U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM

39 posts, read 49,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiJa View Post
Would you consider renting your house out? That way you could still move and possibly generate a little extra cash each month. We thought about renting, but our house is full of upgrades (granite, stainless steel, staggered cherry wood cabinets, etc.) and we don't want renters messing it up. ;P I feel for you because our situations are very similar in that we are also trying to cope with the possibility of walking away without making a dime on our house (maybe even owing a few thousand thanks to closing costs and realtor fees). I was going to post my MLS for feedback, but after the harsh critique you have taken I'm a little scared.

Renting would be the final straw. How does that work with two mortgages? If we go to get one on the new house would they figure in this mortgage and/or would it have to be rented out for x amount of time? We just listed a little over a week ago. So, average list time around here appears to be 140 days. So, we will sit and see.

I posted for research purposes of our area and did not think it would turn into the nit picking it became. I am so appreciative of the comments I can take away and do something about. But, other things appear to be opinions that are structured as facts.

I can remove myself from the emotional aspect of the sell of our home. I feel it does have good qualities as other have said it is boring. No, we don't have cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances. But, I feel like our home would be great for a retiree or a young family as we found it appealing as a young family.

I hope you can sell as well and this market straightens itself out ...for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 PM

4,131 posts, read 5,560,929 times
Quote:
I will agree that the grass should have been freshly cut (was moved 3 days before picture).

Our home compared to other ranches our size is VERY energy efficient. So, it's a shame that you'd never consider a home with a heat pump. Also, Delaware has mild winters.

We have a great room and I believe you are talking about the area behind the couch. There is not much I can do about the layout of our home.
Well, you asked for feedback on whether the price was too high. When people provide a link to their listing, we assume they're ready to hear honest critiques. The feedback for the most part was that it's priced too high, based on the information you provided and the fact you've had no showings. I've found that pricing the house realistically from the start, rather than pricing it too high and then doing multiple price reductions, is key to getting it sold quickly. No, you can't change the layout, but again, it's part of the critique on why people may not be interested. If you price it correctly, it will sell.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM

47 posts, read 102,563 times
I also think your house shows well. It's a very cute starter home and it looks very warm and inviting. I am fed up with people who tend to be so picky about everything. My house was only 5 years old when I bought it, but it was jacked up! I saw past the mess. It was nothing a coat of paint and some good old soap & water couldn't fix! Now it looks great and anyone who gets it for the fair price I am asking will be lucky! If it weren't for the military reassigning us, I'd be content to stay right here forever!

BTW some friends of mine own a home in another state that they are currently renting out. They will close in a couple of weeks on a brand new home. Basically, they'll have 2 separate mortgages, but the rent will pay for the first one, so they'll only be paying out of pocket for one property.

Keep us posted on what happens with your house and I'll let you know what happens with mine as well. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I also think your house shows well. It's a very cute starter home and it looks very warm and inviting. I am fed up with people who tend to be so picky about everything. My house was only 5 years old when I bought it, but it was jacked up! I saw past the mess. It was nothing a coat of paint and some good old soap & water couldn't fix! Now it looks great and anyone who gets it for the fair price I am asking will be lucky! If it weren't for the military reassigning us, I'd be content to stay right here forever!

BTW some friends of mine own a home in another state that they are currently renting out. They will close in a couple of weeks on a brand new home. Basically, they'll have 2 separate mortgages, but the rent will pay for the first one, so they'll only be paying out of pocket for one property.

Keep us posted on what happens with your house and I'll let you know what happens with mine as well. Good luck!

When we saw the home being framed...just from judging from the outside it looked way too tiny. When we walked in the cathedral ceilings really added that extra "square footage" for us. It felt bigger than it actually looked. I think if we could get people inside..they would see what I mean!

Our son was 1.5 year old and I was 40 weeks preggo with our daughter. So, we knew it would be a good "starter" home for us. And I am sure someone else (eventually) will see that as well. We were both young ourselves (22 yrs old) we didn't think about the school district we were moving into. While not the worst - not the best either. We are ready to be aggressive and are okay with selling for no profit. It will all work out and I am sure a life lesson of patience will be learned along the way!

Yes, please keep me updated! You can also email me at w a k e f i e l d 6 2 2 @live.com (of course with no spaces!)

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Thank you to who suggested to take down the dark curtains in the master bedroom. I removed 2 of the 4 panels to expose the double windows and it looks fantastic...and I am embarrassed to say I didn't think of this myself!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM

737 posts, read 2,174,592 times
It is a cute starter home. The picture quality on a few of the shots were a bit grainy. A photo or two of the outside at night and/or dusk with all the lights on could be a good addition.

If you are finding the home too small and you're not terribly unhappy, is it possible to create an addition? You certainly have enough backyard space.

I agree with most of the posters, it will all come down to price, unfortunately. Can you throw in the 2 flat screen TVs or some other incentives? Have you done a broker's open and/or open house? I think I saw a cat; if that is the case, be sure hide the kitty litter and take your pet with you during open houses and showings, if possible.

Good thread overall. I think you got a lot of really helpful ideas. Please update.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM

11,621 posts, read 19,833,681 times
Quote:
Would you consider renting your house out? That way you could still move and possibly generate a little extra cash each month. We thought about renting, but our house is full of upgrades (granite, stainless steel, staggered cherry wood cabinets, etc.) and we don't want renters messing it up. ;P I feel for you because our situations are very similar in that we are also trying to cope with the possibility of walking away without making a dime on our house (maybe even owing a few thousand thanks to closing costs and realtor fees). I was going to post my MLS for feedback, but after the harsh critique you have taken I'm a little scared.
I don't really think that most of us were harsh. Just a few people who posted things that were unhelpful. It can be difficult to hear that there are things about your home that might not be unappealing but if you are going to sell you really need to hear it.

I think that there is one thing that can help you without anyone having to see your listing. That is to look at CLOSED SALES in the past 6 months in your area when setting your price. The biggest mistake people make is to look at what is on the market but those properties might be overprice. Whatever sold is where you get your real prices. If you are not a short sale you can price yourself 10% higher than short sales but not more than that.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM

4,195 posts, read 5,833,246 times
I would much rather be selling a starter home than a high end home. However, with starter homes a lot of buyers don't have that much money left over to "fix" things or "update". This is the very reason why it is so common to ask for cash back at closing.

As far as landscaping, the amount of clover in a yard is pretty easy fix. You need to hire a company to treat it a few times and before you know it the clover will be gone. Our yard costs about 75 a treatment.

It may be a little premature but if people aren't coming to see the house I would think you overpriced it. I would think that new house carries a significant price premium. From what I have read it is anywhere from 15-45%.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM

11,621 posts, read 19,833,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield622 View Post
Our home compared to other ranches our size is VERY energy efficient. So, it's a shame that you'd never consider a home with a heat pump. Also, Delaware has mild winters.
Can your realtor mention that the home has an energy efficient heating system (don't say heat pump) in the listing? You can leave out copies of your winter utility bills as proof that the home is energy efficient. As I said previously when you have an ordinary house you need to do all you can to distinguish it from the competition. Low utility bills would be one way to do that.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 5,560,929 times
Quote:
Thank you to who suggested to take down the dark curtains in the master bedroom. I removed 2 of the 4 panels to expose the double windows and it looks fantastic...and I am embarrassed to say I didn't think of this myself!
It was me! I think it's always better to make the house look as bright as possible. (Now to get your agent to re-take some of those photos....).

Honestly, I wish you luck. School district is a huge deal around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or