Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times

Advertisements

I truly have nothing whatsoever against realtors and I've worked through realtors before, but I don't understand why one would use a realtor vs dealing directly with a builder when buying new construction (as I recently saw on a House Hunters episode). We want a much more energy efficient home than standard or code minimums, so we'll probably have to buy new. Realtors deserve to get paid for their efforts, but I don't understand the value they'd provide for the increased cost - it's there whether it's readily apparent or not.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,974 times
I used one for a new home about 10 years ago (buyer's agent). She got me a better deal, including free closing costs.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
There should not be any increase in cost. A buyer's agent experienced in new construction should be able to help you evaluate things like lot selection, inspections, upgrades and options customary for your location, etc. They will also advocate for you in the event of a mistake.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There should not be any increase in cost. A buyer's agent experienced in new construction should be able to help you evaluate things like lot selection, inspections, upgrades and options customary for your location, etc. They will also advocate for you in the event of a mistake.
This in particular, though all of the other reasons hold, as well.

An agent who knows the ground (and the builders) can often get you a better deal, knows what builders are and are not allowed to do, understands the pressures that builders are under, keep a close eye on all the players (it's not just you and the builder), shepherds the deal through the lender and the title company, makes sure you get the appropriate inspections and often attends them for you or with you - there's LOTS that they do, a lot of which is the same whether it's a builder or resale, come to that. Remember, the builder's rep you work with in many states is not required to be a licensed agent and their responsibility and duty is SOLELY to the builder, not to you.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
There should not be any increase in cost.
Not trying to argue, but how is that possible? If a builder has to pay a realtor a cut, there's that much less room in negotiating with the builder (were there no realtor involved). Again, I am not suggesting realtors don't deserve to be paid.

Quote:
A buyer's agent experienced in new construction should be able to help you evaluate things like lot selection, inspections, upgrades and options customary for your location, etc. They will also advocate for you in the event of a mistake.
I would think the builder would be familiar with (indeed be the source for info on) "lot selection, inspections, upgrades and options?" I'm retired and we'll be relocating (not CO or TX) and buying a new house in the next two years, and we just can't afford to pay for unnecessary services (if that's the case).

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not trying to argue, but how is that possible? If a builder has to pay a realtor a cut, there's that much less room in negotiating with the builder (were there no realtor involved). Again, I am not suggesting realtors don't deserve to be paid.

I would think the builder would be familiar with (indeed be the source for info on) "lot selection, inspections, upgrades and options?" I'm retired and we'll be relocating (not CO or TX) and buying a new house in the next two years, and we just can't afford to pay for unnecessary services (if that's the case).

I agree with you. My last two homes were new purchases in established HOA sub divisions. I had been around the block buy and selling homes enough to know how to negotiate with the developers sales/real estate people better then most real estate people I ever met or did business with. Of course I come for a sales/marketing, business owning background so I can read conrtracts and know how to negotiate.

Remember real estate agents get paid when the deal closes so they want all deals to get to that close, sometimes at the expense of others. Also few know squat about construction, so be real careful there.

Also in new home construction pay attention to warranties. They are your best protection and peace of mind with a new house.

I did have a lawyer check most of the documents out. My lawyer said it was all typical developer/real estate BS. We did change one part about house delivery time away from so and so unless.....LOL

Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Just do a quick search for the issues people have with builders and then understand agents can help with those issues. I know there's one on the front page.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I had been around the block buy and selling homes enough to know how to negotiate with the developers sales/real estate people better then most real estate people I ever met or did business with. Of course I come for a sales/marketing, business owning background so I can read conrtracts and know how to negotiate.
Me too, after a career of it, I also enjoy "the dance" and getting the best deal I can. And I appreciate that both sides have to meet, but three "sides" is going to be more expensive for a knowledgeable, willing buyer all else being equal.

But I know that many people hate negotiating and would rather turn it over to someone else, in which case a realtor might indeed save them $ over what they could do for themselves.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Remember real estate agents get paid when the deal closes so they want all deals to get to that close, sometimes at the expense of others.
You can say the same thing about the builder. They have their own best interest in mind, not yours.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
It's kind of a black box. We are building a custom home and are using a realtor, who represents us and the builder. She is the builder's realtor (not sales agent, as she has multiple listings on the MLS for resale homes).

Having 1 person for all parties to speak to is a huge plus and I think she helped us get a nice deal. More importantly, she'll help us with details (which colors, finishings... to pick from a potential resale prospective). If she wouldn't have offered this help, I would have found a buyer's realtor.

The one thing that you will never know is would the builder have negotiated more with a buyer's agent. I don't know, honestly. At the end of the day, we wanted someone who would help us through the process and the builder's realtor, who represents us as well is doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate