Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenovax View Post
Hi new to the forum

Has anyone ever bought a home without stepping into the property?

I'm from Canada and looking to invest in a Florida condo. I had plan to take a vacation down there to view some condos and possibly making a purchase (in a couple months time) but I'm liking what I see from property searches online. Any foreign buyers? What are your experiances? What is the best approach?

Thanks
i've done it twice. will never do it again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,416 times
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll make a visit before purchasing since I'm also a first time buyer. I want to look for deals and reading some horror stories I might buy myself a possible nightmare attached to it (knock on wood). Gonna keep reading the forums. also yes there are so many properties being on hold or contract whatnot.. I'll just have to wait.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I have a property that features an owner who has some cinematography credits in Hollywood. The virtual tour he produced is almost flawless in it's ability to convey what you actually see when you are at the property. If anyone wants to see it, give me a DM. It's being auctioned this Friday.

Should be interesting.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenovax View Post
I think I'll make a visit before purchasing since I'm also a first time buyer.
Choosing the right development is more important than the unit.
Both the financial solvency and management stability aspect...
but also that the community and amenities actually suit YOU.

And have a good local real estate attorney too.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
I once put a "reserve" down payment on a lot in a new home development with out seeing the lot nor the home models. It was $1,000.00 and I had an unconditional 45 day cancellation. The builders sales agent said they had never had done a site unseen, all done via FAX and phone deal with a 45 day cancellation but they were willing to work with me on it. We arrived on the 43rd day, met the sales agent, took a quick look. Told them we liked what we saw. Went back on the 44th day and spent more time with the agent and deciding. On the 45th day we signed a contract.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
I would never ever do that! We just looked at a ton of houses mainly online because we are 8 hours from where we bought a house. Some houses looked spectaular online but once we got to see them in person the neighborhood was very undesirable and the house had been staged for photos.
Plus you can tell if there are any smells in pictures. We looked at one house that had been staged in the photos that hid all the stains on the carpets and walls plus as soon as we walked in it smelled of cat pee.

So my 'official' advice. do not ever buy a house without walking through it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate