U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM

6,159 posts, read 10,897,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Update on the house next door: Just as I predicted, they are doing major work on it now even though it was sold for $90K more than our supposed value of $650 and our house being in better condition.

The bathrooms (except for a new basement bathroom) of the house next door are old and needed remodeling and as I write I can hear them tearing down a wall of the bathroom upstairs to modernize it and improve it. They just finished doing over a total mess of a long driveway, putting in new concret, they dug up the thin concrete of the 2 car garage and are going to put in new concrete there, and, something I didn't want to mention because I knew I would sound biased and get hell, but the previous owner was not only negligent of her house but also a notorious pack rat and she sold the house for $740K "as is" and now they have just removed, get this, a 1940's stove and an upright piano from the garage, and this after they removed a ton of bags of garbage and broken furniture.

I have, if anything, been charitable about the house next door and so if you say I am inconsistent it was that I was trying not to sound as if I was exaggerating the bad condition of that house and the way in which it was left at sale.

And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,313,006 times
Internet forum rule #1. Never ever make a post saying this is your last post in a thread. 99.9% of the time it just makes that person a liar.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM

4,626 posts, read 7,203,593 times
Any house is only worth what another individual is willing to pay for it. PERIOD.

But your house isn't for sale.

That 1940's stove - to some people - is worth some money. Retro is very au courant!

I'll bet the house next door contains period elements that some people value highly which are not extant in your house.

But your house isn't for sale now, is it.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,236,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
internet forum rule #1. Never ever make a post saying this is your last post in a thread. 99.9% of the time it just makes that person a liar.

lol!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Any house is only worth what another individual is willing to pay for it. PERIOD.

But your house isn't for sale.

That 1940's stove - to some people - is worth some money. Retro is very au courant!

I'll bet the house next door contains period elements that some people value highly which are not extant in your house.

But your house isn't for sale now, is it.

Oh, boy, no matter what I say I am going to invite contrarians who have vivid imaginations!

You never read the earlier thread or posts (not blaming you).

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
And?
Are you serious? That house is being torn apart as I write...

Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
You seem desperate to convince strangers on the Internet that it was really worth more than your agent said it was, so I don't think it's that big of a jump to post some pictures (obviously without a specific address) and let us be the judge. We've listened to your feelings and opinion on it for over a hundred posts, now I want some evidence! After all, there's three sides to every story.
May I ask you to please post your house, with inside and outside photos ACROSS THE INTERNET even though you are not even selling it? Are you crazy?

Do you value your privacy? I do! Maybe you don't, but I do.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM

6,159 posts, read 10,897,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Are you serious? That house is being torn apart as I write...
And?

What does that have to do with the value of YOUR house?

I'll give you the answer suggested by what I've learned in my 11 years selling real estate; little to nothing.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM

33,073 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
And?

I'll give you the answer suggested by what I've learned in my 11 years selling real estate; little to nothing.
I agree with this statement.

A house is only worth what you can get someone to pay you for it. Period.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
And?

In 11 years of selling real estate I would hope you would know that if two houses, side by side, same lot size, same EXACT house by same builder in same year with same layout and materials - and my house being in better condition, better maintained, etc. IS comparable no matter HOW you protest or what you say. Just your saying it does not mean you know what you are talking about re: this situation.

By the way, I was in the car with a realtor and a broker on the way to a feral cat colony we are going to trap neuter and return (TNR), only 2 days ago (I get calls from all around for help, am listed with the Alley Cat Allies - I am certified tnr) and I told them that we figured that the house next door would get $650K and it went for $740K needing much work and the broker told me a story: He said that he has colleagues who rue the day that they bailed out of our area in 1990 or 1991 thinking it was best to sell and get out, and lo and behold the Koreans came right after that, and now the Chinese are in even greater number than the Koreans, and now the real estate values are dramatically much higher. This area is not comparable to many areas in the U.S.: It is a very active market. And the Chinese are even in greater number here. My new neighbors, the ones gutting the house next door now, are Chinese American. This is NYC and we are in the midst of a renaissance of this area due to Korean and Chinese immigrants liking and buying up in the area for the proximity to great transportation options and the very top school distict in all of NYC. (They are trying to get their kids into the Ivy League and MIT type schools and this is the district that offers the best chance.)

The broker was not surprised at my story. Even if you are. You live in NJ - you know what it is like here. You must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate