Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Since I have come across the Carpenter Bees in many places I thought I would tell you something about them. They have been a nuisence, on numerous occasions, and here is some important facts.
I first learned of them when a friend, in a very large home, had to replace her entire frontage of an area of the home in front. She explained to me what they are and what they do and it is simular to
this article in this link.
Eastern carpenter bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have watched a shed get lots of these bees and also watched the process of removal. Not fun in the least and time consuming. They don't all tend to vacate the area.

I also watched a homeowners porch area have to get an exterminator to vacate these destructive bees. She, along with many others thought the bee was a bumble bee. These bees tend to look like a bumble bee. They will though guard the area. They will buzz around you back and forth to get you to leave. The tell-tale sign here was the saw dust left behind. As soon as I heard the word saw dust I knew it was the carpenter bee at work.

One time I almost bought a home with these round holes. The realtor told me it was a woodpecker hole. However...I was aware by this time, that a well rounded circle under a quarter size would most likely be the boring bee. Come to find out they had treated their home for boring bees previously.

In another home down south I was also swarmed by " bumble bees " guarding their area. I knew it meant that the wooden home I was looking at to buy must also have an area of destructive Carpenter Bees. The realtor claimed no knowledge of such. This is when your own homework comes to play. no realtor ever admitted the presence of Carpenter Bees to us. I'd give that some thought...

Once they arrive and settle in an area it takes quite a bit of work to get them out. The bees also tend to come back to the same area to nest again.
We have recently found that even putting swimming towels on the railing of the pool will have them under there boring holes in the deck railing.

These bees will harbor in your home and eat the wood, just like a termite. Paint and stain doesn't deter them. There are special solutions that go into those holes and the bees will slowly drop out and die. Then the area must be sealed up. It takes a few visits from the exterminator to eliminate them.
There is also some solutions found online.

Just be fully aware to look high up for these round holes which is you clue to "ask" the inspector to look into it further.

If you rid yourself of Carpenter Bees be aware to look around at other places they might settle into.
Stay on top of it, and best of luck. Sum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Carpenter Bees, HYG-2074-06

Carpenter Bees — Entomology — Penn State University

Some other interesting facts on the Carpenter Bees...

How To Get Rid of Carpenter Bees

Hope this is of help to DIY pest control of carpenter bees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate