtor, and have nothing against her. I met the buyer and he said that he didn't like her, that she is not understanding that he just wants rid of the house, and is still wanting to put it on the market at 120, when he KNOWS that it won't sell for that (a house across the road which is slightly bigger, and in perfect shape just sold for 106). I would not be interested in taking away money from someone who has done their job, and anyway, there is nothing I can do to take away her money, that is all down to how bob wants to handle things. As far as I know, and this is only what bob has told me, she hasn't actually done anything with the house yet, just looked around once and told him to get it in order before she can list it. I just wanted to understand the situation because I don't know how this stuff works here. I know that he just wants enough money to pay the mortgage off, so cutting out the realtor means he can accept a lower offer. If we had found the house through the realtor, or she had done the work advertising and showing us around, then I would never think to cut out her commission, she would have done a job and would deserve to get paid.

Thank you all again for your help and advise

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,437,561 times
From what I've heard seller Bob can either
1-list it low to move it
2-fix it and sell for more.

Bob has opted to sell it low but his would be agent isn't getting that. Bob can at this point, assuming he hasn't signed anything
1-work directly with you to sell low
2-find another more understanding agent to represent him
3-reinforce to the current agent what he wants to do

You can
1-Be aggressive and tell Bob his options if you now have a better understanding of real estate than he does
2-Be passive and wait for Bob to figure something out

That all sound about right? Of course if Bob already has a listing agreement signed all of what I just posted is moot.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,171,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It would be a mute point because my contract already spells out the split between agents and that if a buyer is unagented that portion isn't due. I would just represent the seller and take it contract to close.
no, it would not be moot if you conceded to cancelling the contract. obviously it's all about the money, despite having done nothing yet.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
no, it would not be moot if you conceded to cancelling the contract. obviously it's all about the money, despite having done nothing yet.
And yes, I would hold the seller to the listing agreement. I'd take it contract to close and they would pay me $2400. I'd also tell them that going with the buyer is a mistake without throwing it up on the MLS at $85k. We might get multiple offers netting them more. Just because the OP wants it at a lower price doesn't mean it is in the best interest of the seller.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,171,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
And yes, I would hold the seller to the listing agreement. I'd take it contract to close and they would pay me $2400. I'd also tell them that going with the buyer is a mistake without throwing it up on the MLS at $85k. We might get multiple offers netting them more. Just because the OP wants it at a lower price doesn't mean it is in the best interest of the seller.
the OP stated the seller didn't care about netting more money. what's in the best interests of the seller is what the seller wants.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
the OP stated the seller didn't care about netting more money. what's in the best interests of the seller is what the seller wants.
The OP said the seller cared about clearing their mortgage. That is what is in the best interest of the seller. Selling it quickly and clearing the mortgage. That should be the listing agent's plan. $80k is about what it takes to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or