U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 5,449 times

Advertisements

Hi new to the forum

Has anyone ever bought a home without stepping into the property?

I'm from Canada and looking to invest in a Florida condo. I had plan to take a vacation down there to view some condos and possibly making a purchase (in a couple months time) but I'm liking what I see from property searches online. Any foreign buyers? What are your experiances? What is the best approach?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,681,510 times
I hace done it a couple of times and so has my brother....of course then we've had an option period to inspect the property and really decide if going thru with the deal. I wouldn't complete a sale without seeing the property firsthand.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 AM

26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenovax View Post
Has anyone ever bought a home without stepping into the property?
NEVER!
Quote:
I'm from Canada and looking to invest in a Florida condo.
Any foreign buyers? What are your experiances?
Before my folks passed they had a nice condo in a well run development.
Some Canadians bought it for a song back in '08.
Quote:
What is the best approach?
Separate the several aspects and address each on it's own merits:
a) you simply must come down to visit developments in person.
There is no substitute for this.

Once you have the list of names that appeal you review the floor plans available
in those development for which of these appeal to you.
Make note of any geographical factors like due east/west windows, obstructions, etc.
1000 will quickly be reduced to perhaps 100; 100 to 20.

b) be sure to have the financials of the condo ass'n understood.
Even the best of them have issues.

With these objective measures you can narrow down the choices available to the relatively few of those 100 or even 20 that will appeal but are in well run and solvent associations. With that caveat you can go back to checking listings for what's available in these remaining 10 or 15 developments online.

But you'll still want to come down in person before pulling the trigger.

hth

Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM

793 posts, read 2,150,915 times
Wouldn't recommend it the first time.

Very seldom does a buyer buy sight unseen except in multiple purchases over time. Even then they build a relationship with an agent that understands the buyers criteria and visual needs. Also video and pictures help a lot.

Hope this helps,

Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM

7,077 posts, read 16,885,085 times
I've sold several properties sight unseen. It's all about your comfort levels and how well you think your agent knows what you would like and what's important to you. I've never had a buyer not like what they ended up buying.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,972,766 times
When I have a buyer in your situation, I go videotape everything at the property because it gives a much better idea of the layout of the house, the neighborhood, etc. Ask your agent to do this for you. That said, I still recommend you going down for a visit before buying.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,663,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I've sold several properties sight unseen. It's all about your comfort levels and how well you think your agent knows what you would like and what's important to you. I've never had a buyer not like what they ended up buying.
Perhaps not a general rule to go by regardless of realtor and area?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM

13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
It isn't a good idea until you have a well established trusting relationship with an agent. I have heard many other stories of people completely dissatisfied with their purchases.

As a general rule, home buyers should see the property before buying. Even if it doesn't happen until the inspection phase.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,261,001 times
I just sold a HUD home that neither of us went in until yesterday when he received the keys. Ultimately if the area suits your needs and the price is low enough, you can justify doing it. I doubt I ever would though.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,885,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Of course it's not a "general rule", but it happens. I submitted an offer today where the husband saw it but the wife hasn't. He walked her through the entire floorplan on the phone, and she's ok. Same situation 2 weeks ago, but this time, the buyer used his iphone feature to where she could see him walking through the home. She comes into town this weekend just for a peak, but we're set to close in 2 weeks.

In both these situations, at least one party saw the house, and even that's not a "general rule", just a necessary situation when you're dealing with multiple offers on the good properties, and you have to move fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate