U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM

11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times

Advertisements

I am single and trying to decide between buying a house or a condo. But are single family homes made just for families and not single people? I don't have a family, it's just me. So why do they call them "single family"? What about condos? Are those designed only for single people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am single and trying to decide between buying a house or a condo. But are single family homes made just for families and not single people? I don't have a family, it's just me. So why do they call them "single family"? What about condos? Are those designed only for single people?
Single-family detached home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether YOU are single or not is not a factor. You can buy condos, SFRs, etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,320,873 times
Seriously?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM

26,875 posts, read 57,924,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Seriously?
I think it's the schools.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM

31,201 posts, read 57,331,348 times

Say what?!?!???

Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
Make sure that you retain a good real estate attorney and have a good real estate agent to assist you when you go to buy a house. That's good advice for anyone but, for some reason, I feel it's particularly important advice for you.

Of course, a single person can live in any type of housing unit--whether it be apartment, condo, or single family house. Pick something where the size and characteristics of the property meet your needs. Where did you grow up...and what kind of house did you live in? You must have some knowledge about housing.

A "single family" house does sound a bit odd in some respects (as I rationalize that we really shouldn't treat anything as a dumb question, as long as it is sincere). A "single family" house is a stand-alone, detached residence designed for one family--as opposed to structures designed for multiple families, such as an apartment building. Plus, most communities, through their zoning ordinances, do not allow more than one family to live in a housing unit, so I suppose the phrase could also have its origin in that fact.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 AM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Make sure that you retain a good real estate attorney and have a good real estate agent to assist you when you go to buy a house. That's good advice for anyone but, for some reason, I feel it's particularly important advice for you.

Of course, a single person can live in any type of housing unit--whether it be apartment, condo, or single family house. Pick something where the size and characteristics of the property meet your needs. Where did you grow up...and what kind of house did you live in? You must have some knowledge about housing.

A "single family" house does sound a bit odd in some respects (as I rationalize that we really shouldn't treat anything as a dumb question, as long as it is sincere). A "single family" house is a stand-alone, detached residence designed for one family--as opposed to structures designed for multiple families, such as an apartment building. Plus, most communities, through their zoning ordinances, do not allow more than one family to live in a housing unit, so I suppose the phrase could also have its origin in that fact.

Good luck to you.

Agreed, although townhomes also qualify as SFRs. Detachment is not a qualification.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,940,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl81 View Post

say what?!?!???
lol!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed, although townhomes also qualify as SFRs. Detachment is not a qualification.
Agreed. I simply overlooked them as virtually all of the single family houses in my area are detached--and nearly all of the "townhouses" in my area are built as condos. Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 22,526,645 times
As others have said, "single family" is a designation of construction style and zoning, and not necessarily anything to do with who lives there. For example, in my area a building can look like a duplex (have 2 units attached by one wall), but be a multi-family duplex, or two single family townhouses. The building codes are different for each. Also, the ownership works differently. On a duplex, they are both on the same lot, and one person owns the whole building. Whereas on two townhouses, they are each on their own lot, and a different person can own each half of the building.

You can have a family who occupies both sides of a multi-family unit, like a duplex. You can have 2 families living in a single family house together (as long as you do not violate laws on occupancy, such as number of total occupants. People get roommates all the time in single family homes.

(For the other conversation going on, count me as one who lives in a single family, attached duplex style, townhouse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or