U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,350,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemom View Post
Credit to AmericanMafia.com:

On Jan. 21, 1998, Greater Cleveland was rocked by the news that 44 law enforcement officers were arrested in a massive FBI sting of a police-protected drug courier ring. Most of the police officers and jail guards thought they were protecting drug shipments for a mobster named John Amico. However, Amico was an undercover FBI agent. Unknown to most Clevelanders is that Amico and the rest of the FBI began its investigation in March 1995 by targeting a regional network of organized crime figures -- the cop drug courier sting was simply an offshoot.

Also, you can check out on Cleveland.com's entire series of articles on the FBI's Public Corruption trials
under the County In Crisis headlines. Frank Russo, Cuyahoga County Auditor, pled guilty and is doing 21 years. Many of the people/companies in the corruption probe were construction companies and other real-estate related industries. There are dozens of articles so I'm not posting specific links, but it's a good read if you're interested.

And that has what do do with real estate agents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,724 times
You have to follow your instincts. If you feel like your agent isn't looking out for your best interest, then maybe it's time to look for a new agent - you may have to go through a few people, but helpful agents do exist and they make searching for your new home a much better experience!

I'm currently also on the hunt for a new home and I LOVE my agent! She really listens to what my family is looking for in a home and she frequently updates us on homes that may fit our needs. Usually she will email us listings of homes that fit our major requirements and then she'll add a little note telling us which ones she recommends we visit.

One way to tell if you have a good agent is if he/she is free with information. For example, my agent always gives us the pros/cons of the neighborhood (ie. traffic); when we first met her, she explained to us in great detail how the whole house buying process would be like; she would listen to our concerns about the house and she would offer up solutions (and even offer to get a quote); and she's always on top of our questions - all of those are just automatic for her and we don't have to go out of our way to find out what we need. There were a couple of houses that she actually suggested we passed on (even though we were ready to make an offer) due to the neighborhood not being a good fit for my family - a good real estate agent will NOT be afraid to loose a sale if it's in the best interest of his/her buyer!

I also recommend that you search for an agent that either specializes in the location you want or have them live around it - this is a great way to get "insider tips" about the area!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM

315 posts, read 598,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Those officers all went to prison in '98 and served their time. While in prison they knew they'd never be law enforcement so they took classes to become licensed brokers. However, being Realtors is just a front for their drug running, and they aren't very good when they get a client that actually needs representation.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,488,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
Those officers all went to prison in '98 and served their time. While in prison they knew they'd never be law enforcement so they took classes to become licensed brokers. However, being Realtors is just a front for their drug running, and they aren't very good when they get a client that actually needs representation.
Get a good therapist

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 15,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I guess you missed the part about how it was many people in the local real estate industry implicated and/or straight-up indicted in the corruption scandal, but just for another perspective, think of it this way (which I'm sure you'll have some equally snappy sort-of-irrelevant comeback for)...

Trust a cop? Nah....Trust a government official? Nah....but trust a REALTOR? Yeah baby!

Welcome to Thieveland, Ohio...Dollar-Bill!

Now I'm going to go watch the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video on Youtube. BriansZ, you had me and my husband laughing our bee-hineys off...

Last edited by Pokemom; 06-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Goodness, my grammar..."my husband and I"

Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM

265 posts, read 466,211 times
If you don't trust him and this is a "gut" feeling than move on... that said

1. In the old days, a client would come into the office and the agent would review listings in the office. This has been replaced (for better or worse) but sending and discussing on the web. I like more personal interaction.
2. Any offer, regardless of how low must be be presented - that's the law... BUT, if the agent knows that several offers exist and a higher offer is recommended, take the advice. You don't want to posture yourself out of a deal.
3. Unlike other industries, competitors in this biz are often friends. I can call someone from a competitor and say, "how's it going on 123 Elm Street," and find out if any offers are on the table. The agent won't disclose what the offers are or any details but will give that advice.
4. Chances are, if three others are interested in the house the price is within a reasonable range and $30K under ask won't get the deal. The agent may be giving you good advice. If you're the only offer, you can play the game of starting low to see where it ends up, but with multiple bids, chances are the home will go quickly for a price close to ask.

To those who are slamming Realtors... we are like any profession. Good doctors and bad, good teachers and bad, good attornies and bad. We are not theives, robbers or crooks. Find the right one and they're worth every penny and more.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,283,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
If you can't trust your Realtor, you have a serious issue. No matter who is at fault, there is a communications breakdown.

While there is no perfect prescription for finding the perfect Realtor, I recommend a few actions.

#1. Interview at least 3 and maybe 5 to represent you. Study their resume' just as you would study the resume' of someone you are hiring. Which is exactly what you are doing.

#2. I cannot tell you the value of experience. Yes, I know, getting experience without opportunity is an age old issue, but you it's your money.

#3. Get references/referals. Go to a local beauty/barber shop and ask the clientele and staff for their recommendations. There is no better source of opinions... LOL

#4. I recommend that you consider Realtors with multiple designations such as CRS, CRB, GRI, ABR. While again not a perfect baromenter of integrity or competence, the designations do have a better than industry average for performance. The more held, the more likely you'll get greater performance.

Good luck! If I can help you in any other way, let me know.

btw: I hold CRB, CRS, CDPE, CIAS, SFR, & e-Pro.

While I agree with most of what was said, I don't necessarily agree that bought designations that are paid to renew annually are the best barometer of a successful transaction.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM

7,968 posts, read 10,244,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito210 View Post
How can you trust a real estate agent?
Age old question. Age old answer--you don't.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM

322 posts, read 466,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well out here the seller signs offers so you know they were presented.

You need to rely on your gut. If your gut is telling you that the agent isn't right for you, listen to it and find someone else. You can interview buyer agents and you should interview three.
Great advice.

When you conduct your research on the Agents, check to see if they have listings in their names or their Shop's name as well. Come into the interviews knowing what the average DOM's are for themselves or shop, this will give a good indicator about the proactive side of their business.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 311 times
Real estate agents mainly provide information you require about the property. I prefer these agents because they have a lot of information which we don't have and at last decision is in our hand that what we have to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate