U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
I would agree that your 1200 sq ft house would not be as appealing as those around you with much more square footage and a lower price. I am just talking as a buyer who would want more bang for my buck. I have my own home on the market and people are making offers 20k and more below my asking price. Most of the prospective buyers are saying my price is great but it is only great if they make an offer that I can accept. If you cannot afford to sell it below 197K, then you will probably have to wait until the market is in a better place, so you can sell it and make a profit. Just my two cents. It is a pretty home but I have to agree that many of the pics are the same with a slight change in angle. The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms need a different shot to show the closets. I am assuming that those two rooms are very small and maybe you cannot get a different angle. The backyard pics are good.
That house is less than 1,300 square feet so it would be difficult to show the rooms in their best light without a serious wide-angle lens.

It's a small house that looks small in the pictures; no unique or imaginative use of space, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM

198 posts, read 368,986 times
I figured the rooms were small based on the square footage but was hoping to see other angles of the bedrooms. I also am wondering why they are selling in this market when they cannot accept anything lower than 197K. There is not much negotiating room as it is and I would think that if anyone was interested at all, they would have lowballed on her original price. Now there is only 5K to play with and I just do not see it happening.
As people have told me "your home is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM

19,645 posts, read 53,568,232 times
-Repaint your daughter's room in a neutral color. What if the buyers don't have girls or want a guest room or office space?
-Your sofas/chairs are too big for that small space, rent some smaller ones and put yours in storage.
-Delete the photo of the backyard where the camera faces the house, it makes the deck as well as the house look very small.
- There are too many photos of the family room, nothing new in most of them.
- Some of the photos are from strange angles, some even look like a wide-angle shot with a curve, delete them.

IF you are looking for out-of-state buyers, they will have sticker shock.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM

39 posts, read 49,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you look at the property at 574 N Erin Ave it is nearly twice the size of your property and listing for the same price. The house that sold at 38 Dorothy Lane is more comparable as far as size goes and it sold for $165K. I am not a real estate professional but that stood out to me. You need to revisit the price.
574 N Erin Ave is also a short sale.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
He/she/they are just being honest, and far more polite than potential buyers probably are when looking at your home's listing. They don't know you and don't care about hurting your feelings.

I'll be blunt: your house is boring. The decor is unimaginative, the furniture placement makes the rooms appear small (all your furniture is kissing the walls), the color scheme is meh, and the kitchens and bathrooms look like they have cheap, low-end fixtures and fittings. Also, in the pictures your flooring looks like vinyl and laminate, and probably cheap builder-grade carpet too. Your backyard has nothing going on except for a fairly small deck...no landscaping of any kind.

Basically it appears to me that you're asking a champagne price for a beer product.

You're probably going to have to lower your price, modify your property to appeal to buyers, or both. Good luck.
The decor is neutral for the prospective home buyer.

Low end fixtures? We went to Lowes and picked them out before construction was finished on the home. Def not the builder grade gold fixtures. And i've had nothing but good feedback on that from people who have bought in big communities and years later have the cheap fixtures.

Won't argue with you on the landscaping. But, to me that is a blank canvas for the next person.

I asked about price and comps around...not on nit picking of my home. Have a GRAND day!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
I figured the rooms were small based on the square footage but was hoping to see other angles of the bedrooms. I also am wondering why they are selling in this market when they cannot accept anything lower than 197K. There is not much negotiating room as it is and I would think that if anyone was interested at all, they would have lowballed on her original price. Now there is only 5K to play with and I just do not see it happening.
As people have told me "your home is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".
LOL - Why don't you ask me....without asking someone else why "they" are looking to sell in a bad market.

I don't forsee the market improving and we want a bigger home. There ya go! What is up with this unhelpful tactic from some of you????

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM

15 posts, read 22,779 times
THIS is the owner bias that I'm seeing over and over again as a buyer. (and soon to be seller). People rightly love their house because it's their home.

The disconnect is, a seller has to sell the house and not a home.

There is a price that you must have. It depends upon your current mortgage, your need for a down payment on a future purchase and your debts/income. If your house isn't worth that amount, then you have to stay in your house until that number goes down.

Price is always the bottom line factor.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,738,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield622 View Post
574 N Erin Ave is also a short sale.

Well what about 38 Dorothy lane. That is an actual sale of a home that looks very similar to yours. It sold in Feb for $168. Is there something very different about your house that would warrant a price $40K higher than that one?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,738,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield622 View Post
The decor is neutral for the prospective home buyer.

Low end fixtures? We went to Lowes and picked them out before construction was finished on the home. Def not the builder grade gold fixtures. And i've had nothing but good feedback on that from people who have bought in big communities and years later have the cheap fixtures.

Won't argue with you on the landscaping. But, to me that is a blank canvas for the next person.

I asked about price and comps around...not on nit picking of my home. Have a GRAND day!
I have purchased five homes. I have sold four of them. I do not have the expertise of a professional real estate person but I do have some life experience so here is my take on your house:

Firstly-nobody cares what you paid for your house. It's worth what it's worth regardless of what you paid for it.

Secondly-you say there are upgrades to your home but what are the upgrades? Your house looks basic to me. Not terrible, just nothing fancy. What is there that is considered an upgrade from basic? Whatever that is make sure you include it in the pictures. BTW-Lowes fixtures are cheap fixtures. NOT much of an upgrade.

Since you have an ordinary home in an ordinary neighborhood you need to do something to make your home stand out. Make your house look a little fancier with things like nice bed linens, etc. Buy a tablecloth and leave your table set for a nice dinner when you have a showing. Put a picture of the set table on MLS. Help buyers imagine themselves living in your house.

TAKE BETTER PICTURES. Your MLS pictures are not good.

You only need one picture of the family room. The fireplace could be nice but right now it's plain and the tv is more noticeable than the fireplace. I would feature the fireplace more (put the tv on the wall where the love seat is now and rearrange the furniture). Put a pretty mantle above the fireplace.

Your kitchen is cluttered. Take all the stuff of the counters except the coffeemaker and toaster. Get fancy kitchen towels. Take the magnets off the fridge.

Keep your yard nice. Plant flowers in the front of your house. Have some hanging baskets on your front porch. You have a lot of weeds in your yard. Get rid of them and replace the pictures of weeds that you currently are featuring. I would consider taking a picture of the furniture and grill on the deck. Again, get buyers thinking about actually living in your house.

If you look at homes that have been on the market a long time you can figure out which homes are not well priced. If you compare your house objectively you can figure out where you need to be priced.

100 Ludlow Lane has been on the market a long time. It's really similar to yours and they are asking $209.9. Obviously, it is not worth that much money. Yours probably isn't either. I can't say for certain because I am not an expert in your local market but I can make an educated guess.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM

6,958 posts, read 18,554,291 times
I like your house. I like the pictures, the paint, etc.

I have no idea what your market is like, but it certainly shows well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or