U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 AM

12 posts, read 31,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
We purchased a house with crushed pipes to the leach field.
It's anyone's guess how they got crushed, but I suspect it was the installation of the swimming pool rocks done by the previous owner. Pretty but extremely heavy and limited access as to how they could have come in.

We renegotiated the price.

I am confused as to why your septic inspection did not show the crushed leach field trenches? Did they feed down cameras?
Then you would have in writing the further issues with the septic and the seller would have to disclose it to every potential buyer.

We didn't get as much as we asked for either, but we got a good reduction off the price of the house which was good. It was a short sale so we were unable to negotiate them fixing it or giving a credit, either of which would have been preferable in the short term.

Good luck. I don't know how much you requested, but make sure you get enough. The quotes people give on here (like $4000 for a whole new leach field) are so far from the reality of what it would cost in our area as to be useless.

So much depends on where you are, what room you have, access, trees, etc. Ours would cost a fortune to replace altogether.
The Septic inspection was done by the county health department, the bank requires an official report from them for a disclosure statement. The county just ensures it is in working order at the time of the inspection. He did make notes as to where the fields were located. I also informed my Realtor that this will now have to be disclosed to all future buyers. Whether the current owners understand that or not IDK.

I did get a couple quotes for the drain fields. There are two of them, one for shop(900ft/sq) one for house(2550ft/sq) which equals 300 and 840 lineal feet. I was quoted an average price of $14/ft. I prorated the time from install until now and reduced that % by the typical lifespan of a system (25yrs).

My Realtor called last night. Apparently they were waiting for us to counter again. Sounds like we will be looking somewhere else, our contract states that if we cannot come to an agreement after 3 business days the purchase agreement is cancelled as long as we sign the cancellation notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM

I called my realtor this morning, informed her per contract that we have until end of business today tocome to an agreement or contract becomes null and void and for her to prepare a notice of contract cancellation to be signed later in the day. Not more than two hours later they changed their counter, they went to 2/3rds of what I asked. I told Realtor we couldn't do it. Told them either full discount or the 2/3 plus the mower that is stitting in the garage, that's our final. I have an idea what the mower is worth but never verified it. A few hours later Realtor calls back (2pm) she says it's a no go. I tell her ok, I will be by this afternoon to sign cancellation. 4 pm comes with another call, they want another day to figure out if they can swing it. Cancellation papers on hold one more day.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Wow, interesting couple days. We had a verbal agreement late yesterday to accept the reduction from one owner but the other refused and ignored their Realtor until late last night. He said he cannot do it. I told my Realtor I would be in this AM to sign cancellation form. I show up this AM, she states she has been talking to other Realtor this AM and think they may have it figured out. She asked if I would remove one repair item($1500) from the addendum,I agreed. Apparently seller's realtor is taking a reduction in commission to get this done. Just moments ago I received a signed agreement via E-mail. Finally done I think. Original offer was on June 2nd, almost 4 wweks later.
429 asking price
391 agreed price
377 final price

Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Closed on house yesterday. Long day. The husband refused to lift a finger. His wife had family and friends over picking up his mess around yard shop for the last two days. That was his responsiblity. We did a walk-through at 10 AM closing was scheduled for 11. Yard and shop still a mess, skidsteer still there with all kinds of junk. We wait, he pulls in at 11, we figured he was there just to grab his valued items assuming we went to closing. Anyways we stayed all day, made him(ordered) to have a roll off(dumpster) delivered. We had to go step by step with him to do anything. We (wife/me) treated him like a 6 year old. That's the only way he would do it. Anyways, made it to closing @ 430. We sat around to ensure they closed too. We went back to house as he still wasn't done. Took him until 9 pm to remove the last of it. We had in writing that anything there after 7PM was ours. He said he would leave things and get later. We just said if it stays it ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate