U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 310,393 times

Advertisements

Let it go. Unless your house has sold, for any price, then you really do not have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM

2,646 posts, read 5,993,746 times
Wink Yes it did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
OK, everyone, I can see that my post here stuck a nerve with some and so I will no longer post about this topic.

I just wanted people to know that I was not off in my judgement about the value of our house. Several people said that I was unable to face the real value of our house and I resented that.

Good bye.
and Martha, you will find that whenever you hit a nail directly on it's warped head, you will strike a major nerve w/some in this particular forum. I could not agree w/you more and I certainly understand how pleased you must feel by following your gut feeling. Good for you.
Koale

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM

7,613 posts, read 17,701,727 times
I think this post is the equivalent of "ninny, ninny, boo-boo." If you want to interpret the reactions as striking a nerve, well, okaaaaay.

As others have said, anything you say is moot, until you have a contract in hand. After all, value is what someone is willing to pay.........so far, no one is willing to pay.

Wanna play ring around the rosie next?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,489,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Brandon, you didn't miss anything. In August of 2012, the home will have been listed with the agency for two years. (Yes she signed a two year listing agreement). The home has never sold, no price changes, etc. It's a long story, here is the original post from March of 2011. I read the entire thread on Monday when I was bored!
Our agent does not seem to care about us

Hey Brandon, did you happen to catch the results of the College World Series?
Yes, fortunately I'm a Clemson grad and USC is our rival.

There's no way I'm wasting time on that thread. I don't care if the OP had an appraisal done. If she was on the market 2 years at a lower price and never sold that appraisal isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 7,216,181 times
1) The house didn't sell over two years at any price correct?

2) Until you have an offer this is not the "value" of your house....

3) You seem like quite an annoying customer, the kind that haggles over 50 cents incessantly and calls 20x a day.....

Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 PM

42,124 posts, read 31,869,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Then, the exact same house next door, in worse condition than ours (which I wrote about here in this section) was for sale and 3 weeks ago it sold for $740K. That house needs some work, too. Same house, same builder, same age, same layout and features and ours is in better condition.

Why did your neighbors house sell and your place remains amongst the unsellables, after almost 2 years?
Did you list at the price that was recommended or some other $?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM

6,330 posts, read 9,076,123 times
I'm pretty confused here. Granted, I didn't read the original thread (and don't plan on it) but here's my understanding . . .

You disagreed with the real estate agent you hired about the value of your home. You listed your home on MLS (it sounds like at the lower price) and it failed to sell during a two year period. During that time, your neighbor listed their house for more money and sold the house for more money. You state your neighbor's house was less desirable than yours. Meanwhile, you hired an appraiser who came in and valued your home higher than what you had it listed for.

Did I misinterpret anything? If I didn't I don't think your argument has a leg to stand on. The public puts entirely too much faith in appraisal reports. As a person who deals with these reports on a regular basis, I know they're often less than accurate. I would say the appraiser you hired was wildly innaccurate if your house was on the market for two years and failed to sell. The true measurement of the value of your house doesn't come from real estate agents and it doesn't come from appraisers. It comes from the market (i.e. the buyers). Once your house sells and only at that point will you truly know it's values. Real estate agents and appraisers are just out here trying to figure out what the market is telling us.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM

7,840 posts, read 6,187,633 times
I called a Realtor because I was thinking about selling my house a couple of years later.

The Realtor I called was known as the biggest/best in the business for selling homes quickly at list price.

The Realtor came over to my house immediately, and next thing you know, I had agreed to list that very moment.

(I made a mistake and should not have signed right then).

POSSIBLY in a not-completely-professional manner - the Realtor immediately had a customer who decided to make an offer.

I felt the offer was too low, so i rejected it.

Since then, I've done some research which leads me to conclude the price I agreed to list for was far too low.

A "word to the wise" - always be comfortable when you choose that agent/sign the agreement. Part of achieving comfort is accepting and agreeing to what the market value of the home is.

The End.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM

718 posts, read 1,754,280 times
I will bet you told you story to the appraiser? You take 3 appraisers, spin them around 3x and not only will the numbers be different x3 but so will the square feet in your house. ChicagoRE was correct...."let it go, Louie!"

Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM

136 posts, read 281,373 times
I'm not going to read through the entire history of the post this thread refers to. But, I will say, that I think I understand the source of her frustration, in that it's unfortunately NOT uncommon for agents (generally speaking) to not respect the opinions or needs of the client, even when the client is wrong - and that's their right. (And of course, it's also the right of a listing agent to NOT take a listing in such case, if they feel it will be grossly overpriced.)

Prior to becoming an agent myself, I experienced similar situations during a 12 years period where I bought & sold many of my own homes in Texas. It got to the point, where I HAD to have my own data in preparation to "battle" the agent's own impressions of market value. These were circumstances where the potential listing agent had very strong preconceived notions regarding the actual market value of the home(s) - and on the most recent occasion (with more than one agent being interviewed), their strong opinions of value were prior to even visiting the home! That had no clue regarding the build quality, the finish-out, the golf course, the cul-de-sac, the 180+ degree view, etc., etc.

It seemed the more I "politely" pressed my research, the more push-back I got in return. Only one agent complimented me on my knowledge or research, which was based upon watching the market for 3 years. Instead, the others approached this situation as though they had to "show me" that they were the experts on all aspects of my home. Instead of battling on price, this is when agents need to demonstrate their value to the potential client on other matters besides setting the price (and please don't make me list the numerous benefits of using a real estate agent). And one of those attributes, is RESPECT for the potential client - even in times where there's disagreement.

I will never forget one listing agent who just flat out told me I was "wrong" over the phone - she repeatedly quoted the average price per square foot for the area, dismissing my own opinion of value as "extremely high" - and that I wouldn't get anywhere close to what I was seeking. Needless to say... I didn't interview her in person. In any event, the agent who was the most "respectful" of my research got the listing. I was correct about the value - the home sold in 14 days, and I went on my way.

Point being, I think far too many agents assume sellers are completely ignorant and jaded when it comes to their own homes. Unfortunately, quite a bit of real estate training perpetuates these assumptions. Rarely do you encounter training on "How to Handle (and respect) Educated Sellers" - or more important, "How to Gracefully Handle Clients Who May Disagree With You."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate