U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 824 times

Advertisements

I have had seller's remorse for over a year now. It has consumed my every thought of what could have been had we never sold. I realize now that I wasn't grateful for the home we sold when we had it - just as the saying goes "you don't realize what you have until you lose it." I thought I wanted to build a house but the truth is we already owned our dream house, just didn't see it. We lived there for 11 years and we were the original owners. We brought our two daughters home from the hospital to that home. My favorite time of my life so far was in that house. I am craving the feelings I experienced when we lived there. As the holidays are approaching, I can't stop thinking about how I used to decorate and listen to Christmas music. I want to buy my house back so badly and pretend like the last year of my life, and the effect it has had on my husband and our daughters, never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 AM

60 posts, read 51,275 times
It hasn't hit me yet, but I suspect that it will. We've made SO many perfect upgrades to our house in the past year, including one of my now-favorite rooms in the basement. I will be sad to not have it anymore.

But, staying here is not feasible at all because of the commute. I'm trying not to think about how I feel about this house. Thankfully, the newborn/infant years were miserable for me, so I don't have good memories of bringing my babies home. It almost feels like it will be refreshing to move to a home that doesn't have those bad memories. It will also be the first time my husband and I choose a house together; he had this one before we were even dating, and after we got married, it took at least a year for me to feel like it was "my" house, too.

Really, though, I'm just staying focused on the other side. I spent a year or so dreaming daily about my childhood home when my parents sold a few years ago, and was so sad about it. Once I realized that it was really a kind of mourning, I was able to let it go. I plan to do the same if this sale hits me like a ton of bricks later on.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,775,084 times
No. I don't. I think I might be missing the nesting gene or something b/c I just don't get attached to houses. Plus, I see the move as moving toward something more desirable as opposed to leaving something meaningful.

All of that being said, selling is incredibly stressful and disruptive to your daily life. I have put off selling a house because I just didn't want to deal with that stress.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:56 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,057,742 times
We once bought a house that we only lived in for two years. It was a really pretty great big North western contemporary style house that I thought would be our dream home. Sometimes things don't turn out to be what you think. I won't go into our reasons for moving on and why it wasn't a good fit. That doesn't matter. Being happy or not is a decision. If you are absolutely miserable do some soul searching because I don't think its the house. Look at reality. It isn't the end of the world. Move you stuff in, clean all that up and now that you've but the effort in to buying it give it a chance and see. You can move again if this doesn't work. People do it all the time.

I drive by that big brown monster once in a while and still have good memories from when my family was there. Life's too short to be miserable.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,325,878 times
We sold a house a few years ago that my husband and I had built together; my husband was the general contractor and we had it done in 6 months. It was lovely and we also had the most beautiful yard and landscaping in the neighborhood. After 5 years we decided to sell and we had a contract in one day. I had not one bit of remorse or sadness in moving out despite the months of personal labor that went into creating the home.

The next house we bought was a 3 year old home that none of us liked. My husband's relocation package made it foolish not to buy and this was just the best of what was available the weekend we were there to look around. It was no matter; we were planning to be out of there in two years. We can do anything for two years, right? I thought the red brick was ugly and didn't like the layout at all, but there were big beautiful trees everywhere and a lake across the street that made the things we didn't like tolerable. About a year later we realized we really liked the area and the neighborhood and the neighbors, the kids didn't want to move away and my husband jumped through endless hoops to not get relocated again, including taking a position that had him commuting overseas every other week. We tore out the landscaping and made it beautiful, my husband built a gorgeous brick patio, we painted everywhere, updated lighting and flooring, added windows, etc. etc. and liked the house more and more. We discovered we were in one of the most desirable areas in town, and nothing on our street goes up for sale because no one wants to move. After a few big Southern storms I grew to love the bricks.

We have been here for 5 years now and I know our days are numbered. I will be very sad to leave the house no one liked.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:32 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
I was heartbroken when I sold my first house, even though I was leaving to take a new job in the same city as my future husband. I loved that house ...

I was even more heartbroken when the guy who bought it put it up for sale six or seven years later, and I saw what he'd done with it.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 PM

5,592 posts, read 1,960,987 times
Daprano, I am so sorry about your sadness regarding the sale of your house. I can hear your remorse in your post. My husband and I sold our favorite home and property about 6 years ago. We are ok now, but for quite a while afterward, and during the move, it was like someone died.

I hope you will be able to heal from your experience and find peace in where you are. *Hugs*

Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,601,247 times
I was heartbroken when my parents moved away from their home of 38 years. All of us kids grew up in that home. Only my youngest sister lived in both the old home and the new home as a "kid". She had graduated from high school when they owned the old home but was still living at home when they moved to Arizona. I think all of us were. It was the only family home we all had known.

When my parents moved I drove their moving truck for them. When we arrived to this new neighborhood in Surprise, Arizona it was hardly even built. Roads were in and some of the homes were completed. Most were still being built. Along with their home three other homes were done and the remainder were in different stages of being built. For them that helped get them over any kind of remorse that they may have felt. Now after 12 years they are very much a big part of the new neighborhood, being one of the original families on the street.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:27 AM

914 posts, read 702,156 times
No seller's remorse whatsoever. I'm just pissed at myself for buying that house in the first place.

I was so happy to get rid of it. It was a beautiful home, in a very nice neightborhood, but if we stayed there, we would be forced to send our kids to some pretty bad schools for junior and regular high school, and I was so happy to leave. I was paying extremely high taxes for the poor value of my home, and that was also an incentive to get out of there. I actually feel bad for the new owners because I think they made a poor investment, even though they have no kids.

I bought that house new and raised my kids there, but the last time I walked out of it, I was feeling like celebrating!

Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 AM

14,315 posts, read 20,573,599 times
Our first house we sold I was devastated! We had decided to pull the listing because we were not getting offers near what we needed to move. Our agent asked to keep it on for another week and sure enough there came the buyers. I knew as soon as they walked in the house.

I was extremely sad, I loved the house, loved the neighborhood, loved the neighbors!! The taxes were insane and we were paying for private school for the kids. We had enough and decided to move. It still is my favorite house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate