U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM

8,248 posts, read 10,010,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstat View Post
We did counter offer. Lowballoffer was from an international investor that did not even see the house. Their agent did see it though. When our agent asked for justification they could not respond with any reason. It seems that they just did not have enough money to go higher.
In that case, 3-months is not all that long for a $450K+ range listing. One thing you might try is 'bumping' your price up/down within a narrow $2-3K window, on a weekly/bi-weekly basis for a while. That will keep 'bouncing' your listing back to the surface (new listings, price changes, etc) and may help generate some new activity. (Not sure what taking the property off-the-market will accomplish?).

Have you personally checked the tax appraiser's records for your area? It will tell you what the other properties in the area have sold for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM

80 posts, read 128,228 times
The appraiser actually was looking to buy a house for himself. He still needs to sell his current house though.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM

26,875 posts, read 57,944,657 times
Quote:
Here what was important to me, but might not work for someone else:
* It is a very small community of only five houses. No HOA. No pool, tennis. Although we have a very large 0.7 acre yard that can accommodate a pool easily, and there are parks with tennis cours nearby. Still several families quoted that they want more of the neighborhood. It is suited for more independent families which is actually the case with all of the homes in our community.

Negative that I was able to overlook because of other factors that worked for me.
* The negative that can not be changed the backyard backs up to a road. We improved it with building a brick wall, and planting trees. You can not see a road.
mpstat: Do you have some other or previous username?
This story sounds like something that has been gone over at least once before.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In that case, 3-months is not all that long for a $450K+ range listing. One thing you might try is 'bumping' your price up/down within a narrow $2-3K window, on a weekly/bi-weekly basis for a while. That will keep 'bouncing' your listing back to the surface (new listings, price changes, etc) and may help generate some new activity. (Not sure what taking the property off-the-market will accomplish?).

Have you personally checked the tax appraiser's records for your area? It will tell you what the other properties in the area have sold for.
Our agent looked at a ton of comps.

For bumping up/down suggestion.... Is it ok bumping it up too? Say $448,000 to $450,000 and back? Sounds like a good suggestion.

As for taking it off the market the concern is that it would be sitting there "aging" when there is low probability to sell due to the selling season being over (mid-summer?)

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
mpstat: Do you have some other or previous username?
This story sounds like something that has been gone over at least once before.
No I do not have any other user names.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
.... If it hasn't sold by mid-summer, either go as low as you can or wait until next year.
Something about the listing is getting people's attention, even at the current price. Did your agent write an accurate description, or are people showing up and getting disappointed?....
So mid-summer.... When to remove the listing to wait until the next year? Does it make sense to wait at all?

As for description it seems to be accurate, but I might be missing something. The description states small neighborhood, and road nearby..... nevertheless we still get feedback on those. Also we did have second showing, and as far as I know a couple of potential buyers have our home on a short list... no serious offers though.

Last edited by mpstat; 06-18-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:

So mid-summer.... When to remove the listing to wait until the next year?
Does it make sense to wait at all?
Nothing makes sense without knowing WHY you aren't getting offers.
Not conjecture and assumption... but rather the actual and specific reasons.

When you know those reasons then you can do whats needed to remedy that.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-18-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM

121 posts, read 295,142 times
Quote:
Everybody states that the house shows beautifully. So it is not a problem. Plus it was completely renovated this year. marble vanities, granite, frameless shower, etc.
So, you say you know the house is priced right, and you know the house shows beautifully. But something doesn't add up, because a house that is priced right and shows beautifully will sell. Either it's priced too high, or there's some issue that people are seeing when the view it and deciding not to make an offer...

Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
So, you say you know the house is priced right, and you know the house shows beautifully. But something doesn't add up, because a house that is priced right and shows beautifully will sell. Either it's priced too high, or there's some issue that people are seeing when the view it and deciding not to make an offer...
I am stating what I know based on info from several agents, and an appraiser. Also I know that there is a smaller pool of buyers.

When I started a thread I was looking for answers to the following questions:
My concern that if we do not get an offer by end of July our sale chances greatly diminish. Is this concern warranted? Is there a sale season for suburbs?
Should I keep reducing the price every 2-3 weeks? How much?
Should I remove it from the market say in the end of July or August? When & for how long? When should I put it back on the market (February-March)?
Is it advisable in general removing house from the market? Or should I keep it there no matter what no matter for how long

Summarized below are the suggestions to my questions so far:
On a weekly-bi-weekly basis bounce the price back and forth $2-3K
In mid-summer lower the price as much as possible
If not sold after mid-summer price reduction - remove the listings until the next year.
Still need to know - When to remove? End of August?
3-months is not all that long for a $450K+ range listing

Thanks all for your input.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:

3-months is not all that long for a $450K+ range listing

Thanks all for your input.
You have a LOT of competition:Roswell Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or