U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 25,740 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I agree - we are checking to see if there will be any increase in costs and if so then perhaps ask them to absorb it... other than that we would like to be nice and help them out so they don't lose the house they are trying to get. I am sure the sellers are pretty stressed from their bidding war situation, and of course, as buyers, we know how that feels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM

8,242 posts, read 10,002,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstrom View Post
Oh, additional information - they are not paying anything toward closing costs at this point. Just found this out about this morning and they are kind of rushing us for an answer.
A couple of seller-related closing costs are: Seller's RE fees, Title insurance, pro-rated tax credit and a few others (Seller Closing Costs). Have you somehow negotiated some of these fees away? Closing early may also be an issue with your bank, who will need to get the loan appraisal and paperwork completed and approved before the closing (?). You will also need time for a final inspection and any related 'fixes'

Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Well the bank told my realtor that they can do the earlier closing date, and it will cost us about an extra $600 at closing. Our realtor went ahead and told the sellers' realtor that we can close early and then asked if they would *possibly* consider paying the additional costs. I don't want to sound like a real money-grubber or something, but we have a our budget tightly planned and $600 means a lot right now. It just seems that if they want to change the closing date that was agreed to in the contract, then it shouldn't be a big deal to expect them to pay those costs.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,313,006 times
What about the two extra weeks of "double" rent? This is business, not personal. You aren't looking to make a profit, but I think you are justified in getting additional expenses paid for. I would have asked for more than the $600.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM

2,393 posts, read 4,862,876 times
> Our realtor went ahead and told the sellers' realtor that we can close early and then asked if they would *possibly* consider paying the additional costs

Your realtor should not be making agreements on your behalf.

You are entirely too timid.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,291,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Our realtor went ahead and told the sellers' realtor that we can close early and then asked if they would *possibly* consider paying the additional costs

I say explain you are willing to meet their request but it will cost you some $600 and you simply ask that they understand and pay such one way or another, which I expect they will agree to

They say no, then maybe I say go have sex with yourself.

Trying to be nice and professional is far from being timid.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 11,560,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

It's entirely appropriate for their agent to negotiate the compensation on their behalf after discussing the parameters of what they will accept. If they did not have a discussion, then I would agree that is not appropriate. Any agreement reached will have to be signed off by the buyer and seller in a contract addendum.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Appreciate the replies! We actually told our realtor that those are the terms by which we would agree to close early - if those costs could be covered by them. I have no idea why she presented it to them as though we are asking for the favor. We have not heard back from the seller yet, but we are certainly going to hold firm on asking for the costs to be covered. I don't think we are being unfair. I *do* feel like our realtor is trying to ok the earlier closing date and sort of skirt over what we want.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Ah - well I have heard now that the sellers are thinking it over and are none too pleased. Based on the responses I have seen here, I feel pretty confident that we have not asked for a lot and others would have possibly asked for more based on the double rent/mortgage, insurance, etc.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

14,376 posts, read 16,295,952 times
the sellers can choose to close on the original day or they can choose to close early if they pay $600. Let them think it over. No problem either way for you. The ball is in their court.

Most likely they are in deep negotiations now for the home they are trying to buy. IF an agreement is made, they likely will pay the $600 and close early. This is probably what they are waiting for...to know whether they have a firm contract to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or