U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM

18,232 posts, read 3,705,491 times

Advertisements

While I did read all HOA documents before purchase (had my atty read them too), I very much regret buying here now.

The place and the pool I enjoy but the arguing, insults, ridiculous complaints and 2 very-busy-bodies have affected me so that I no longer socialize or even speak with anyone here. Not ever.

I just MYOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
What are the pros and cons of HOAs? Are they really a necessary evil? I know why I can't opt out of one if I want a home in a specific area.. but how is that constitutional, I mean, don't I own the land and the property??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 PM

115 posts, read 280,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Devion

They can be changed. It will generally take 75% or more to agree to the changes as it should because they were there when people bought in and it should take a large majority to prevent the minority from changing them.

They can also be changed to stop things that were allowed before but usually those that properly did so before, are grandfathered in.

Also undertand that generally CC&R's and/or Bylaws cannot override/usurp laws but they can "toughen" them. Like local zoning might say no fences over 8 feet tall but an HOA can limit them to less then 8ft like saying no fence over 6ft tall.

Tough love here but you seem to profess knowledge/opinions about HOA's when you have never lived in/under one. Am I correct?

No, but I've spoken with quite a few people and did a lot of research. Your profile shows that you aren't looking in my target city of Eagle, ID where I plan on buying a $500k-$600k house yet cannot build ANY fence around my backyard. The area is, however, perfect when it comes to schools, activities, and crime rate. That's why I've asked what are the rules and how strict are they really. All I keep hearing is horror stories. I'm still wondering how can an HOA limit the amount of time a person can stay at your house or tell you which cable provider you can't use. However, everyone forms opinions about things before they experience it because it is human nature. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't have an opinion?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Quote:
No, but I've spoken with quite a few people and did a lot of research. Your profile shows that you aren't looking in my target city of Eagle, ID where I plan on buying a $500k-$600k house yet cannot build ANY fence around my backyard. The area is, however, perfect when it comes to schools, activities, and crime rate. That's why I've asked what are the rules and how strict are they really. All I keep hearing is horror stories. I'm still wondering how can an HOA limit the amount of time a person can stay at your house or tell you which cable provider you can't use. However, everyone forms opinions about things before they experience it because it is human nature. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't have an opinion?

I am suggesting you stop listening to moaners and groaners and read the docs applicable to the development(s) you are interested in. The docs can vary quite widely from association to association. Some of them could even make me moan and groan.

I also suggest the worse thing you can do is to buy into one then do things you think you should be allowed to do like build a fence where fences are prohibited and/or tightly controlled.

You will find that an HOA consisting of stand alone homes will generally have less evasive rules then those where units adjoin.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,754,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wouldn't equate an HOA with a "sense of community". That is really up to the people no matter where they live.
An HOA definitely don't provide a sense of community. My neighbors hardly say hi and if you say hi to them they look at you like you're crazy. I think it's a typical suburb thing. People are never outside in the burbs unless they are walking to and from their cars. Whether you have an HOA or not doesn't make a difference. If you want a sense of community move to a city neighborhood or a small town. Stay out of the burbs.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 4,133,336 times
We're likely moving into a non-HOA neighborhood, but one that has relatively restrictive covenents in the deed. I think that's the best of both worlds, in that people can't expressly do stupid things to their property, but the rules are already laid out and cannot be altered.

I just don't know who actually enforces these covenents.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,448,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
An HOA definitely don't provide a sense of community. My neighbors hardly say hi and if you say hi to them they look at you like you're crazy. I think it's a typical suburb thing. People are never outside in the burbs unless they are walking to and from their cars. Whether you have an HOA or not doesn't make a difference. If you want a sense of community move to a city neighborhood or a small town. Stay out of the burbs.
It has nothing to do with living in the suburbs. Again it is the people. Generalizing like you are doing doesn't do anyone any good.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,189,194 times
Quote:
But I've read that HOAs have the power to install new rules. If I put a pink flamingo on my lawn. The HOA can vote that they no longer approve of Pink Flmaingos. If I throw my child a bday party. The HOA can then vote that no parties can be thrown at your private residence. My grandmother's HOA just passed a rule yesterday that the homeowners have to tell them and get approval to let someone stay in their home for more than a week. That's when it starts infringing on your personal life.
Actually, in most cases the HOA Board can't change the rules without the majority of the homeowners voting YES to the proposed change. In my neighborhood it takes 75% of the homeowners to approve a change. Perhaps some HOA Boards have the kind of power you describe above, but most don't.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM

42,164 posts, read 31,932,807 times
Quote:
Fences are my main problem.. I don't want anyone or anything wondering into or out of my yard. I don't get the problem with fences. It's like "I demand to know everything you're doing, how dare you put up that fence!!!". What about people with pets?? They can't just let their dog out into the yard because there is nothing to fence them in and keep them from straying away. I don't think it's that people don't like "Playing by the rules". It's that they've found their perfect dream home and thought "I can deal with an HOA, I love this house". But then the HOA starts restricting them and cutting into their personal space. IDK, I've never had one, but I've been reading a ton of horror stories online. I expect you to be biased since you are on an HOA board. But I do respect your opinion from the other side.
The fence restriction was a part of the original declaration designed by the builder 48 years ago. Lot sizes range from 1/3-1 acre. It would take a super majoirity of owners ( 275) to agree to eliminate this restriction. There has been no interest in doing so.

We probably have more dogs than homes in this community. Most folk have the invisible fence thing to contain their dogs. Interestingly although fences are prohibited, shrubs are not. Most properties achieve privacy with shrubs. Go figure.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM

42,164 posts, read 31,932,807 times
Quote:
My grandmother's HOA just passed a rule yesterday that the homeowners have to tell them and get approval to let someone stay in their home for more than a week. That's when it starts infringing on your personal life.
Not uncommon in age restricted communities.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
We're likely moving into a non-HOA neighborhood, but one that has relatively restrictive covenents in the deed. I think that's the best of both worlds, in that people can't expressly do stupid things to their property, but the rules are already laid out and cannot be altered.

I just don't know who actually enforces these covenents.
You need to review those covenants closer (maybe even use an attorney) as there will probably be an enforcement method. It might well be the town, the developer, a Board of Directors elected by the homeowners, etc. but there more then likely is an enforcement agency.

This is how many end up having issues. They do not understand from the get go.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate