U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

I'm purchasing a home using a VA Loan and the seller currently has tenants occupying the property. VA Loan occupancy rules requires veterans/ service members to take possession of the property within 60 days after closing.
If the seller does not force them out before closing, will I be found at fault if I initiate and deliver a 30 day Notice to Vacate the property the day I become the new owner?
I'm a little unsure if Federal Law trumps all tenant rights at the state level, even if they have a standing year lease this will ultimately be broken because of the occupancy rules on the loan.
If anyone has any insight into this situation it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,964,715 times
I doubt VA Loan requirements trump tenant's rights. It's apples and oranges. No one is forcing you to buy a property that for some reason prevents you from complying; it's your choice.

Secondly, was the property listed and contract drawn up "Subject to lease"? If so, there is strike 2.

However all that doom and gloom said, what's to prevent one from offering to buy the tenants out? Consult your attorney and realtor who is representing you, and the listing agent, and see if these tenants couldn't be enticed to move by your deadline. Then proceed accordingly. Be sure any agreement is well-documented, signed by all, and totally legal.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,042 times
The tenants have a lease to October. I am currently verifying if the seller was a registered landlord with the county and has the property listed as a rental property. Another thing that comes to mind is that it is only registered as a single family property and there is a second family renting an detached above garage apartment. The property is taxed as a single family dwelling. Can this be used as another reason for evicting both tenants?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 AM

5,920 posts, read 10,444,053 times
Youre looking at it the wrong way - it isn't your job to evict the tenants, its the sellers job. If they listed it subject to a tenants lease, move on, as VA isn't for income properties. There isn't an "angle" for you to approach it from, the seller entered into a contract with the tenants, and any buyer will be bound by that agreement. Even after a foreclosure, the tenants still have rights.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM

487 posts, read 1,178,496 times
Move along.
Buy a home not occupied by tenants.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM

13,741 posts, read 31,562,927 times
Make your contract subject to the tenants vacating the home. You are over thinking this.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM

8,175 posts, read 14,256,731 times
An owner has the right to terminate a lease if the owner will be occupying the formerly leased premises.

I concur with Silverfall; your realtor should have advised you about making the contract subject to a vacant home.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

6,958 posts, read 18,535,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
An owner has the right to terminate a lease if the owner will be occupying the formerly leased premises.
Not in all jurisdictions. Tenants rights of possession may trump what a new owner's right of possession may be.

Last edited by DMenscha; 06-15-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 11,557,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
An owner has the right to terminate a lease if the owner will be occupying the formerly leased premises....
Agree with DMenscha, not in AZ. The only exception I know of is in the case of a foreclosed home purchase and the buyer will occupy. Even then, the buyer would have to give at least 90 days notice.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 PM

8,175 posts, read 14,256,731 times
I stand corrected.

And I still agree with others to make this the seller's problem in the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or