U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can your realtor mention that the home has an energy efficient heating system (don't say heat pump) in the listing? You can leave out copies of your winter utility bills as proof that the home is energy efficient. As I said previously when you have an ordinary house you need to do all you can to distinguish it from the competition. Low utility bills would be one way to do that.

Heat pumps don't have the stigma in Delaware and points south that they do elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Heat pumps don't have the stigma in Delaware and points south that they do elsewhere.
I was just thinking that the OP needs a way to make his house stand out. Lower utility bills are a way to make an otherwise ordinary house stand out. There is nothing wrong with the OPs house. He/she just needs a way to make it stand above the crowd. I thought that might be something for the realtor to note in the listing.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
I was just thinking that the OP needs a way to make his house stand out. Lower utility bills are a way to make an otherwise ordinary house stand out. There is nothing wrong with the OPs house. He/she just needs a way to make it stand above the crowd. I thought that might be something for the realtor to note in the listing.

Oh yes, "Energy Efficient (18SEER) __________________ Heating System.

New construction here, and there, is assumed to have a heat pump. If not, that's what will be noted.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

4,086 posts, read 5,500,568 times
Well, being that I'm only 10 mins. from the DE border, I didn't think the weather was that much warmer in DE, but I do note that the OP's location is 75 mi. south of me and not far from the ocean, so perhaps more moderate. I was just comparing it with the new construction near her that was in the comparable price range -- they have gas heat. I did see that a couple other new-construction listings have a mix of gas and electric heat pump.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM

239 posts, read 522,633 times
I would think lowering to $199 would be good no? You will probably open up to a lot more potential buyers and searches and you don't lose too much money off your current asking.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 AM

455 posts, read 836,046 times
Lightbulb Dining room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield622 View Post
. . .
We have a great room and I believe you are talking about the area behind the couch. There is not much I can do about the layout of our home.
That's supposed to be the dining room, correct? Since your house is small to begin with, I think you should stage that space as a dining room instead of what it currently is--wasted space in a Buyer's eyes. Remove the narrow console table, remove the loveseat, and re-position the sofa, and don't forget to lower the light fixture!

Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 AM

47 posts, read 102,128 times
Quote:
I don't really think that most of us were harsh. Just a few people who posted things that were unhelpful. It can be difficult to hear that there are things about your home that might not be unappealing but if you are going to sell you really need to hear it.

I think that there is one thing that can help you without anyone having to see your listing. That is to look at CLOSED SALES in the past 6 months in your area when setting your price. The biggest mistake people make is to look at what is on the market but those properties might be overprice. Whatever sold is where you get your real prices. If you are not a short sale you can price yourself 10% higher than short sales but not more than that.
And that could very well be the problem with why I'm not getting offers. I am competing with short sales and new builds. A month ago a home sold in a short sale with the same floor plan as my home; however, my house is priced about 15% higher! Overall, the comps say that the price is right, but common sense says otherwise ;p. I am painting a neutral color in my kids' playroom and bedroom tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I will gladly reduce the price by 8-10k. I just want this to be over, so that I can go on with my life. Thanks for your input and I'll pm you the MLS #.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 AM

47 posts, read 102,128 times
I'm not the original poster of this thread, but I wanted to update everyone on my weekend. I painted the 2 rooms that I mentioned above. Took me 2 full days and boy was I sore after. Anyhow, we got a low ball cash offer on Friday that I pretty much laughed at and countered with my asking price (minus closing costs). Yesterday we had a few showings and by nightfall we had a serious offer! I really hope this family is able to close the deal---they were really nice and they loved my house! It felt good to see someone get excited over my space...you know when they more than like it.;p I do have more showings today, but I really want to accept their offer and if we don't get anymore by Monday, I am going to do just that! I want this to be over so I can move on with my life! BTW---their offer isn't cash, but they are putting 20% down, plus they submitted an earnest deposit with their offer. I'll be back to let you all know how things are progressing...

The irony of this situation is that this particular family was sad that they didn't get to see the murals on the playroom walls, LOL. After all that work and sweat I put out trying to erase my personal touches to the rooms. That just goes to show sometimes you don't have to do too much. Just be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM

4,086 posts, read 5,500,568 times
Awwww, TiJa! (the mural story) Well, you did the right thing, though -- look how activity has picked up! Are they pre-qualified for a mortgage? Sounds like they're serious! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 12,625 times
I would give it more then 2-3 weeks. Rather 2-3 months before you decide that your over range. But still might be good idea to change price within couple thousand dollars just to trigger your home to pop up as a new listing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or