Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,860 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I bought a new house from Pulte which is supposed to be close by the end of this month. 12 days prior to the closing, Pulte inform me that they cannot close the house on time because of some repair work in the community.

I red through the contract and find out there is nothing stating what Pulte should be responsible if they could not close on time.

So far I see my loss will be the loan application as well as my rental, what are you guys idea on it? Will Pulte be responsible for my financial loss, should I hire a real estate lawyer?

Thanks

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Trust me this won't be the first fight you have with Pulte. My mother-in-law had Pulte build her home and I feel like every year I hear about some new problem that has popped up with the construction quality

Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks evaofnc for your quick response, what should I do per your suggestion?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM

I know that when she had serious problems during the construction phase she went into their office guns blazing until they were able to reach a negotiation. Before hiring a lawyer I would try speaking with them directly and let them know that the situation needs to be resolved or you will become a serious pain in their side. You may find like in her case they just concede rather than face lawyers and the like.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM

43,262 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George1980 View Post
Hi All,

I bought a new house from Pulte which is supposed to be close by the end of this month. 12 days prior to the closing, Pulte inform me that they cannot close the house on time because of some repair work in the community.

I red through the contract and find out there is nothing stating what Pulte should be responsible if they could not close on time.

So far I see my loss will be the loan application as well as my rental, what are you guys idea on it? Will Pulte be responsible for my financial loss, should I hire a real estate lawyer?

Thanks

George
You can hire an attorney to read the contract and see if there is something you missed.
The contract defines the transaction terms.

Some tract builder contracts give the builder 24 months to deliver the home. Pulte may be on time, even though they do not deliver by the end of the month.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george
I read through the contract and find out there is nothing stating what Pulte should be responsible if they could not close on time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I know that when she had serious problems during the construction phase she went into their office guns blazing until they were able to reach a negotiation. Before hiring a lawyer I would try speaking with them directly...
The lesson is that you should already have had a lawyer representing you in this transaction.
Good luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Contract is king. It will say exactly what should happen in this situation.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Contract is king. It will say exactly what should happen in this situation.
Thank you all for your reply!
On the contract there is nothing about the seller's failure to close. In this situation, would hiring a lawyer be helpful?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Was this a custom home? I'm not familiar with that builder.

I'm curious too, what type of "repair work in the community" could cause a delay on your home? Unless it is a BRAND NEW subdivision and the infrastructure wasn't completed on time, I can't think of anything that would cause a delay on construction. The only possibility I can think of is if they had to tear up the road to the point that materials couldn't be delivered, but they should have known that more than 12 days before closing. But if there really was something beyond their control, the contract most likely says they aren't liable.

Finally, did they say how long the delay would be? Are you talking a few days, in which case, your financial loss should be zero, assuming you planned correctly and gave yourself a cushion, since new construction usually closes late; or are you talking about a significant delay, like a month or more?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Was this a custom home? I'm not familiar with that builder.
Tract builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate