U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,977,797 times

Advertisements

Oh! I guess it isn't as uncommon of a situation as I thought, then. Thanks for your insights, everyone. Hopefully I will be able to keep my curiousity under control, now that I know that some possible reasons for this do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,026,282 times
There's a simple way to solve this mystery: call the real estate office listing the property and ask if it's still available.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

383 posts, read 514,967 times
Cute story about our purchase of this home. We were in the closing process and we drove by the home it still had a for sale sign up. No pending/or sold, nothing. I called our agent, she said in their office they hate to jinks the buyers by adding any signs to the original sign that was placed on the property. The sign was gone the day we closed on the house.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 PM

9,780 posts, read 7,647,539 times
There was a house in my subdivision for sale buy an independent agent. It was on the MLS. The listing expired in a year. The agent left his lock box. Must have cost more to come out from town to get it.

The absentee investor owner listed with another company. They put their lock box on top of the first one. They sold the house. It has been occupied for 3 years. It has the original lock box still on the front door. Drives me nuts every time I see it.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There was a house in my subdivision for sale buy an independent agent. It was on the MLS. The listing expired in a year. The agent left his lock box. Must have cost more to come out from town to get it.

The absentee investor owner listed with another company. They put their lock box on top of the first one. They sold the house. It has been occupied for 3 years. It has the original lock box still on the front door. Drives me nuts every time I see it.
Oh my goodness, that would drive me crazy too. My elderly mother had a lockbox on her FL condo for emergency personnel to use in case she couldn't open the door. That was after an episode where she fell, was on the phone with paramedics but couldn't get herself up to open the door, and they were about to break it down when her neighbor finally came home with a key. I ordered this lockbox and she created a five-digit passcode for it. I'm sure she told me the passcode, but I don't remember it. She died a few months ago and I couldn't find the passcode written down ANYWHERE, but I hated that lockbox on the door as it looked like the place was for-sale. Finally, a helpful workman with a drill took the whole lock assembly off the door so we could get that darn lockbox off.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 39,585 times
This is happening with the house my husband and I are currently purchasing. The listing dropped from all the sites once we were under contract, instead of just being updated to "Sale Pending". The sign on the property, however, has remained up without any changes, making it look like they were still looking for offers if you drove by. It wasn't until our mortgage was finalized that the sign finally got its SOLD! cap. If it's still there once we close, I may just ask our realtor or theirs (they're both from the same company) if I can keep it.

So... sounds like your neighbor's house may just still be waiting to get things finalized! But I agree with the person who said you can always call the realtor as a "curious party" to find out for sure.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
I buy a lot of houses, and the lack of consistency among listing agents in updating MLS status and removing signage is just apalling. In my case it really can be upsetting because I buy REO/vacant properties and continuing to advertise them or keeping up signs invites trespassers. It is also unfair to bargain hunting hopeful folks who get excited and follow up in a property inder contract, and to neighbors who are trying to sell their houses. How it happens that my properties under contract and closing withina few days often have signs that are yanked and put in the backyard......I'll never tell.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
In many areas once the house goes "Pending" it is dropped from being shown to the public on sites like realtor.com. Yet the house has not closed and the sign will stay in the yard till closing. A RE agent can still pull up the listing in the system, just not the public.

The sign should be removed at or near closing.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM

5,703 posts, read 15,485,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I worked with a girl whose RE agent NEVER came to get the sign on the house she bought, after many calls she finally put it out with the trash and never heard another word about it.
^^^^I had this happen to me. TWICE! Baffles me because realtors usually pay for those signs. The one house we sold the realtor never put a sold banner on it. After we closed the realtor never came and got the sign either. The new owners had it propped up against their house for a months. I think they finally tossed it. My in-laws were convinced we never sold the house and we were secretly renting it. This went on for a few years until they realized, hmmm...it must have sold because we never talked about the house or went over there.

We bought a house and the realtor never picked up the sign. I called multiple times, nothing. I tossed it.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 39,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In my case it really can be upsetting because I buy REO/vacant properties and continuing to advertise them or keeping up signs invites trespassers.
Yes!! The current owners of our future house finally had to put up traffic cones across the driveway because people kept going up to see the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate