U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 AM

5,920 posts, read 10,459,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
We would put something like..."all furntire and decor (or all personal property) present in the home on mm/dd/yy to be included in the purchase at no cost and no warranty." This keeps it from becoming an issue with the loan and appraisal.

Make sure your offer substantiates leaving everything behind. And make sure you document with video or pictures exactly what is in the house on that date.

If you do a separate agreement, make sure that the purchase of the furniture is contingent on you purchasing the home.
You've also established *in writing* that everything you just got in the deal has no value.

soooo... if something is taken away by the seller, that *both* parties have agreed "has no value"...(but the buyer wanted included in the deal)...

you could go to court and sue for ....

nothing..

correct?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM

31,648 posts, read 55,388,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You've also established *in writing* that everything you just got in the deal has no value.

soooo... if something is taken away by the seller, that *both* parties have agreed "has no value"...(but the buyer wanted included in the deal)...

you could go to court and sue for ....

nothing..

correct?
It is right in our standard form that listed personal property conveys at no value.

"The following personal property shall be transferred to Buyer at no value at Closing:______________ "

Three points:
1. Minimize red flags for the appraiser.
2. Try to keep the transaction focused on real property, not personal property.
3. Anything in the blank had better be necessary for running a household, i.e., refrigerator, washer, dryer. No tractors, hot tubs, or pool tables, etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

136 posts, read 280,870 times
A lot of this depends on the laws of the state you are in as well.

In Texas, we were supposed to list personal property on a separate contract. However, in Washington state, it seems like anything goes with regard to including personal property in the contract - by way of a blank form (which makes me nervous).

Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 PM

158 posts, read 449,089 times
Hey my area we include furniture a lot. The lender we usually work with recommends simply listing it on a separate piece of paper as an addendum to the contract and not forward it to the bank. Underwriters and appraisers do not want to mess with furnishings. Keep in mind you could lose house that you obviously like a lot over furniture if another buyer comes along.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

265 posts, read 463,376 times
The homes I sell are usually sold without furniture. Regardless of whether I am representing a buyer or seller, when the subject of furnishings comes up I suggest leaving it til after the home negotiations. No need to have a deal go south over the price of a sectional in the family room... and that HAS happened.

BTW, I believe that "no value" means no sales tax is due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or