U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM

609 posts, read 1,824,784 times

Advertisements

my vote is no HOA. I don't need the HOA helicoptering on my life. Its my way of adding less stress and simplifying my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,943,481 times
If people are looking for a single family (detached) house, they have a choice of finding one without an HOA or of investigating the particular HOA if they like a house which is part of one. But if people are looking for a condo or a townhouse, then there is no way these could exist without an HOA because there are common areas, common landscaping, common driveways, etc. In addition, try to imagine a building where owners have common walls; am I to paint my exterior wall one color and my neighbor another clashing color even though the walls are part of the same building? That would be an absurdity. Therefore, it makes sense to have an association of homeowners which will coordinate and regulate exterior maintenance and repairs, including repainting.

Condos and townhouses often provide more value per dollar in terms of equivalent living space than detached houses for the simple and common-sense reason that they offer a much more efficient use of a given amount of land, not to mention construction costs. So especially if people like the idea of someone else taking care of the gardening, pool maintenance, and exterior maintenance for them in exchange for a monthly fee, condos and townhouses can make a lot of sense. Those who can't stand the idea of any rules whatsoever about what they can do should never buy into an HOA in the first place. And even those who accept the concept should read the rules before making an offer to be sure of compatibility.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,805,737 times
Eating popcorn as my drug here & drinking lemonade while writing this....

Thinking to myself... yah.
I should just look on & say nothing especially if HOA is going to AID in the economics of this country and mayhap ease housing woes a bit.

So long I am not the one paying for the HOA fees...
If it is not breaking "my" piggy bank... and breaking others... they can raise the fees all they want, make up even more rules as they go along as they want to achieve "the secret to fines" for bleeding the HO for more money into the funds... hey, I am all for it!!!

P.S. Great for me... shall have the last word laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,447,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
PROS

1. Amenities. You could not normally afford like pools, tennis, etc.
2. Architectural Control. One cannot build/add anything without permission. No rusty storage sheds.
3. Landscape Control. One must adhere to set standards. No crappy looking lawns.
4. Vehicle Storage. Control of amount and type of vehicles. No dead junkers.
5. Overall Control. Ability to keep neighborhood looking good. Keep it from from becoming trashy looking.

CONS

1. Amenities. The more there are, the higher the dues will and the more issues will arise because of them.
2. Architectural Control. If you want your place to look different/unique, you will not be able to do so.
3. Landscape Control. If you do not like and adhere to community standards, you will taken to task.
4. Vehicle Storage. If you like cars and stuff around, you might have issues.
5. Overall Control. If you do like to conform to a standard set by others, you will not be happy.

If considering an HOA then get a copy of the CC&Rs, Bylaws, and Rules and Regulations. Read them carefully. Seek guidance/advice on things you do not understand. If you say these are not for me then fine. Make it easy on all. Look elsewhere.
Seems like a good summary. It is nice to know that no one can build a purple geodesic dome near me, that they have to mow their grass, maintain landscape, paint, reroof, etc. once in a while, and they can't have their 16 kids park their beater cars up and down the street. Our HOA costs us $850/year (for clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, baseball field, several common areas and a lake big enough for boats), I know people pay less and others much more. Our HOA is a little slow to enforce the rules & regs at times, but there are no total eyesore homes in our neighborhood. The leaders we've had tend to be little Napoleon's, but the rules also protect homeowners from wayward leadership. If you don't read up on an HOA and check their rates before you move into a neighborhood, you've no one to blame but yourself...

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,103,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Probably YOU do. You just hire an attorney and file suit. No problem.
You are correct. I spoke to our RE Lawyer. Basically, the main developer, who lives in the neighborhood would likely be the guy suing, mainly because apparently he cares and is rich. Also, individuals could bring suit, but it's costly.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM

1,327 posts, read 579,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I live in an area with $1.2M houses. You'd think that people living in an expensive area would all take care of their lawns and not use the street as a parking lot, but alas, some don't. The guy down the street, who moved in 2 years ago, let his lawn die -- but at the same time he bought a $50,000 BMW. So you can afford a freaking $50k car but you can't afford $500 to resod a lawn???

When I buy a new place, I'll consider buying inside an HOA. I learned that even living in an affluent area doesn't guarantee everyone will take care of their property. There's always one or two idiots who think they can do whatever they want without regard to the neighborhood.
It's his property to take care of or not take care of. and it's his to spend on a BMW or his lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate